|07.30.10 at 12:51 pm ET|
ESPN columnist Bill Simmons joined the Dale & Holley show Friday morning (listen at the Dale & Holley audio on demand page) because he was “just bored” and to talk about his most recent column that indicates he’s not as interested in the Red Sox this season. “I don’t remember a Red Sox season like this, where I’ve never had less Red Sox conversations with my friends or my family or whatever,” he said. “It’s tough to get through the games,” he added, complaining about how long the games last.
Talking about the current Sox players, Simmons said: “I don’t think there’s anybody with the charisma of Pedro [Martinez], Manny [Ramirez], [David] Ortiz in his prime, going back a little bit further, Nomar [Garciaparra] in his first five years. I don’t think anybody resonates with this fan base like those guys did.” Of J.D. Drew, Simmons said: “He kind of leaves you cold. Jut after four years, it’s the same kind of reactions every time.”
Simmons said the championships in 2004 and ’07 have had their effect as well, indicating that fans need a “kick in the stomach” to get them fired up again. “You’ve got to build up that residue of pain and anguish and all that stuff, and that’s when you get to the final place,” he said. “We’re still living in the grace period.”
Simmons said he’s concerned that the Sox’ season might be over with two months remaining. “I find it hard to believe we can make up six games on Tampa at this point. I think the Yankees are a lost cause,” he said, adding: “It might just not be the Red Sox’ year, which is fine. I think they knew that going in. I think they were hoping they could do the pitching-defense thing for one year. They knew it was going to be a transition year. They knew they had a ton of money coming off after this season, and they were just kind of hoping to patch it together. And it kind of worked, but then the injuries ‘ once [Dustin] Pedroia and [Victor] Martinez went down, that just knocked them out of it, basically.”
|07.30.10 at 6:55 am ET|
Josh Beckett hosted his annual charity event Beckett Bowl on Thursday night at Lucky Strike Lanes near Fenway Park. Tim Wakefield, Dustin Pedroia, Mike Lowell, Jason Varitek and Kevin Cash were among the Red Sox players who bowled to benefit Beckett’s charity. Click here to see photos from the event.
|07.29.10 at 6:53 pm ET|
NESN commentator and Red Sox Hall of Famer Jim Rice joined The Big Show Thursday to talk about his experience and opinion of the Hall of Fame now that he is an official member of “the club” in Cooperstown, while shedding some light on the Red Sox’ decisions facing the trade deadline, and why power hitters seem to be missing from the major leagues.
Following are highlights of the interview. To listen to the full interview, visit The Big Show audio on demand page.
On how it feels to go to the Hall of Fame now that he’s a part of it:
It was much easier. I think when you’re talking about going to the Hall of Fame, you like to think about the guys that you’re going to meet and what’s going to take place. Me, last year, I didn’t have any idea of what to expect, but this year was a little different. I didn’t have to prepare a speech of anything like that. I wasn’t a rookie, you know?
On the talk surrounding the Hall of Fame process and his comfort talking about it now:
Well, the difference is when you talk to people in general and when you talk to the guys that were in the Hall of Fame, some of the guys you have met, they compare you, your playing ability, more accustomed to theirs, and they see what other people didn’t see, or saw at that time. When Hall of Famers consider you Hall of Fame, that’s more of an honor than people that didn’t play. These guys actually played the game and they knew what it took to play the game and how hard I played, and part of the impact — I was getting more impact than anything else — on the baseball field.
On the outgoing and not-so-outgoing Hall of Famers:
I think Frank Robinson, he’s sort of like the mayor of everything. … When you go through the Hall of Fame you’ve got to go through Frank Robinson. Frank will tell you in a minute, “You’re a rookie, so sit there and be quiet.” There’s a ritual, well, I don’t know if it’s an actual ritual, but things that Rickey [Henderson] and I went through and Andre [Dawson] had to go through. We sort of told Andre what was going on, and it was pretty good. Really, it was supposed to be like a 10-minute speech, but it was a 10-minute speech and after that you go back to the hotel and you sit there on the balcony, you rock in a chair and you look out over the water and it’s really fun. I didn’t have to do it this year, and Rickey and I, we told Andre what was going on, and it was very nice.
On the press’ treatment of Rice now that he’s in the Hall of Fame:
I think the toughest thing about guys going to the Hall of Fame, I think, and I’m not a writer, but when you have some of the writers who have never played the game. I don’t know how many guys vote on the Hall of Fame, but I think it should be maybe half players and half writers. Then you have a better idea.
|07.29.10 at 6:45 pm ET|
Former Blue Jays manager and current ESPN analyst J.P. Ricciardi joined The Big Show Thursday to talk about what’s going on in the world of baseball the last two days before the trade deadline, whether the Sox can recover in terms of the pennant race and their ratings, who the biggest surprise is in baseball this season, and how the votes should work for Hall of Famers from the steroid era.
Following are highlights. To listen to the full interview, visit The Big Show audio on demand page.
On Theo Epstein’s thoughts at the trade deadline:
I think he’s definitely been looking at relief pitching, I don’t think there’s any question about that. I think they’ve been in with a lot of good guys. I think the price tag is really high right now, so they’re trying to address their relief pitching, they’re trying to add one more bat which may be in the outfield because their outfield is still banged up. I think they’re just getting everyday players back like [Victor] Martinez, and ultimately their lineup will start to get together a little bit more, but I think they’re going to need one more bat, which I think they’re going to try to get. They might have as much luck on the waiver wire when guys start going through waivers, they’ll get more luck than what teams are asking for right now — straight up trades. So, I think they’re going to address some of that bullpen help.
On general managers feeding rumors to the media:
Well, I don’t know so much if the general manager would be out there doing it. I would say in today’s game, it might be the agent who’s doing it. I think the agent has more contact with writers today than they’ve ever had, I think they are the ones who a lot of the times bring us some interest, and say, “Hey, this team is interested in signing this player,” when there’s absolutely no truth to it. But they’re trying to create a market and drive a market, and I think the one thing in Boston is the Red Sox and Yankees are always cognizant of what the other is doing. It’s almost like the old Mad magazine “Spy vs. Spy.”
On whether the Yankees are more inclined to look for bullpen help:
I think they’ll try to get some bullpen help. I think they’re going to really try and deliver a knockout punch and try to get an Adam Dunn. I don’t know if it will happen. But I think if they can put that cycle back in their lineup it finishes up their lineup and absolutely it may deliver a knockout punch to the division.
On whether the Sox can stay in the pennant race:
I think they can. They remind me a lot of what the Phillies are doing. The Phillies are really starting to make a push, they’re starting to play their best baseball. I think it’s really incredible what the Red Sox have been able to do this year, to be able to hang in this race, to be that banged up and really hold the fort down while they’re starting to get these guys back. I think their best baseball is still in front of them, being able to pitch, being able to hit, being able to do it all together.
I think they’ll get something in the way of something small, but they’re not going to trade [Jose] Iglesias, they’re not going to trade [Casey] Kelly. They’re not going to bite on that bullet, but they’re going to get some guys in there that can help them, whether it’s a group of smaller guys. Even if it’s just changing scenery in the bullpen to give them a different look. He’ll do some different things but I think the big pieces are coming back. … They have to have a push, that’s the only way they’re going to get back into it, but I do think it’s in there.
|07.29.10 at 6:04 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Padres ‘kicked the tires’ regarding the availability of Red Sox infielder Jed Lowrie, but San Diego will not pursue him as a solution for their depleted infield. Lowrie has played in six games since returning from the disabled list with mono, hitting .250/.318/.400/.718 with 3 RBI in six games.
|07.29.10 at 5:28 pm ET|
Red Sox shortstop Jose Iglesias, who has been out since May 29 due to an occult fracture of his right index finger, has resumed taking batting practice and could return to games as soon as this weekend. The Sox have yet to decide whether he will return for Double-A Portland — with whom he was enjoying a very strong professional debut, hitting .306 with a .340 OBP, .408 slugging mark and .748 OPS in 40 games — or whether he will break back into games at a lower level.
The Sox initially plan to have Iglesias serve as a designated hitter, and then begin to work him back into playing shortstop, perhaps in about a week. The team is taking a more conservative route with his return to the field because the injury is irritated most by splitting his fingers to throw a baseball. Once the fracture was diagnosed, the Sox initially had hoped that the 20-year-old might be able to return to games in earlier July, but whenever the shortstop increased his level of activity, the injury would swell up and he had to be shut down.
While Iglesias will end up missing roughly two months, the Sox are hopeful that he will be able to make up his lost at-bats in winter leagues.
“It’s unfortunate the amount of time he’s missed,” said farm director Mike Hazen. “We’re going to work hard to make up those at-bats somewhere. He’s obviously had a good start to this point in the season. We’re hoping he gets a solid month to build on that. And then hopefully we can make up 100-150 at-bats in winter ball.”
|07.29.10 at 11:58 am ET|
* – The last time that a Red Sox player hit a grand slam on the road that put them ahead in the 7th inning or later was April 26, 2007, when Wily Mo Pena hit one at Baltimore with the Sox trailing 2-1 in the 8th inning off Chris Ray.
It was the 7th such granny in the majors this season.
* – Boston clubbed 4 home runs yesterday. It was the 8th time this season that they’ve hit 4+ HR in a game, the most such games by a Red Sox team in any FULL SEASON since 2003 when they had 11 such games. They lead the majors in 4+ HR games this year:
Want some perspective? The Royals have not had a 4 homer game in 2010 and their last one was 136 games ago. That’s the longest current streak in the majors, followed by… and I never would have guessed this… the Yankees (130) and Angels (117). Actually, the Royals have had only one such game since May, 2007. That’s when they began a 403 game stretch before they hit 4 bombs on August 27, 2009, after which they began their current 136 game streak.
The Angels had not allowed a 4+ HR game in 159 straight games prior to yesterday.
* – The Sox scored 7 runs on Wednesday and all of them came by way of the homer. It was just the 5th time this season that a team has had such a game (7+ runs, all by HR) and three of those have been by the Red Sox (the others were May 14 and April 24). Detroit and Arizona are the only others this season. It appears that the Red Sox never had such a game in 2008 or 2009.
* – Marco Scutaro reached base 5 times yesterday. It was the 7th time that a Red Sox player has done it this season and Scutaro became the 5th different Sox player, along with Victor Martinez, Dustin Pedroia, Mike Lowell, and Kevin Youkilis (3 times).
It was the first time that a Red Sox leadoff man had reached base 5+ times in a game since Julio Lugo did it in 2007. Prior to Lugo, Johnny Damon accomplished the feat 8 different times between 2002 and 2005. The Sox are 9-1 in those 10 games.
MLB teams are now 18-0 this season when their leadoff man reaches 5+ times. The Angels have now allowed 3 of those 18.
* – Boston is one of 10 major league teams to have gotten 6+ total bases in a game from the 9th spot in the batting order this season. The Red Sox have done it 3 times (Patterson, Nava, Hermida) as have the Blue Jays, tied for the most in the league.
Butch Hobson had 9 such games for the Red Sox between 1976 and 1980, the most by any Red Sox player.
* – Josh Beckett allowed fewer baserunners than he had innings pitched yesterday (i.e. a WHIP under 1.00) for just the 2nd time in 2010. He had 9 such starts last season and 7 each in 2007 and 2008.
Three Red Sox pitchers combined for a WHIP under 1.00 yesterday for the 17th time this season and the Sox are 15-2 in those games. Dating back to mid-2008, the Red Sox are 49-5 when their game WHIP is less than 1.00.
* – The Red Sox received 8 walks from the Angels yesterday and have now gone just 5-5 in the last 10 games in which they’ve received 8+ free passes (dating to last August). Prior to that, they had gone 38-1 in such games.
* – Angels pitchers threw a total of 214 pitches yesterday, the most in a nine-inning game against the Red Sox since last September 24, when the Royals needed 229 in a 10-3 Red Sox romp.
|07.29.10 at 6:47 am ET|
Playing baseball for the Harvard Crimson has allowed Max Perlman to understand and appreciate the rich complexities of Boston and its sports-crazed inhabitants.
Representing the Western Division for the second time in the Cape Cod League All-Star Game, the Longwood, Fla., product also understands what playing baseball in this area really means.
“This is awesome,” Perlman explained prior to the game Wednesday night. “This is my first time ever playing a game [at Fenway Park]. I’m real excited to throw off the mound.”
The 6-foot-7 righty suffered through an elbow injury that kept him out of the majority of his sophomore and junior campaigns at Harvard. Although he did make five appearances for the Crimson in 2010, posting a 1-2 record, he had a not-so-pretty 9.60 ERA that had him searching to regain his form.
“I mean, it was just a long rehab process,” he explained. “A lot of work in the gym, it was a long throwing program. Once your arm gets back and healthy, you really just have to get the feel of all your pitches, get the feel of the game back. Being out of it for close to a year, you lose a lot of the feel. So it really helps to just get out there and play.”
He has since made the injury a thing of the past, and is currently dominating some of the best young hitters from across the country. As he certainly knows from experience, the CCBL is a great stage to compete with the best of the best.
“One through nine, everyone [in the Cape Cod league] is such a good player,” he explained. “You have to get up and ready for every game, there’s no weak spots in any lineups. It’s just fun to play with good competition both against you and on the same team.”
So far this season he has made six starts for the Gatemen, going 3-1 with a dominating 1.65 ERA, which is good for sixth in the league. In addition, he is in the top five in strikeouts and innings pitched.
|07.29.10 at 5:42 am ET|
In Wednesday’s Cape Cod Baseball League All-Star Game, the East Division All-Stars certainly could have used the pitching prowess of Anthony Ranaudo in some capacity as they fell to the West 5-0 at Fenway Park.
Alas, Ranaudo, the Red Sox draftee who decided to leave the Brewster Whitecaps of the East Division on July 19 after pitching 29 2/3 innings over five starts without allowing an earned run, was nowhere to be found on the mound, field or dugout, leaving just his absence to be the two-ton elephant in the stadium of the team that had drafted him 39th overall in June’s MLB Draft.
Ranaudo’s absence in any manner from the Cape League came as a slight surprise given his comments earlier in the season concerning his stay with Brewster.
‘I’m here to play for the rest of the summer,’ Ranaudo said on July 2. ‘I’m here to develop. I’m here to get better and move on from there.’
Ranaudo’s manager in Brewster, Tom Myers, however said that he and the rest of his team knew they would eventually lose their ace, especially after his hot start.
‘We knew it was only a matter of time before he would go. He’s at a crossroads between going back to LSU or signing a professional contract. It’s something he wanted to spend some time at home with his family to discuss and really think it through,’ said Myers, who added that Ranaudo told him he was ‘disappointed’ to be leaving the Cape so early. Read the rest of this entry »
|07.29.10 at 12:10 am ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. ‘ According to multiple sources, the Red Sox‘ primary focus heading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline remains finding help in the bullpen, although they are continuing to see how the catching and outfielder markets develop. The sources indicate that the likelihood is that if a deal is to be made it will most likely be completed either Friday or Saturday.
One team source characterized a potential deal for bullpen help as “risky business,” in which the top available arms command a high price. Leery of overpaying for a volatile commodity, the Sox are also trying to identify candidates who have, perhaps, underperformed but who possess the stuff and/or track record to think that they could improve with a change of scenery. That said, there is also a feeling across baseball that the demands for higher end relievers could drop as the deadline nears.
Sox CEO Larry Lucchino told WEEI.com following the Red Sox’ 7-3 victory over the Angels Wednesday that the Red Sox were approaching the deadline ‘aggressively.’
‘I think there’s an obligation we have in ownership and the front office to look aggressively to see if there’s a way we can make the team better as long as we have a chance in July,’ said Lucchino. ‘And I think we absolutely have a chance.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)