|11.05.14 at 10:04 pm ET|
WEEI’s Chris Villani feels that this winter represents the right time for the Red Sox to deal Clay Buchholz. Do you agree?
|11.05.14 at 11:31 am ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who on Tuesday was named winner of his fourth Gold Glove, checked in with Middays with MFB on Wednesday morning and said he’s feeling substantially better since having surgery on his wrist. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
Pedroia had surgery on Sept. 11 to repair a tendon in his left wrist. It caused an early end to a disappointing offensive season in which he hit .278 with seven home runs and 53 RBIs. In the field, however, he continued to shine, posting a .997 fielding percentage that ranks as the best ever for a Red Sox second baseman.
“It was just frustrating,” he said of the injury that nagged him during the season. “The year before, I found a way to perform, playing nicked up. The year before it was a loose feeling — I tore that ligament in my thumb and everything just felt loose, so I was able to figure it out and let the ball travel more and just try to slap balls the other way and get hits and not try to drive the ball. This year it was more, I was restricted. I didn’t have any motion. It was so swollen and tight all year, I couldn’t get a feel of how to get through it. It was tough. I fought it all year.
“Now that it’s fixed, it’s night and day. I can already tell that. There’s a lot of IOU’s to hand out to people, so I’m pretty excited about it.”
Added Pedroia: “I feel great. I’m back to a hundred percent. I’m doing all my lifts and everything. My rehab’s going good. I’m full strength and I’m pretty excited. It’s been a long time since I’ve been myself. It’s going to be a lot of fun next year.”
Pedoria received a reported eight-year, $110 million contract in the middle of the 2013 season. There are critics who say the Sox overpaid for an aging player who has struggled with injuries of late.
“Honestly, I never put any pressure on me about that,” Pedroia said. “My job is to come out and win games. For what I do to try to help the team win, I don’t know how much they’re paying for that these days but I’m sure it’s a lot, and my contract’s a lot, so there’s not anybody that puts the amount of expectations to perform well than me.
“So, trust me, I don’t need anybody to get on me or anybody to say anything bad about me if I don’t play well. Trust me, I’m pretty hard on myself as it is. I don’t ever look at it like that. I view everything as wins and losses. And obviously when your team’s in last place, that’s how I view it as not good. I’d rather live up to wins and losses than anything else.”
The Red Sox went from last place in 2012 to World Series champions in 2013 back to last place last season. Pedroia is eager to get the Sox back to the top next year.
“I’m trying to do my job, and that’s get ready to help us any way I can to win games, because we’ve got to do that,” he said. “Because last year was pretty painful.”
For more Red Sox news, visit the team page at weei.com/redsox.
|11.04.14 at 7:45 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia won his fourth career Gold Glove as the top second baseman in the American League. Pedroia became the first Red Sox infielder ever to win as many as four Gold Gloves. He’d previously been tied for the franchise record of three with Frank Malzone and George Scott. He’s the fourth Red Sox to win as many as four, joining Dwight Evans (8), Carl Yastrzemski (7) and Fred Lynn (4).
Fangraphs had Pedroia as the major league leader at second base by a considerable margin in UZR, crediting him with having saved 18.3 runs, a mark that compared favorably to finalists Ian Kinsler (13.0) and Robinson Cano (-3.8). John Dewan’s Plus/Minus system had Pedroia as second to Kinsler in both runs saved (17 for Pedroia, 20 for Kinsler) and defensive plays made above average (24 for Pedroia, 30 for Kinsler). But American League managers determined that Pedroia was the superior defender.
A pair of Red Sox outfielders who were Gold Glove finalists did not win the award. Yoenis Cespedes fell short of Royals left fielder Alex Gordon, while Jackie Bradley Jr. lost out to Orioles center fielder Adam Jones.
|11.04.14 at 5:43 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced that first baseman Mike Napoli underwent successfully surgery to address his sleep apnea on Tuesday morning. The procedure was performed at Mass. General Hospital by Dr. Leonard Kapan, chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Napoli will stay in the hospital in the immediate aftermath of the procedure but is expected to be released later this week.
‘I’ve been dealing with sleep apnea for a long time, my whole career,’ Napoli wrote in a text to WEEI.com last month. ‘I’ve tried numerous things and none of them worked. Dental mouth piece, CPAP machine, medicines ‘¦ It’s just gotten to the point where I have to get this done.’
Napoli, who turned 33 last week, hit .248 with a .370 OBP, .419 slugging mark and 17 homers in 119 games in 2014, the first of a two-year, $32 million contract he signed with the Sox as a free agent after the 2013 campaign.
|11.04.14 at 10:59 am ET|
It’s no secret the Red Sox will be very active this offseason in their pursuit of free agents.
Usually the Yankees are as well, but according to a N.Y. Daily News report, the Yankees have no plans to target four free agents the Red Sox could be potentially going after — Jon Lester, Max Scherzer, James Shields and Pablo Sandoval.
The report says the Yankees are interested in bringing back two of their own free agents in pitcher Brandon McCarthy and third baseman Chase Headley. Since they were traded to the Yankees during the season both players cannot be offered a qualifying offer. McCarthy went 7-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 14 starts after being traded to the Yankees from the Diamondbacks, while Headley hit .262 with six home runs and 17 RBI in 58 games after coming over from San Diego.
|11.04.14 at 8:56 am ET|
Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona was under contract with the Indians until following the 2016 season, but now he will be around a little longer as the Indians and Francona have agreed to a two-year contract extension through 2018. The contract also includes club options for 2019 and 2020.
Francona has managed the Indians for two seasons and led them to a 92-70 record in 2013 before falling in the Wild Card play-in game. He did win the 2013 American League Manager of the Year Award. This past season the Indians finished with a 85-77 record, but missed the playoffs. He now has 1,206 career wins, the fourth-most wins among active big league managers.
The Indians are the third team Francona has managed. He spent four years with the Phillies from 1997-2000 before spending eight seasons and winning two World Series titles with the Red Sox from 2004-11.
Here are Francona’s thoughts on the extension:
|11.03.14 at 4:21 pm ET|
The Red Sox parted with a pair of utility depth options on Monday, as Carlos Rivero was claimed on waivers by the Mariners and Jonathan Herrera (who finished the year on the disabled list due to surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow) was outrighted off the 40-man roster, a move that will make him a free agent as of 5 p.m. on Monday.
Rivero, signed to a minor league deal last offseason, spent the final five weeks of the year in the big leagues. He stepped to the plate just eight times, going 4-for-7 with two doubles and a homer as well as a walk, giving him a career .571/.625/1.286 line with a 1.911 OPS — the highest career OPS in major league history by a player with at least six plate appearances. Though he played just third base in the big leagues, Rivero played shortstop, third and left field in the minors for the Sox with Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket this year.
Herrera was acquired last winter in a deal with the Rockies for left-hander Franklin Morales. He was expected to serve as a utility backup, with the switch-hitter offering the team a left-handed alternative to spell Xander Bogaerts (short), Dustin Pedroia (second) and Will Middlebrooks (third). In sporadic playing time, Herrera hit .233/.307/.289 in 104 plate appearances. With the emergence of Brock Holt, Herrera was optioned to Pawtucket in the summer. He played well in Triple-A, hitting .309/.350/.382 in 13 games, but didn’t play after leaving a game on July 26 due to what proved to be bone chips in his elbow that required season-ending surgery in August.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery