Full Count Hub International
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Joe Maddon on Carl Crawford ‘Boston fans will fall in love with him immediately’

12.07.10 at 4:20 pm ET
By   |   Comments

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Following his scheduled meeting with the media, Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said, that in his opinion, free agent Carl Crawford would have no issues in acclimating himself to a market like Boston.

“No problem,” said Maddon of the 29-year-old Texan. “First of all, they’re going to love him. He’s going to be embraced. There’s going to be a love-fest. He’s going to make all types of play, and do all kind of stuff where the Boston fans will fall in love with him immediately, so I don’t think there will be any type of negative pressure coming his way to perform.”

Asked about Crawford’s perceived mild-mannered personality, Maddon said, “He’ll stay to himself, although Carl has come out of his shell a little bit the last couple of years. Going to the playoffs, World Series, being an All-Star MVP, all that kind of stuff, I think he’s kind of blossomed in that regard. He might surprise you … He’s going to feed off the energy.”

WEEI.com’s Alex Speier reported earlier Tuesday that the Red Sox still have interest in signing Crawford, currently the biggest name on the free-agent market.

Read More: Hot Stove,

Terry Francona’s Red Sox updates: Lowrie, Varitek, Ellsbury, Papelbon, others

12.07.10 at 4:00 pm ET
By   |   Comments

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Speaking to reporters at the winter meetings at the Dolphin Resort Hotel, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that catcher Jason Varitek will find his way into the Red Sox lineup a good deal, with the Sox taking advantage of the catcher’s ability to hit left-handed pitching.

“Oh, I’m sure some of it will depend on health and production,” said Francona when asked if Varitek would share time with Jarrod Saltalamacchia. ” I think Tek’s done a enough job where if you take away that broken bone last year, and Tek is having a heck of a year. He kind of a bounced back (saying), ‘Hey, I can do this and keep playing.’ So Tek’s going to play more than probably the average back up catcher, if that’s what you’re asking, sure.”

Francona also touched on a variety of other Red Sox topics:

- The Red Sox currently view Jed Lowrie as someone who can help in a variety of ways, thanks to the fact he hits from both sides of the plate and plays four infield positions. “I think looking at it right now he’d be a super-utility guy with the ability to play third, short, second and first and switch-hit,” Francona said. “That’s a pretty valuable commodity. Saves you a player because he can play first. He’s a switch-hitter, so that would be you a really nice piece on our team. That may not be his ultimate goal, and I respect that. But as far as our team goes, that would be a really nice fit.”

- Jacoby Ellsbury’s health (broken ribs) is progressing, but Francona pointed out the outfielder still has a ways to go before being 100 percent. “Jake’s doing pretty well. The last time we had a couple weeks ago, he still was feeling it in the back a little bit, which I think they thought was pretty normal. I think we’re all going to take a deep breath when we see him out there running and not feeling it, but we’re certainly far enough away from spring training where that shouldn’t be an issue. I think also when you’re talking about it being December, going out to test it probably doesn’t make a lot of sense. But I know he’s been at API and doing his stuff there for a while.”

- Francona said that he isn’t planning on platooning J.D. Drew despite the outfielder’s struggles against left-handers (.208 in 2010), preferring instead to perhaps dropping down Drew in the order against certain lefties. “I think what we’d rather do is have J.D. have a little more success against left-handers. Maybe drop him down the lineup as opposed to not playing him. I think that’s probably a better way to do it. There are certainly certain left-handers that you’re doing him a favor by giving him the day off. But I don’t think you want to have a platoon out there. That seems like a little bit much.”

- The Red Sox’ manager spoke to the notion that David Ortiz might be hit for against left-handers more this season, and the communication that has gone on regarding the subject. “I actually spoke to David a little bit about that. The idea is not to sit him against lefties. I think the idea is to get David to understand if we do want to sit him against a lefty, it’s not that we don’t believe he can play. You know, I think that was more the last April was miserable. You can talk, you can spin it any way you want to, it was miserable. It was hard on David, it was hard on me, it was hard on our team, it was hard on everybody. I think there are times when, like J.D., you give him a break against a tough lefty, and you’re doing him a favor. Some of it depends on how he swings the bat.  If he swings the bat like he can swing it, you don’t want to sit him. I also believe for him to swing the bat like he needs to, he has to face some lefties. I think that’s important. But I think you’ve got to be able to get to a place where whatever is best for the team, you end up doing, and that’s what we always try to do, but you also want players to understand.”

- When asked if he had reached out to Jonathan Papelbon regarding the fact the Red Sox made an effort to sign closer Mariano Rivera, Francona said jokingly, “No, I will. I’d reach out to Pap from time to time, but he may not even know.”

For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.

Read More: Hot Stove,

Hot Stove roundup, 3 p.m.: Mets sued for Bernie Madoff money

12.07.10 at 3:03 pm ET
By   |   Comments

The Mets are being sued by a trustee seeking to recover money for victims of the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme. The sides are said to be discussing a settlement. The Wilpon family, owners of the Mets, reportedly are being sued as well.

Quick hits:

‘™¦ The White SoxPaul Konerko deal is not expected to be wrapped up today. Earlier Tuesday, Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times tweeted that “Konerko’s camp is adamant about $15M per.” Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com tweeted that the White Sox aren’t the only team to make a multi-year offer to the first baseman.

‘™¦ Despite his disappointing 2010 season, infielder Jorge Cantu is drawing interest from the Padres, Mariners and Diamondbacks, according to a tweet from Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown. Cantu, who turns 29 in January, hit .256/.304/.392 for the Marlins and Rangers this past season.

‘™¦ The Braves appear set on moving right-handed pitcher Kenshin Kawakami, and the Orioles reportedly have had several discussions with the Braves about him.

Read More: brian cashman, Cliff Lee, Hot Stove, Paul Konerko

A look at the Red Sox’ interest in outfielders

12.07.10 at 2:54 pm ET
By   |   Comments

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Red Sox GM Theo Epstein made clear that his club could proceed in a number of directions in addressing its outfield.

–The team could stand pat, using the same corps of J.D. Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Cameron and Ryan Kalish that it already has under contract.

–The team could pursue a “complementary move” for a player that would permit them to send Kalish back to the minors.

–Though Epstein did not articulate the possibility, the Sox could also still make a splash and pursue Carl Crawford, far and away the best outfielder on the market.

So, realistically, where do things stand? Based on conversations with a handful of industry sources, here is a look at some of the options that exist.

THE CARL CRAWFORD SWEEPSTAKES

There has been some suggestion that the seven-year, $126 million deal that Jayson Werth signed with the Nationals could take the Sox out of the market for Crawford. And if both Crawford and the industry ends up using Werth’s deal as a baseline to affix a value to Crawford, perhaps resulting in something along the lines of an eight-year, $160 million deal, then it seems likely that the Sox would pass on the dynamic left fielder.

But, according to multiple sources, it is premature to say there is no chance that the Sox sign Crawford. They have no doubt determined what they consider a fair value for the outfielder. If he is open to taking a deal on those terms, they could land him. But, as the Sox have demonstrated already this offseason with Victor Martinez, they are willing to affix a value to a player’s services — even one who they really like — and walk away if he wants (and gets) more from elsewhere. Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: carl crawford, carlos beltran, Hot Stove, josh willingham

Hot Stove roundup, 2 p.m.: Brian Cashman frustrated by lack of progress with Cliff Lee

12.07.10 at 2:44 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Brian Cashman‘s No. 1 priority is to sign free agent pitcher Cliff Lee, and according to Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees general manager is upset he hasn’t already done so.

Rosenthal writes that the Yankees are taking the stance of, “When Lee is ready to make a deal, we’re here.” The team has not made an offer to Lee yet and according to Rosenthal, Cashman has “privately expressed his frustration to others at the winter meeting about the team’s inability to move the negotiations along.”

The lack of progress in the negotiations may be a result of Lee’s camp wanting the bidding between other teams to go up, writes Rosenthal. The report also states that Lee will receive a seven-year offer.

Quick hits:

‘™¦ Buster Olney of ESPN tweets that when the Yankees do make their offer to Lee, it will be for six years.

‘™¦ The Rockies and Indians are both interested in free agent infielder Adam Everett, according to a tweet from ESPN’s Jayson Stark. The teams view Everett as a backup shortstop/utility man. Everett played in just 31 games last season, hitting .185/.221/.247 with four RBI prior to being released in June. He has been a free agent since.

‘™¦ According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays and Orioles are discussing a trade that would send shortstop Jason Bartlett to Baltimore. The Orioles would have to give up more than Nolan Reimold.

‘™¦ According to SI’s Jon Heyman, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter wasn’t thrilled with how he was portrayed when he was a free agent. Heyman tweets that Jeter “didn’t like to be seen as greedy or egotistical.”

‘™¦ The Pirates inquired about Orlando Cabrera, but they are not interested in signing the free agent shortstop, tweets Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.


Hot Stove roundup, 1 p.m.: LA judge rules in favor of Jamie McCourt in Dodgers ownership dispute

12.07.10 at 1:29 pm ET
By   |   Comments

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge on Tuesday ruled in favor of Jamie McCourt, denying Frank McCourt sole ownership of the Dodgers in their divorce case. Judge Scott Gordon granted Jamie McCourt’s plea to throw out a 2004 marital agreement that would have left her without an ownership share in the team.

Frank McCourt already has indicated he plans to pursue a different approach in his attempt to be recognized as the team’s sole majority owner.

Quick hits:

‘™¦ Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman tweets that Cliff Lee does indeed have an offer of seven years, but it’s not from the Nationals, who were rumored to be preparing to make a run at the left-hander.

‘™¦ ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that former Red Sox reliever Hideki Okajima does not have a deal in place to return to Japan, despite rumors. Crasnick indicated Okajima is considering offers from major league and Japanese teams but is “not close to a deal with anyone.”

‘™¦ After daring Derek Jeter to test the free agent market, the Yankees announced on Tuesday that they have finalized a three-year, $51 million contract with the shortstop. Jeter and the club reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on the deal, which includes an $8 million player option for 2014. The Yankees have scheduled a news conference for 2:30 p.m. at their spring training complex. The 36-year-old Jeter was coming off a $189 million, 10-year contract and was initially offered a $45 million, three-year deal by the Yankees. Jeter had a .270 batting average with 10 homers this past season, down from a .334 average and 18 homers in 2009. While his RBIs increased by one to 67, his on-base percentage fell from .406 to .340.

‘™¦ Rangers manager Ron Washington says he wants Josh Hamilton in left field next season to save wear and tear on the AL MVP. Hamilton made 107 starts in center field in 2008,  dropping to 55 starts in 2009, and then to only 29 this past season. Hamilton missed most of the final month for the AL champions after breaking two ribs when he ran into an outfield wall. However, he did start in center throughout the playoffs and World Series. Washington said Monday that Julio Borbon would likely take over the spot in 2011. Hamilton hit .359 with 32 home runs and 100 RBIs.

‘™¦ Sources have told ESPN’s Buster Olney that the Dodgers have agreed on a one-year, $2 million contract with right-hander Vicente Padilla, pending a physical examination. Padilla, who spent the past season and a half with the Dodgers before becoming a free agent this fall, will presumably pitch primarily out of the bullpen, as the Dodgers already have five established starters, or he could be a swing man who could step into the rotation if another starter is injured. Sources also said that Padilla could be a candidate to fill the closer’s role if Jonathan Broxton continues to struggle. In 16 starts for the Dodgers last season, Padilla was 6-5 with a 4.07 ERA and missed significant time with two different injuries. The new contract could also include performance bonuses that would increase the value.

‘™¦ Last week in the Houston Chronicle, Zachary Levine said that the Astros and left-hander Wandy Rodriguez were discussing a multi-year contract. There is now word that general manager Ed Wade has heard offers for some of the arbitration-eligible players on his club, specifically Rodriguez, Michael Bourn and Hunter Pence. Rodriguez has one year left before free agency and is expected to garner a raise from the $5 million he made last season. He went 11-12 with a 3.6 ERA in 2010. Levine writes this week that it is more likely the Astros would deal Matt Lindstrom and Jeff Keppinger, who are also arbitration eligible.

‘™¦ The Mets are close to signing backup catcher Ronny Paulino, a source close to the situation told ESPN’s Jorge Arangure Jr. Tuesday. Last season Paulino hit .259 with four home runs and 37 RBIs for the Marlins before being suspended 50 games by MLB after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. He served 42 games of the suspension last season and will miss the first eight games of 2011. The Marlins non-tendered the 29-year-0ld after signing free agent John Buck. If completed, Paulino’s signing would mark the first free agent major league signing by Sandy Alderson, the Mets’ new general manager. Alderson told reporters that he didn’t expect the Mets to be big players during this week’s winter meetings, but according to the source, they are still looking at several low-cost relief options to shore up their bullpen.

‘™¦ The Mets also are mulling their options regarding center fielder Carlos Beltran, who is entering the final year of an $18.5 million contract. Jon Harper of the New York Daily News says it makes sense for Alderson to place a call to A’s general manager Billy Beane, who needs an impact hitter to be a legitimate contender again in the AL West since losing out on Lance Berkman and Adam Dunn.

‘™¦ Also on the A’s radar is Hideki Matsui. Susan Slusser of the San Fransisco Chronicle reports Tuesday that Beane met with Matsui’s agent, Arn Tellum, on Monday. Unlike other A’s targets this winter, Matsui is believed to have a strong interest in signing with Oakland. The Mariners, Rangers and Twins are other teams that could also be interested in adding Matsui.

Read More: Derek Jeter, Frank McCourt, Hideki Matsui, Hideki Okajima

Matt Diaz’ agent: ‘Could happen today’

12.07.10 at 12:26 pm ET
By   |   Comments

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Larry Reynolds, the agent for free agent outfielder Matt Diaz, wouldn’t confirm if the Red Sox were one of the suitors for the righty hitting outfielder, but did say “there are a lot of teams interested,” and that he thought a deal would be done in the “next couple of days, even today.” The 32-year-old would seem to be a good fit for the Red Sox, who, according to general manager Theo Epstein, a complementary-type right-handed hitter. Diaz who was non-tendered by the Braves, is a .335 career hitter against lefties.

The left fielder had a solid season in 2009 for the Braves, hitting .313 with 13 homers and a .878 OPS. Diaz suffered a right thumb injury which hindered in ’10 season, playing in 84 games and hitting .250 with seven homers. He spent time on the disabled list in May.

Read More: Hot Stove,
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Ace Ticket
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify