|10.18.16 at 12:11 pm ET|
Appearing on WPRO-AM in Providence Tuesday morning, Schilling offered the most definitive commitment to date when it came to his political future.
“I’ve made my decision. I’m going to run,” Schilling said during the interview. “But – but – I haven’t talked to Shonda, my wife. And ultimately it’s going to come down to how her and I feel this would affect our marriage and our kids.”
Two recent polls showed Warren with a substantial lead over Schilling, with the WBZ/UMass survey conducted last month coming in at 47 percent for the incumbent, and 28 percent for the Republican challenger. A WBUR poll from a few weeks earlier had it at 54 to 29 percent, in favor of Warren.
Schilling said in the interview that he looked forward to a debate with Warren.
“I’m not worried – it doesn’t scare me,” he said. “Listen, I was a part of the team that came back to beat the Indians from being down three games to one – I’ve beaten the real ones before. So I’m not worried about that.”
Schilling will appear on the Kirk & Callahan Show Wednesday morning.
|10.17.16 at 9:30 pm ET|
When anybody sees a pitcher bleeding on the mound in a postseason game, it’s inevitable Curt Schilling will be referenced.
It was Schilling, after all, who experienced the most notable in-game injury of any pitcher in the playoffs, bleeding through his sock during the 2004 American League Championship Series against the Yankees.
So when Cleveland starter Trevor Bauer started bleeding profusely from his right hand due to an injury sustained while toying around with a drone, social media started bombarding Schilling.
— MLB Memes (@MLBMeme) October 18, 2016
But with Bauer having to been removed after just 2/3 innings, putting his team in a tough spot, the former Red Sox pitcher didn’t have any use for the two to be lumped together.
Please don't tweet at me about Bauer.He cost himself a start, likely more, AND his teammates, and fans, dicking around with a drone. #stupid
— Curt Schilling (@gehrig38) October 18, 2016
|10.17.16 at 12:07 pm ET|
With Mike Hazen departing to become general manager of the Diamondbacks, the natural followup is if he’ll take Torey Lovullo with him as manager.
Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, speaking on a conference call Monday, made it clear he won’t deny him the chance.
“I’ll be surprised, I would say, if they don’t ask for permission to talk to Torey,” Dombrowski said. “I know how highly we think of him and how highly Mike thinks of him. But I can’t speak for that. That would have to be something that Mike would answer. Of course, we would not stand in Torey’s way, as we discussed last week. In my opinion, he’s ready to be a Major League manager. Would he end up being their top selection? I can’t answer that. We would not stand in his way.”
Lovullo and Hazen share a history that dates back to their time together in the Indians organization more than a decade ago. The Red Sox bench coach is considered a hot managerial property this offseason, and joining Hazen in Arizona makes sense. The D’backs have an opening because they fired manager Chip Hale after a 69-win season.
As for the Red Sox GM search, Dombrowski said he’s going to start with internal candidates before potentially broadening the search. Whomever he hires will essentially be an assistant GM, since Dombrowski calls all the shots in baseball operations.
|10.16.16 at 6:13 pm ET|
It was announced Sunday afternoon by the Diamondbacks that Mike Hazen would be leaving his post as GM of the Red Sox to take become Arizona’s GM.
Early Sunday evening, Red Sox president of baseball operations released a statement regarding Hazen’s move:
“While this is certainly a significant loss for the Red Sox organization, we are extremely happy for Mike and his family as they begin this new opportunity in Arizona. As one of the most respected young baseball executives in the game, Mike is more than deserving of this position. On behalf of the club, we would like to thank Mike for his 11 years of service to the Red Sox and wish him well in his new role. He will be missed by all of his colleagues here at the Boston Red Sox.
In the meantime, a search for a new general manager for the Boston Red Sox is underway.”
Dombrowski is expected to hold a conference call Monday following Hazen’s introductory press conference in Arizona.
|10.16.16 at 4:28 pm ET|
This move seemed inevitable.
Before getting the general manager job with the Red Sox, Mike Hazen was a finalist for the same position with the Padres before it went to A.J. Preller. Now Hazen is getting his chance, having been hired as the new GM of the Arizona Diamondbacks after spending one season under president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski.
But the timing of the hire makes is significantly more impactful than if Hazen had left for the San Diego job.
The first thing to know is that it would be a significant surprise if Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo doesn’t get the manager’s opening in Arizona. Besides the fact that Lovullo is one of the most qualified candidates (having already interviewed for six managerial jobs since 2005), he is also very close to Hazen, with the two going back to their days in the Indians’ organization.
The other part of the equation that could signal a significant change in how the Red Sox decision-making process works is the possibility of Hazen taking members of the Red Sox’ front office with him to Arizona. With Dombrowski having held on to virtually all of Ben Cherington’s group, the vast majority of those in the offices have more of a connection to Hazen than the current president.
With all of that in mind, here are some names to keep an eye on in the coming days:
Gus Quattlebaum, Red Sox pro scouting director: Quattlebaum, an Andover native, moved from his position as assistant amateur scouting director to the current role after the departure of Jared Porter to the Cubs. He was promoted by Dombrowski, who leaned on the former Davidson College star quite a bit as the season unfolded. Quattlebaum would seem to be a logical candidate for either the Red Sox GM job, or as the Diamondbacks’ assistant general manager.
Frank Wren, Red Sox vice-president of baseball operations: The longtime Braves general manager is one of Dombrowski’s closest confidants, which was a chief reason he served as the only newcomer to top of the the Red Sox’ decision-making process. Wren spent the season living in the Atlanta area, and it is unclear if he would want to make such a transition to Boston.
Brian O’Halloran, Red Sox assistant GM: O’Halloran is one of the best in the business when it comes to contracts, negotiations and other elements of the procedural parts of running a front office. But it is unclear if he has any designs on expanding his role, and with roots firmly planted in the Boston area it might be a surprise if the longtime Red Sox executive (who started in the front office with the likes of Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and Cherington) decides to move across the country.
Amiel Sawdaye, vice-president with a focus on international and domestic scouting: The former amateur scouting director would seem to be a strong candidate to join Hazen, although the Red Sox significantly value Sawdaye’s contributions. (For more on Sawdaye, click here.)
Ruben Amaro, Red Sox first base coach: It’s a guess that Amaro would have significant interest in either the bench coach’s job, or the GM job. Having a year in the organization under his belt couldn’t hurt his chances.
Alex Cora, ESPN analyst: While this limits Cora’s chances at securing a managing job, with Colorado the last position open, the maneuvering involving the Red Sox might be good news former Red Sox infielder. John Farrell expressed previous interest in bringing Cora on his coaching staff, and there was some thought that if Lovullo got the Rangers job last year he would have tabbed Cora as his bench coach. This could mean the long-awaited coaching opportunity for Cora, either in Boston or Arizona.
Dana LeVangie, Red Sox bullpen/catching coach: The longtime Red Sox scout/coach was promoted to bench coach last season when Lovullo filled in for Farrell. Both the players and coaching staff spoke highly of how the Massachusetts native handled himself in the position.
Gary Tuck, former Red Sox bullpen/catching coach: Tuck most recently coached for the Yankees, serving as their bullpen coach through the 2015 season. The reason we’re surfacing the 62-year-old’s name is less about his history with the Red Sox then it is the fact Farrell tried hiring him to become his bench coach with Toronto. (As a quick aside, if Lovullo left after the 2013 season, current Rays manager would have most likely become the Sox’ bench coach.)
Jason Varitek, Red Sox special assistant to the general manager: Obviously Varitek is valued in the organization, having done a little of everything over the past few years. This season Varitek could be seen in uniform, and in the Sox’ dugout, on various occasions. He interviewed for the Mariners managing job last season, so perhaps the possible bench coaching opening is the right place and right time for the former catcher.
Kevin Boles, Pawtucket Red Sox manager: Boles has history with the majority of the young Red Sox foundation, having managed in both Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket as the likes of Xander Bogaerts, Mookie Betts, Blake Swihart, Travis Shaw, Jackie Bradley Jr., Eduardo Rodriguez and more shot through the system.
|10.16.16 at 2:33 pm ET|
Red Sox general manager Mike Hazen has left the club to become general manager and executive vice president of the Diamondbacks, the D’backs announced.
— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) October 16, 2016
Hazen, 40, is an Abington native and Princeton grad who joined the Red Sox in 2006. He effectively served as an assistant GM under president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, so the move to Arizona puts him in charge for the first time.
“I’m extremely grateful for this incredible opportunity to help the D-backs reach the next level,” Hazen said in a statement released by the team. “This is a franchise that has experienced a lot of success both on and off the field in less than two decades of existence, and I’m looking forward to working with Ken [Kendrick] and Derrick [Hall] to help bring back a tradition of winning to Arizona.”
Hazen’s move now opens the possibility that Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo could leave the club to become manager of the Diamondbacks.
|10.15.16 at 9:23 pm ET|
When you’re called the best by the pitcher many considered the best, you could say that’s the highest of praise.
Saturday night, after another dominating performance by Indians’ reliever Andrew Miller, Pedro Martinez took to Twitter to label the lefty’s current run through the best postseason as unlike anything the Hall of Famer has ever seen.
I have been in many postseasons and hadn't seen anybody dominate like Andrew Miller.
— Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez) October 15, 2016
— Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez) October 15, 2016
— Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez) October 15, 2016
Miller has struck out 17 of the batters he faced throughout the playoffs, allowing two walks and three hits over 7 2/3 innings. His latest outing was a two-inning stint in the Indians’ 2-1 Game 2 win over the Blue Jays in the American League Championship Series, in which the lefty struck out five without allowing a baserunner.
|10.15.16 at 6:44 pm ET|
The Surprise Saguaros have a number of Red Sox players on their roster in the Arizona Fall League and through four games, they have a few making headlines.
— On Saturday, Mauricio Dubon made his outfield debut starting in center field. Dubon, a shortstop (with some experience at second and third base) who finished this past year with Double-A Portland, likely is adding the position to increase his versatility as there doesn’t appear to be a place for him in the foreseeable future with the big league club in the infield with Dustin Pedroia, Xander Bogaerts, Yoan Moncada, Pablo Sandoval all in good positions moving forward in the coming years.
At the plate he went 2-for-4 with a home run. He is batting .286 in his first three games.
— Top pitching prospect Michael Kopech started the game on Saturday and went three no-hit innings, allowing just one base runner, which came on an error. The hard-throwing right-hander went three innings, allowing no hits, not walking a batter and striking out five. This is a very good sign considering his tough end to his 2016 campaign.
— While Moncada struggled at the major league level in September, he hasn’t let it impact his Arizona Fall League so far. The switch-hitter, who will play exclusively at third base, is 6-for-14 (.429) in his three games. He has struck out four times in 14 at-bats, while walking just once.
For more Red Sox news, visit weei.com/redsox.
|10.13.16 at 12:49 pm ET|
Just like last offseason and spring training, at least part of the Red Sox’ planning included working their way around which players had options and those who didn’t. Steven Wright, Tommy Layne and Junichi Tazawa helped define the final Opening Day roster conversation because they were out of options and couldn’t be sent to the minor leagues without being designated for assignment.
This year, there are a few more names who should be taken note of when trying to figure out who fits where. The following is a list of players who will be out of options heading into the 2017 season. (Not included are potential free agents or players with contract options.)
Fernando Abad: It remains to be seen if the Red Sox tender the reliever a contract considering he is due to make around $2 million in arbitration.
Bryce Brentz: The 27-year-old outfielder took a step forward in 2016, contributing to the major league club with a .286 batting average and .738 OPS in 45 plate appearances against lefties. He did, however, have less-than-spectacular numbers with Triple-A Pawtucket, hitting .242 with a .678 OPS and five homers. With Chris Young still on the roster as the designated weapon/extra outfielder vs. southpaws, there doesn’t appear room for Brentz.
Heath Hembree: This should be an interesting one. Hembree has certainly shown he is a major league reliever, if for no other reason his ability to get out right-handed hitters. The righty is the kind of player who might be able to use his no-more-options status to cement a spot on the Opening Day roster.
Bryan Holaday: Considering he is due to make around $1 million in arbitration, and the Red Sox seem set at the catcher position with Sandy Leon, Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart, the 28-year-old would seem to be on the outside looking in.
Sandy Leon and Christian Vazquez: This is not good news for those hoping Swihart gets another shot at the Opening Day catching spot.
Josh Rutledge: Another arbitration-eligible player who might not be tendered a contract.
Steven Wright: Unlike last spring training, conversations about the knuckleballer’s spot on this team probably won’t factor in his lack of options.
|10.13.16 at 12:15 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced Dustin Pedroia has undergone successful arthroscopy surgery on his left knee.
A partial medial meniscectomy and chondroplasty was performed by Head Team Orthopedist Dr. Peter Asnis at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Pedroia is expected to make a full recovery in time for Spring Training 2017.
The 33-year-old played in 154 regular season games, hitting .318, with 15 home runs and an .825 OPS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates