Full Count
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

No Gold Gloves for Red Sox

11.10.09 at 4:10 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO — No member of the Red Sox came away with an American League Gold Glove this season, marking just the second time in the last five years that the Sox have come up empty in that department. Jason Varitek won one in 2005, Kevin Youkilis in ’07, and Dustin Pedroia in ’08.

Detroit’s Placido Polanco prevented Pedroia from winning his second straight Rawlings Gold Glove, claiming the award for the second time in his career. First-time winners included Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, Baltimore center fielder Adam Jones, and White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle.

Two Yankees claimed Gold Gloves, shortstop Derek Jeter (his fourth) and first baseman Mark Teixeira. Other winners included the Angels’ Torii Hunter, Seattle’s Ichiro Suzuki, and Minnesota catcher Joe Mauer.

Read More: Hot Stove,

No change in instant replay for MLB

11.10.09 at 3:20 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO – Jimmie Lee Solomon, the Executive Vice President of Major League Baseball Operations, spoke to the media after meeting with the general managers. Discussed were …

Solomon said that instant replay was discussed, but it was decided that Major League Baseball would keep the current replay system. “We need to digest what we’ve got,” he said.

Solomon also cited Bud Selig’s careful approach to making major changes to the game, “The commissioner is hesitant to leap forward quickly and make modifications to our game,” Solomon said.

Also discussed was baseball’s World Cup; reworking the Arizona Fall League as get younger players in the league; potentially modifying first-year player draft to more accurately portray the teams’ previous season record or success.

The proposed change in the draft would include the postseason when making the draft order, instead of strictly going by the final regular season records.

More to come …

Read More: Hot Stove,

Putting the Lojack on Boras

11.10.09 at 1:18 pm ET
By   |   Comments

As Comcast’s Sean McAdam just pointed out, Scott Boras just finished his workout in the downstairs gym at the O’Hare International Airport Hilton and insisted that Jason Varitek has not made any decisions regarding whether or not he will be accepting the $3 million player option. Boras said he will be talking to his client later Tuesday night.

Boras has insinuated that he will be holding court somewhere in the hotel lobby around 5 p.m. CST. That would come soon after the conclusion of  the general managers availability which takes place from 3:30-4:30 p.m. CST.

UPDATE: A representative from the Scott Boras Corp. has reiterated to WEEI.com that a report stating Varitek has chosen to accept the $3 player option is “erroneous” and the catcher continues to mull his options. Boras’ scheduled get-together might be a bit later than anticipated due to meetings, but will most likely still take place sometime early Tuesday evening.

Checking in on Wakefield and Chapman

11.10.09 at 11:51 am ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO — Executives are in meetings all morning here at the O’Hare International Airport Hilton, leaving me in a desolate work room with just my computer and a free 10 oz Diet Pepsi that would have cost me $4 upstairs (no lie).

The schedule will allow for access to all the general managers starting at 4:30 p.m. EST, which will surely spawn a flurry of Tweets and the like starting about 5:30 p.m.

One thing I forgot to pass on Monday was that in my conversation with Tim Wakefield, he passed along what a difference the surgery on his back had meant. He said that the limp which he had been saddled with for the past few months was instantly gone once he could get out of his hospital bed.

“I feel great” Wakefield said. “I’m getting more strength in my calf and my hamstring. As a matter of fact, the doctor came in soon after surgery and I was doing laps around the nurses station with my wife with my IV without limping. It was that instantaneously.

“Dr. (Lawrence) Borges did a phenomenal job. He even said to me that he was surprised that I was pitching because the fragment they took out of my back was pretty big.”

I did run into one National League executive who was toying with the idea of watching Cuban free agent pitcher Aroldis Chapman in the Dominican Republic. (He is reportedly in Costa Rica right now. Ed. Note: Chapman’s representatives clarified that the pitcher is currently in the United States, and has no plans to pitch in the Dominican.) The executive reiterated that while the talent for Chapman was off the charts (95-102 mph fastball), there was some growing concern regarding his make-up, which is not the norm for pitchers coming over from Cuba.

If you remember, one of the selling points for Jose Contreras when the Yankees and Red Sox were going toe-to-toe for the pitcher’s services was that he had pitched in the most pressure-packed of environments under the watchful eye of Fidel Castro and the Cuban government.

The 21-year-old Chapman, who will make a boatload of money from somebody (although maybe not as much as he is asking for), is perceived as somewhat immature, a notion that wasn’t displaced after a drama-filled World Baseball Classic outing. Unlike Contreras, there are conflicting reports whether the lefty flamethrower is even ready to begin his career in the big leagues.

All the concerns aside, with his upside, and the dearth of free agent pitching, Chapman figures to be one of the offseason’s biggest prizes and elicit some more good lobby talk as the meetings march along.

Be back later once access picks up …

Read More: aroldis chapman, Hot Stove, jose contreras, Tim Wakefield

Details of Wakefield’s Contract

11.09.09 at 8:23 pm ET
By   |   Comments

The incentive structure of Tim Wakefield’s new two-year deal with the Red Sox is fairly intricate. While he will receive a guaranteed $5 million, the specific clauses could increase the value of the deal to approximately $5 million per season. Here are the details of the 2010-11 deal:

Base salary
is $3.5m in 2010 and $1.5m in 2011.

Bonuses in 2010: Wakefield receives $50,000 each for starts 11-15; $75,000 each for starts 16-25; and $100,000 each for starts 26-30. (Max potential earnings: $5 million.)

Escalator clause for base salary in 2011: Wakefield’s 2011 base salary can increase, based on the number of innings he throws in 2010. If he throws 130 innings this coming season, his 2011 base salary increases to $2 million; he throws 160 innings in 2010, he would earn a $3.5 million base.

Bonuses in 2011: Wakefield’s potential bonuses for 2011 will depend on the base salary:

If the base salary is $1.5 million (after fewer than 130 innings in 2010):  $100,000 each for starts 11-15; $200,000 each for starts 16-25, and $250,000 each for starts 26-30. (Max potential earnings: $5.25 million.)

If the base salary is $2 million (if he throws at least 130 innings but fewer than 160):  $75,000 each for starts 11-15; $150,000 each for starts 16-20; $200,000 each for starts 21-30. (Max potential earnings: $5.125 million.)

If the base salary is $3.5 million (provided Wakefield throws at least 160 innings in 2010), the bonuses are the same as in 2010: $50,000 each for starts 11-15; $75,000 each for starts 16-25; and $100,000 each for starts 26-30. (Max potential earnings: $5 million.)

Read More: bonuses, Contract, Hot Stove, incentives

Theo: Red Sox see Martinez as their everyday catcher

11.09.09 at 6:46 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO — Speaking to a group of reporters in his suite at the O’Hare International Airport Hilton, where this year’s general managers meetings are being held, Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said that his organization sees Victor Martinez as its “everyday catcher” for 2010.

The pronouncement came after the the team officially announced it wouldn’t be picking up the $5 million team option on Jason Varitek, who now has five days to decide if he will accept the $3 million player option.

“We’re going to really look for Victor to be an everyday catcher for us next year,” Epstein said. “We feel like that puts us in the best position to win with Victor catching as much as he can. The other spot we’ll have available is for more of a traditional backup. We’ll see what Tek’s decision is before we move forward.”

Epstein classified the Red Sox’ approach as a “waiting mode,” but is optimistic about Martinez’ ability to handle the workload catching on a regular basis.

“He really sees himself as a catcher,” Epstein said of Martinez. “We have to be smart about it. We can’t push him to the point where we get diminishing returns. But I think he can catch a little  bit more and he’ll prepare himself to do that.”

Epstein said the club hasn’t started talks with either Martinez — who had his option picked up by the Sox for the 2010 season — or pitcher Josh Beckett regarding contract extensions.

Read More: Hot Stove,

Agent: Green will have ‘viable options’

11.09.09 at 5:10 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO — Tom O’Connell, the agent for infielder Nick Green, said he thanked both Red Sox GM Theo Epstein and his special assistant, Allard Baird, for the opportunity the Sox gave Green this season, but believes the chances of the infielder re-signing with the Red Sox are probably slim.

Green, who underwent surgery on a slipped disc in his back Monday, filed for free agency earlier in the day after being outrighted by the Red Sox.

“Obviously Boston will no doubt be in discussions down the road, but I think if they truly felt that he was going to stay they would have let him go through the arbitration process,” O’Connell explained.

Despite the fact Green is coming off the injury which sidelined him for the second half of Sept., O’Connell is optimistic that the infielder has set himself up fairly well for the impending offseason.

“I’ve already received quite a few phone calls on Nick as far as next year. I think he’s going to have a lot of viable options,” Green said. “We’re not going to close the door on Boston, but at the same time Nick has shown he can hold down that shortstop position, which is the key position for any solid utility guy. You want to have that utility guy to be able to fill in when that starter goes down to hold that job for a month or two and he did that for three months.”

Read More: Hot Stove,

Wakefield talks about new deal

11.09.09 at 4:35 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO — Speaking from his Florida home, Tim Wakefield explained that while there was some initial concern regarding the Red Sox not picking up his option and proposing a two-year deal, he understands the value in it from both sides.

“I was surprised and a little disappointed at first because they told me they wanted to cut my guarantee, but in the long run they’re at least guaranteeing me another year,” he said. “That’s a huge positive because they know I want to break the records and retire as a Red Sox, so I’m very grateful for that.”

The two-year deal Wakefield has agreed upon will pay the 43-year-old a guaranteed $3.5 million in 2010 with the opportunity to have that jump up to $5 million if he makes 30 starts. The second year will guarantee him $1.5 million, a base that could increase to as much as $3.5 million depending on how many innings he throws in 2010, and that will also feature bonuses that could increase the value of the second year of the deal (regardless of the base) to approximately $5 million if the right-hander makes 30 starts.

Altering his previous arrangement — which presented the Red Sox with a $4 million team option following every season Wakefield played in — guarantees that the knuckleballer will be under contract for the next two seasons, setting the stage for him to go after both the record for most wins by a Red Sox pitcher (192) — which he is 17 shy of — and 200 overall wins. Wakefield currently stands at 189 wins for his career.

“I guess a little more relaxed,” said Wakefield of the construction of his new deal. “I didn’t mind going year to year because the reason why we set it up was to make it an easy decision to them, but also giving me an opportunity to get paid a fair amount. It wasn’t about going after more money. We wanted to do what was fair to the organization. Now, that deal was to avoid what has happened the last couple of days.

“I completely understand where the Red Sox are coming from based on the back surgery I had in the offseason and the fact I had some shoulder fatigue in ’08. But it all worked out. It worked out where I think they were happy to cut back on the guarantees, but I still have the opportunity to make almost as much as I did, if I stay healthy, than I did with the original options.”

Read More: Hot Stove, Tim Wakefield,

Source: Red Sox on Halladay’s list

11.09.09 at 2:39 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO — According to a source familiar with the situation, the Red Sox are one of the teams Toronto pitcher Roy Halladay has identified as a club he would accept a trade to. Halladay has a no-trade clause in his current deal, which will pay him $15.75 million in 2010.

Indications from another major league source suggest that the Blue Jays are currently intent on keeping Halladay, although the 32-year-old figures to continue to be a topic of trade talk throughout the offseason. The Red Sox were one of the teams to make an attempt at acquiring the Toronto ace at last season’s trade deadline.

Halladay finished ’09 at 17-10 with a 2.79 ERA, having led the league in complete games (9) for the third straight season.

Read More: Hot Stove,

Red Sox Decline $5 Million Option on Varitek

11.09.09 at 2:35 pm ET
By   |   Comments

CHICAGO — The Red Sox declined their one-year, $5 million option for the 2010 season on catcher Jason Varitek, according to a major-league source. Now, Varitek has five days to decide whether to exercise his one-year, $3 million player option (with up to $2 million in incentives) for next season.

Varitek hit .209 with a .313 OBP and .390 slugging mark, along with 14 homers and 51 RBIs, for the Red Sox in 2009. He played in 109 games, and was relegated to a part-timer with the Sox trade for Victor Martinez. Most notably, Varitek did not start any of the Sox’ three playoff games against the Angels.

Varitek signed his one-year, $5 million deal with both a team and a player option prior to last season. He has been with the Sox since 1997, and is the franchise’s all-time leader in games caught (1,439). The three-time All-Star is a career .259 hitter with a .344 OBP and .435 slugging mark, along with 175 homers.

Read More: Jason Varitek,
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify