|12.06.10 at 1:35 pm ET|
Safe to say, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein believes the medical reports and the word of Adrian Gonzalez that his surgically-repaired right shoulder won’t keep him from being an offensive force in the Red Sox batting order.
While WEEI.com’s Alex Speier confirmed Ken Rosenthal’s report of a 7-year, $154 million extension in place for the 28-year-old slugger, Gonzalez was assuring everyone at his news conference at Fenway that shoulder surgery in October won’t affect his 2011 season – his first in Boston.
“I really good,” Gonzalez said. “My shoulder is ahead of schedule. I’ll be ready for Opening Day, no doubt in my mind. I know my body and feel that it feels great. We went through a lot of physicals and they look at every aspect of my shoulder and the rest of my body and they know I’m healthy.”
Gonzalez injured his right shoulder in May and had surgery on Oct. 20. For the last five seasons, he’s played in at least 156 games, and no fewer than 160 in each of his last four years.
What’s so impressive about his numbers (.298, 31 HR, 101 RBI) this past season is that he not only put them up playing at Petco Park in San Diego but he played most of the season in pain. So much so, that his manager, Bud Black, had to force him to take days off to rest it.
“As far as playing through it, it was definitely an adjustment,” Gonzalez said. “There were a lot of times when I played through a lot of pain but the main thing is to be on the field. The main thing for me is I want to play 162 games a year, plus the playoffs. My goal is to be on the field every day regardless of anything else going on. If I can get on the field, I’m going to be on the field. That’s one of the things where Bud Black almost had to talk me into not being on the field sometimes so I would rest the shoulder, neck and all the things that were going on in that area.
“Ive been through that and I know it’s not fun. That’s the reason I had that surgery so I’m now looking forward to playing healthy.”
|12.06.10 at 1:30 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — According to a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations, the Red Sox and Padres discussed several permutations for the deal that sent Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox. Different major league-ready players were discussed in the deal, including outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, left-hander Felix Doubront and infielder Jed Lowrie.
But the Padres opted to go for three solid prospects (Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes), each of whom they believe could develop into big league regulars, and perhaps above-average to well above-average ones. (The Padres simply would not have done a deal without pitcher Casey Kelly.)
The team was especially intrigued by the idea of adding Ellsbury to the deal, but he already has three years of service time behind him, and is now a first-time arbitration eligible player. So, if Ellsbury performed at a high level with the Padres, San Diego felt that it would have been in the exact same position with Ellsbury in two years as it was today with Gonzalez: In a position where they would have to once again trade Ellsbury (a Scott Boras client who is considered unlikely to sign a long-term deal before reaching fre agency) before his final controllable year. Meanwhile, the Sox continue to value Ellsbury as a potentially important part of the club for 2011.
As for the package that the Padres did get, they considered it the package that had the most high-ceiling players. Other proposals that they received might have featured current big leaguers, but San Diego did not feel that it was being offered projected stars, and the idea of short-term gain at the expense of a meaningful long-term infusion of talent in the Sox deal did not make sense for a team whose success will be dictated by its young, controllable players.
It is worth noting that when the Sox and Padres discussed potential deals for Gonzalez in the past, San Diego had been able to target even more substantial returns. In the middle of the 2009 season, for instance, the teams discussed having Clay Buchholz as the centerpiece of a deal that would have included more than three prospects. After the 2009 season, San Diego felt that a fair asking price for Gonzalez started with both Buchholz and Kelly (a proposal that the Sox viewed as too costly). The longer that the Padres waited to deal Gonzalez, San Diego feared, the more his trade value would diminish.
In that sense, Mark Teixeira offered an interesting case study. When traded from the Rangers to the Braves in the middle of 2007 with a year and a half left on his deal, he netted a huge prospect package that included Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus. One year later, when the Braves dealt Teixeira in July — two months before his free agency — Atlanta got a package from the Angels that was featured the highly underwhelming package of first baseman Casey Kotchman and reliever Stephen Marek. The Padres did not want to face such diminishing returns by waiting too long to deal Gonzalez, a fact that helped motivate the deal with the Red Sox.
|12.06.10 at 1:14 pm ET|
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — A baseball source confirmed that the Red Sox and newly acquired first baseman Adrian Gonzalez have agreed to the framework of an extension that will pay the slugger roughly $22 million a year for seven years. The extension, which will likely wait be announced after the start of the season both so the Sox can ensure that Gonzalez’ right shoulder is healthy and so that they can diminish their luxury tax hit, would run from 2012-2018. Gonzalez will play this season for $6.2 million, the option year on a four-year contract he signed with the Padres for the 2007-10 seasons.
Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com was the first to report the seven-year, $154 million framework, which would ultimately result in Gonzalez being paid just over $160 million over eight years in Boston.
|12.06.10 at 1:05 pm ET|
New Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez checked in with the Dale & Holley show Monday, shortly after his introductory press conference at Fenway Park. To hear the interview, go to the Dale & Holley audio on demand page.
Gonzalez reiterated that his hometown Padres and the Red Sox have always been his two favorite teams. “If you are going to get traded and if you are going to go somewhere else, my choice was always Boston,” he said. “So, very exciting day today that I’m able to go the place where I want to be if I’m not in San Diego.”
Gonzalez talked about playing in cavernous Petco Park and how he expects a boost switching to the more comfortable Fenway Park. Said Gonzalez: “I know that most of my outs in the air are to left field, so that’s something to look forward to. ‘¦ I let the ball get deep, I hit the ball in the air to left field. My No. 1 goal at the plate is to get the ball in the air. I don’t want to hit it on the ground. You’ll find out, I’m very slow. Speed is not part of my game. So, for me to have success, I need to hit the ball in the air. When you put the short fence here, with the Green Monster, I’m excited about the possibility of a lot of those outs turning into hits.”
Despite the Red Sox moving in the right field fence nine feet, Gonzalez said he won’t change his approach at the plate and attempt to pull the ball. “It’s one of those things where the only time I’ll ever look to go to right field is when the pitcher forces me, because they’re able to control the inside part of the plate and get to two strikes in doing so,” he said. “You’ll notice that I’ll give every pitcher the inside part of the plate until they prove that they’re going to force me to swing at it. Most pitchers can go in there once and won’t go in there for a strike a second time. So, you just wait for them to go to the other side of the plate.”
Despite battling some injuries ‘ incuding a shoulder issue that required offseason surgery ‘ Gonzalez managed to play in 160 games last season. He indicated that approach will not change. “I want to be on the field,” he said. “I’m a player that doesn’t rely on speed, and I’m a first baseman. At times you go through a whole game and there’s very little movement. So, you can play hurt at that position. I want to play. I want to be on the field. And I’m going to do everything possible every single day to be on that field. My goal is to play 162 games and play every playoff game every year.”
Gonzalez explained that his father and his two brothers were talented baseball players (one brother, Edgar was a Padres teammate for two seasons), and his family’s influence was a key to his success. This included family sessions learning about standout players of years past, such as San Diego native Ted Williams. “Baseball’s been in my family since I was born,” he said. “We breathe baseball, we live baseball. Instead of watching a movie at home, we were watching games from the past. You just learn so much from those experiences, from watching my brothers, from watching everybody.”
The topic of contract negotiations was brought up, and Gonzalez said there simply wasn’t time to finalize an extension before finishing the trade. “I think the biggest problem is the fact that it was a very short window,” he said. “There’s a lot of things that go into a contract negotiation other than just numbers. When it came down to having numbers be thrown back and forth, it was just too short a window. There wasn’t very much things done in that regard. It was one of those things where the relationship, the way we were able to get to know one another on both ends, we felt very confident, given that we’re going to have a full year to get things done, we’re going to be able to get something done. ‘¦ We felt very confident about giving each other our word that we’re going to talk during the season and we’re going to get something done.”
|12.06.10 at 1:00 pm ET|
The Diamondbacks have sent third baseman Mark Reynolds to the Orioles for pitchers David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio, writes ESPN’s Buster Olney. The 27-year-old Reynolds has 121 homers in four major league seasons, and will add some nice power to Baltimore’s lineup. Yet, he’s also a bit wild at the plate, as Reynolds has struck out over 200 times each of the past three seasons, including a major league record 223 in 2009. In the talented AL East, those totals could even increase.
The Diamondbacks, meanwhile, acquired the pitching talent they’ve been hunting for. Hernandez, 25, turned in a 1.05 WHIP and 79:18 K:BB ratio over 57 1/3 innings this year at the Triple-A level. Meanwhile, Mickolio has disappointed since his impressive early years in the minors, but joining a new team could be just the ticket he needs to return back to form. Olney adds that the deal is only pending physicals.
- SI.com’s Jon Heyman writes that Adrian Gonzalez is seeking an eight-year, $161 million extension from the Red Sox.
- The Royals, Phillies, Indians and Astros are all rumored to be interested in free agent outfielder Jeff Francoeur, according to Peter Gammons. FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, meanwhile, adds the Rockies to that list, but cites Kansas City as the most likely landing spot due to playing time.
- Padres general manager Jed Hoyer indicated Monday that closer Heath Bell will not be traded this offseason, reports Heyman. “This isn’t a fire sale,” said the GM, also adding that “in no means are we giving up on year. … [We] will consider signing free agents.”
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks have been in touch with free agent Melvin Mora. He could be a possible replacement at third base for Reynolds.
|12.06.10 at 1:00 pm ET|
It’s something the Red Sox have developed a great reputation for in the past decade – acquiring star players entering their prime. The former ownership did it with Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez. The current ownership added David Ortiz and Josh Beckett. And now, two years after losing out on Mark Teixeira, they’ve done it again.
Meet Adrian Gonzalez. He’s a three-time All-Star who hit .298 with 33 doubles, 31 homers and drove in 101 runs in one of the most dreadful parks for hitters in the majors. And he’s a Gold Glove first baseman.
And the best part… He’s just 28.
[Click here to hear Adrian Gonzalez looking forward to Boston in his prime.]
“I’m very excited about that,” said Gonzalez of playing in Boston entering what should be his best seasons. “It’s one of those things where you want to be in the best place and best situation possible when you’re in your prime and I believe this is the best place and best situation.
“I’m very excited to be a part of this town, the city, the fans, the energy the fans bring, just experiencing the city, the ball park, the teammates, everything about the experience is going to be very exciting. I had a great time with the fans and with the organization in San Diego and have nothing but the best to say about them. This is going to be definitely a new experience but I’m very excited about it because there’s going to be a lot more energy at the ball park.”
But it’s not just the atmosphere he’s looking forward to. It’s the marriage of the resources in Boston, like hitting coach Dave Magadan, manager Terry Francona and his understanding of how to become a force in the Red Sox order for years to come.
“The fact that I’m at the position now that I understand my swing, I understand pitchers’ tendencies, I understand how to watch video and analyze video and all those things are going to help, not just with the overall experience but the intense competition and being in playoff-type games all year long,” Gonzalez said.
|12.06.10 at 12:36 pm ET|
San Diego-based agent John Boggs, who represents Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, is hopeful the two sides can reach a long-term contract extension soon. Following the press conference to introduce Gonzalez, Boggs spoke of the give-and-take that will need to exist for the two sides to reach an agreement.
“I think there’s a good feeling of everybody knowing where they are,” Boggs said. “When you get down to the wire, that’s when you basically drill down to the final line, numbers, where they have their standoff, where we have our standoff, there’s enough for everybody to walk away. There’s obviously going to be a compromise somewhere. ‘¦ It benefits everybody to get things expedited, because I’ve got a player that wants to be here.”
The sides reached an impasse in their negotiations Sunday, leading Boggs to believe the Sox would not go through with trading for Gonzalez. The Red Sox later called Boggs as he was set to leave for the Winter Meetings. After the sides reconvened, the team decided their was enough common ground to move forward with the deal.
At the end of the day, I was surprised we couldn’t push through, and when we walked away from it, it’s a bad feeling, but i’s a feeling of, ‘Hey, we weren’t going to bend on our side and they weren’t going to bend on their side,’ and you have that impasse,” Boggs said. “To get the phone call to say, ‘Let’s regroup,’ was something we hoped for, but we also didn’t know how we were going to resolve this thing. Was it to try to resolve some issues and get a deal done, or was it trying to say, ‘Hey, let’s take a deep breath here. We’ve got a great player. We’re going to work something out if you are reasonable and we’re reasonable. Let’s work in that kind of a spirit and go from there.’
“We’re not working in a spirit to get them by the jugular or squeeze every nickel, or set a precedent-setting deal. My job is to represent the player to the best of my abilities. At the end of the day, the player ultimately has given me direction as to what he would sign for, what deal would make him happy and what team would make him happy. … He’s going to do what’s right for him and his family. It doesn’t mean getting the last penny and playing for a team he doesn’t want to play for. It basically means he wants to be compensated fairly and play for a team that he really wants to play for.”
Sox general manager Theo Epstein was comfortable enough with the good faith between the team and Gonzalez’ representatives and wife, Betsy, that they ultimately deemed it safe to move forward with trading Casey Kelly, Reymond Fuentes, and Anthony Rizzo for the slugger.
“It’s ironic in the end, because through that process and negotiating with [Gonzalez' agents] ‘¦ we reached a point in the end where what actually got the trade done was the fact that we didn’t get a contact done,” Epstein said at the introductory press conference. “There was so much good faith that we were comfortable moving on with the trade with the knowledge that when the time was right, we could sit down and get something done. I think it was an uplifting experience in that way.”
Gonzalez will make $6.3 million in the coming season, the final year of his current contract.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing
- Cup of Coffee: Couch dominates Richmond
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez dominates while Kukuk and Ball struggle
- Manuel Margot promoted to High A Salem