|12.16.10 at 3:02 pm ET|
According to multiple reports, the Red Sox have agreed to terms with free agent right-handed relief pitcher Bobby Jenks. The 29-year-old was non-tendered by the White Sox following the season and became a free agent. As a result, the Red Sox will not lose any draft picks for signing Jenks. ESPN’s Buster Olney is reporting Jenks’ deal with the Red Sox is for two years and $12 million and that it is pending a physical. Jon Heyman of SI.com was the first to report the agreement.
A two-time All-Star closer, Jenks has had at least 40 saves twice in his six-year career. He had 27 last season for the White Sox, while striking out 61 batters in 52 2/3 innings. He posted a 4.44 earned run average and a 1.36 WHIP. He dealt with forearm and back pain in his final season in Chicago.
Olney’s source notes that Jenks will be a set-up man for the Sox next season and that he has been told he will be a candidate to take over as closer in 2012 “after Jonathan Papelbon is replaced.” The Sox also have Daniel Bard as an option.
For more on the Red Sox, visit their team page at weei.com/redsox.
|12.16.10 at 1:07 pm ET|
Red Sox Chairman Tom Werner joined the Dennis & Callahan show on Thursday morning to talk about the busy offseason and the new faces in Boston, as well as the Home Base Program, a partnership the organization and Mass. General Hospital are heavily involved in that helps improve the lives of veterans who deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. The program helps veterans live with combat-related stress and/or traumatic brain injury.
‘We came back from one of our trips to Walter Reed, and it’s just when you see these heroes coming back from the war, and you find out the amount of military men and women who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder or traumatic brain injury, it’s just, it’s something that we felt in Boston, if we could team up with Mass. General to create a new clinic with a way to service families and do some cutting-edge research, that we could actually do our part.’
To hear the entire interview with Werner, visit the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
You and the rest of the Red Sox organization are getting heavily involved in the Home Base Program. Of all the charities to come knocking at your door, why choose this one?
Well we actually, we did the knocking in this case, as you guys probably know. We came back from one of our trips to Walter Reed, and it’s just when you see these heroes coming back from the war, and you find out the amount of military men and women who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder or traumatic brain injury, it’s just, it’s something that we felt in Boston, if we could team up with Mass. General to create a new clinic with a way to service families and do some cutting-edge research, that we could actually do our part.
I’ll just quote what Tim Wakefield and Dustin Pedroia said to me about it, which is, ‘They served us, it’s now our turn to serve them.’ And when you talk to Bob and Eric, I’m very close to Eric, I mean these men are heroes, and we have to do our part. They really performed valiantly for us, and it’s our job, when they come back, if they’ve got injuries, we’ve got to take care of them. So I think you guys know about the run. I think Gerry, you’re going to participate this year, right?
Yeah, I feel better now, because I think I can beat Bob, it’s just my guess.
Last year there were over 2,000 runners who ran it, and I came in 2,004. I’m challenging you to at least beat me this year.
In this economic climate, underfunding is a term we hear a lot. But that’s what this race is about, helping with some of the funding.
Well we raised $2.5 million for this program last year, and that was in our first year. I think more than 2,000 people ran. It was a great experience; you start at Fenway Park, you run around Boston and you touch home plate at the end. There were 10,000-15,000 people on to cheer them. We had a special part for the military: Gen. Casey shook hands with all the people when they crossed the finish line. So it was a great day, so people had fun, and more importantly I think they helped what I think is an important cause. ‘¦ And before we end, I just want to tip my hat to Eric and Bob for coming on today.
|12.16.10 at 8:36 am ET|
Appearing on The Big Show Wednesday afternoon, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia explained how an airport mix-up allowed him to sprint on his surgically-repaired left foot for the first time since the operation.
Traveling back from vacation with his family, along with the family of Dodgers’ outfielder Andre Ethier, Pedroia was having a difficult time getting his entire group through customs, making it difficult to make its flight on time.
“They wanted me, who just got cleared to jog, to sprint to the gate, which is on the other side of the airport, to hold the plane up,” Pedroia said. “So I’m sprinting, testing out my foot with my shoelaces untied, holding my 30-pound son — by the way, my foot felt phenomenal — sprinting through the airport, and I get to the gate, and I’m like, ‘Ma’am, did the flight leave?’ She said, ‘I’m going to give you three minutes.’ I’m like, ‘There’s no way.’ Andre’s kid is a little bigger than [Pedroia's son] Dylan and he’s running everywhere. Two seconds later, the pilot comes off the plane and goes, ‘We’ve got a situation.’ I thought, ‘Jeez, now we’re definitely staying here.’
“She pulls off this couple. Some woman was beating the [expletive] out of her husband on the plane. They pull those two off. This guy has a bloody face. He must have smarted off or something. The flight was delayed 30 minutes, and we got to get on the flight. I almost high-fived everybody. It was awesome.”
“It was out of control. We ended up getting on. I was more pumped my foot felt good from sprinting with a 30-pound kid on me. We got on the flight. I was pumped. It was a good day.”
Asked how the foot felt after the unexpected exercise, Pedroia came away optimistic.
“I woke up and wanted to go run more, but I’ve got to kind of take it easy,” he said. “But it was fun.”
Pedroia also talked about where he might hit in the lineup now the Red Sox have added first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford.
“I actually texted Tito [Francona],” he said. “I said, ‘Tito, I’ve been with the Red Sox four years now, and this might be the first time you have to manage. You might have to think about the lineup you’re going to throw out there.’
“I don’t think it matters. I texted Carl a little bit. I don’t care where I hit. He doesn’t care. Neither does Ells. We want to win. The more good players we have, the better off our team is going to be.”
|12.15.10 at 9:21 pm ET|
According to Peter Gammons of NESN and the MLB Network (via twitter), the White Sox have signed right-handed reliever Jesse Crain to a three-year deal. Crain was regarded by some as having the best stuff of any available right-hander on the market.
Crain had 8.2 strikeouts per nine innings in 2010, and 7.7 punchouts per nine over the last three years. But while he has electric stuff — a mid-90s fastball and a wipeout slider — his year-to-year results have been wildly inconsistent over the last five years. Here they are, from 2006-10: 3.52, 5.51, 3.59, 4.70, 3.04.
One talent evaluator noted that his results have not consistently matched his stuff, while another raved about what the 29-year-old is capable of.
“On a championship team, he’d be a great right-hand setup guy who could come in and crush you,” he said. “Someone like Crain, someone will give him three years.”
Once again, that is a length that the Sox typically do not go to for a reliever, having done so only once (for Keith Foulke) under GM Theo Epstein.
The White Sox, however, were willing to go to such lengths. Crain’s decision to stay in the AL Central could be to his benefit since, while he was dominant against most of the 17 clubs he faced last year, he had an 11.70 ERA in 10 innings against AL East opponents.
|12.15.10 at 8:30 pm ET|
The Red Sox are bringing back a familiar face.
The team has agreed to terms with left-handed pitcher Lenny DiNardo on a minor-league, split contract. DiNardo confirmed the agreement by phone from Fort Myers, where he is working out. He has taken the team’s physical, with results of an MRI being the only thing remaining to finalize the deal. DiNardo said that he will be ready as either a starting depth option or as a reliever.
DiNardo, 31, spent three years with the Sox from 2004-06 after being selected from the Mets in the Rule 5 draft. He went 1-3 with a 5.53 ERA in 43 games as both a starter and reliever for Boston. He was selected off waivers by the Oakland A’s following the 2006 season, and DiNardo ended up turning in the best year of his career in 2007 under then-Oakland (and now Sox) pitching coach Curt Young. He went 8-10 with a 4.11 ERA in 35 appearances (20 starts) that year.
“[Young] really helped me focus on using my changeup more. And I attribute that whole year to that pitch basically,” said DiNardo. “Up to that point I was mainly just a fastball, cutter guy and I’d throw more curveballs and changeups and in 2007 what turned me around was that I would throw a changeup in any count. If I threw 100 pitches previous to 2007 I’d throw less than 10 changeups and in a few of the games in 2007 if I were to throw 100 pitches it was boosted up to 35 changeups.
“That’s Curt Young. He’s a left handed pitcher who had similar stuff to me and we kind of felt eye-to-eye on a lot of things. He really helped me out.”
However, he struggled to an 8.73 ERA in the majors in 2008 (with the A’s) and 2009 (with the Royals), and ended up spending much of those seasons as well as all of 2010 (back with the A’s) in the minors. He underwent surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow in the middle of the 2010 season, but was back on the mound by Sept., and now feels fully healthy.
Now, pending the results of his MRI, DiNardo is back with a familiar team and pitching coach in the Sox and Young.
|12.15.10 at 4:59 pm ET|
The Red Sox have been engaged in ongoing discussions with right-hander Dan Wheeler about the possibility of coming to Boston, according to sources familiar with the talks. While no deal is done at this time, one source proclaimed optimism about the direction of negotiations.
The 33-year-old free agent, who was drafted out of Pilgrim High School in Warwick (R.I.), has been with the Tampa Bay Rays since the middle of the 2007 season, when he was acquired from the Astros in a trade for Ty Wigginton. Wheeler had a 3.35 ERA in 48 1/3 innings in 2010, and he struck out 8.6 batters per nine innings. However, his innings total was the lowest of his professional career, and he has seen his workload go down in each of the last three years. Over his last three full seasons with the Rays, he has a 3.24 ERA while striking out 7.5 batters per nine innings, while walking 2.5 batters per nine.
Wheeler has appeared in 21 postseason games for the Rays and Astros, forging a 3.38 ERA while striking out 28 and walking eight in 26 2/3 innings. He was drafted in the 34th round by the Rays in 1996, and has since spent time with the Braves, Mets and Astros organizations before returning to Tampa Bay.
The Rays declined a $4 million option for his services for the 2011 season, instead opting to pay a $1 million buyout. The Rays also declined to offer the veteran salary arbitration. He earned $3.5 million last season in the final year of a three-year, $10.5 million deal he signed with the Rays prior to the 2008 season.
Rob Bradford contributed to this report.
|12.15.10 at 12:16 pm ET|
When watching Carl Crawford, one trait jumps out above all others: Speed.
At 29, he is already one of the most prolific base stealers in major league history. His 409 career steals rank 37th of all time. After years of seeing the outfielder torture Red Sox catchers, little explanation is necessary to explain how much Crawford’s presence on the bases can transform a game.
The same can be said of the outfielder’s defense. In 2010, Crawford was finally awarded a Gold Glove for his tremendous work in left field, thus becoming the first American League left fielder in nearly 30 years to receive the honor. According to fangraphs.com, he has been ‘ far and away ‘ the best defensive player in the game for the last three years as measured by UZR, having saved 52 runs compared to an average fielder at his position.
Speed is what has helped to make Crawford a star. Speed is the trait that made him a $20 million a year player for the Red Sox.
There is little doubt that the left fielder is growing as a hitter. He had career highs in homers (19) and OPS (.851) in 2010, but if you take away Crawford’s legs, he’s fighting players like Vladimir Guerrero and Hideki Matsui for a one-year deal in the $4 million to $5 million range.
But speed is a tool that starts to decline almost from the earliest days of a player’s major league career. And so it is fair to wonder: What will Crawford be over the life of his seven-year deal? How do players who are phenomenal base stealers at an early age perform as the odometer turns over from their 20s into their 30s?
That is the question the Sox confronted while trying to decide how far to go in their bidding. In addition to a thorough scouting analysis of Crawford, the team also asked analyst Bill James to study what could be expected of the outfielder before signing him to the biggest contract issued by this ownership regime. Read the rest of this entry »
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2014 Fall Instructional League rosters and schedule
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes