Full Count Hub International
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Report: A’s out on Beltre

12.29.10 at 2:45 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Ken Rosenthal of Foxsports.com is reporting that the Oakland A’s have pulled out of talks with free-agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.

The report suggests that the A’s made several offers to Beltre, who is believed to be looking for a five-year, $85 million contract. If the A’s are indeed out of the running it would seem that the Angels are the clear leaders in the Beltre derby, though Rosenthal reports that the Rangers are still an option for the third baseman, who hit .321 with 28 home runs and 102 RBI for the Red Sox in 2010.

Read More: Adrian Beltre, Hot Stove,

Agent: Octavio Dotel agrees to one-year deal with Blue Jays

12.29.10 at 10:41 am ET
By   |   Comments

The agent for Octavio Dotel said the reliever has an agreement for a one-year deal with the Blue Jays worth $3.5 million. The agent, Dominic Torres, told ESPNdesportes.com that the team will have a $3.5 million option in 2012.

Dotel, 37, saved 22 games appearing for the Pirates, Dodgers and Rockies last season.

Read More: Hot Stove, octavio dotel,

Mark Teixeira: Andy Pettitte leaning toward retirement

12.29.10 at 6:43 am ET
By   |   Comments

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira said Tuesday that he has been exchanging text messages with Andy Pettitte and he believes that the pitcher is “leaning toward retirement.”

“I think, like everyone else [thinks], if he’s leaning one way, he’s probably leaning towards retiring,” Teixeira said on Tuesday at a news conference to kick off Thursday’s Pinstripe Bowl game at Yankee Stadium. “I think that’s what he’s publicly said. It’s no secret right now. That’s probably where he’s leaning. But in a month and a half, a lot can happen.”

Read More: Andy Pettitte, Hot Stove, Mark Teixeira,

Report: Red Sox among numerous teams in on Brian Fuentes

12.28.10 at 3:19 pm ET
By   |   Comments

According to a tweet from SI’s Jon Heyman, the Red Sox “have company” as far as trying to sign free agent reliever Brian Fuentes goes.

Heyman lists the Blue Jays, Rays, Rockies, Mariners, Twins, Pirates, Phillies, Brewers, Yankees and Mets as teams with an eye on the left-hander, who remains unsigned as the new year draws closer. Fuentes has pitched for three of the teams on that list, as he broke into the majors with the Mariners before spending the next seven years in Colorado. He finished last season with the Twins after being acquired from the Angels and allowed three hits and no runs in nine appearances for Minnesota.

Fuentes had a career-high 48 saves with the Angels in 2009. His 2.81 earned run average between the Angels and the Twins last season was the third-best mark of his career. He posted ERAs of 2.73 and 2.75 in 2008 and 2003, respectively.

If the Red Sox were to bring in the 35-year-old, he would join Bobby Jenks as another major addition to the Sox’ bullpen. The Sox signed Jenks to a two-year, $12 million deal earlier this month.

Read More: brian fuentes, Daniel Bard, Hot Stove, Jonathan Papelbon

Nolan Ryan suggests Rangers may take a run at Adrian Beltre

12.28.10 at 1:02 pm ET
By   |   Comments

During an interview on Dallas radio station SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket, Rangers president Nolan Ryan stated that his team may have interest in free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre, but would have to move some pieces around.

Ryan said regarding Beltre, “Well, when you have a player of his caliber out there, you have to have an interest if it’€™s realistic within what your budget is and how he would fit into your ball club and how you would hit him in the lineup and stuff of that nature. So, obviously with our ball club, it wouldn’€™t be nearly as clear-cut as somebody else, say whether it be the Angels and the rumor is that Oakland has made him offer. I would say if you looked at the free agent market right now, he’€™s probably the premier free agent that’€™s still unsigned.”

Beltre signing with the Rangers would be the best-case scenario for the Red Sox due to the fact that both the Angels’ and A’s first-round picks are protected, not allowing the Sox to receive them as compensation for the third baseman signing with another team. (For more on that, click here.)

To read the complete interview, click here.

Read More: Hot Stove,

Hot Stove live chat with Rob Bradford, noon

12.28.10 at 8:47 am ET
By   |   Comments

Join Rob Bradford in talking all things Hot Stove and Red Sox Tuesday at noon. Bring your questions, comments, and analysis as we edge further away from the offseason drama and closer to spring training. Click below to participate:

Hot Stove Chat

Read More: Hot Stove,

Source: Former Red Sox reliever Takashi Saito to sign on with Brewers

12.27.10 at 12:59 pm ET
By   |   Comments

According to Nikkan Sports (via NPBTracker), former Red Sox relief pitcher Takashi Saito has agreed to a one-year deal with the Milwaukee Brewers worth $3 million. According to a source, the Sox expressed some interest in Saito but not to the point where any negotiations got serious.

Saito (who will turn 41-years-old on Feb. 14) pitched for the Braves last season, turning in a remarkably similar season to the one he finished with in 2009 with the Red Sox. With Atlanta, the righty went 2-3 with a 2.83 ERA in 56 appearances. He struck out 69 and walked 17. With the Sox, he also pitched in 56 games, totaling a 3-3 mark and 2.43 ERA.

The reported deal would pay Saito just $200,000 less than what he made in ’10 with Atlanta. The pitcher had signed on with the Red Sox prior to the ’09 season for one year and $1.5 million, having battled through elbow ailments.

Saito would figure to help set-up Milwaukee closer John Axford.

Read More: Hot Stove,
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Ace Ticket
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify