|12.05.16 at 8:00 pm ET|
And that bit of news was just part of the eyebrow-raising that Dave Dombrowski’s meeting with the media elicited Monday evening.
“There were not,” said the Red Sox president of baseball operations when asked if he was engaged with the pair of designated hitter candidates, at the MLB Winter Meetings. “We were aware of everything taking place, but we weren’t engaged in a situation to do that, because I really, [assistant general manager] Brian O’Halloran’s handled a lot of the phone calls. He’s kept me abreast of what’s going on. But we really had made the point that before we got into where we were going to allocate our dollars. We wanted to do that for a setup guy and see where that takes us and then make a decision from there.”
But what about that replacement for David Ortiz?
As turns out, Dombrowski and Co. are all in on finding that lock-down eighth-inning guy, an not in any huge rush to bring in another bat.
The plan right now is to put the majority of the Red Sox’ efforts into finding that late-inning relief pitcher. As Red Sox manager John Farrell explained, “I think our main goal is to identify a guy so it’s not so much a matchup situation. Turn it over to one guy in the eighth inning, regardless if he’s facing left-handed or right-handed hitters.”
So, what it means is that the Red Sox will be waiting to see what kind of bat falls into their price range after allocating resources for the reliever. It could even get to the point where no hitter of significance is brought in to fill a role most everybody thought would be a chief priority for the team heading into the offseason.
“I can’t say for sure, but, yeah, perhaps that would happen,” Dombrowski said. “I don’t think so. We’d bring somebody in, I think, but I can’t tell we’re 100 percent sure we’re going to do it because it’s going to be dependent upon who we can find and the dollars they’re looking for at the particular time.”
— Dombrowski spoke to the issue regarding the new luxury tax threshold, and the Red Sox’ perceived desire to not go over for a third straight season.
The new limit stands at $195 million, which the Red Sox stand about $15 million shy of. But with a desire to have some flexibility for in-season acquisitions, that actual budget for offseason moves might be in the vicinity of $8 million.
The first time the Red Sox went over they were taxed 17.5 percent (ending up being just under $2 million), with last year’s penalty coming in at 30 percent. Going over this year would mean they would be taxed on 50 percent of the number they exceed the threshold by. If they do not go over, the penalties reset.
“No, no. No. I don’t want to use the word ‘mandated,’ because that’s wrong” said the president when asked if ownership has instructed him not to go over the limit. “But I have an awareness of the penalties. I mean, I got the memorandum of understanding and the summary on Saturday night. Here they are if anybody has five minutes that you want to spend reading. It’s 133 pages of memorandum of understanding that is very difficult. I have read through it. I have skimmed through it, though, I don’t know that with a fine-tooth comb. I did make notes on it that I thought were very important so I understand going into the meetings where we stand. Obviously the basic agreement still has to be ratified. That doesn’t take place until December 15. But I think there’s an awareness that I wanted to have, and I think when you look at it. But I can’t tell you that last year that we went into the winter meetings I would’ve preferred to be below the CBT, too, but we just went above it because we thought that was the best way to win a championship at the time.”
— Dombrowski said the Red Sox aren’t locked into acquiring just a lefty hitter, or even a player who solely plays the infield.
That conversation led to one of the continued focal point for the Red Sox’ offseason: Getting production out of Pablo Sandoval.
“I think we’ll always strive to have a balance,” Farrell said. “I think the one thing that we ran into this past year was the three right-handers at the top of the order. We also produced the most runs in baseball. I think if you look at the way we stacked the lineup when we got into the postseason, it was a little bit of a mix moving Bogey to the six hole and sliding David up to the three hole. I think for us, one of the things, as I look at the lineup for next year, one of the keys for us is going to be Panda. That’s not to put it all on him, but here’s a left-handed bat who is a proven guy and has every opportunity to make a major impact on our team this year.”
— Dombrowski revealed the list of Red Sox players on the preliminary rosters for the World Baseball Classic.
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Hanley Ramirez.
USA: Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr., David Price, Rick Porcello (who has already said he will not participate)
NETHERLANDS: Xander Bogaerts
VENEZUELA: Eduardo Rodriguez, Sandy Leon
ITALY: Andrew Benintendi
— While Dombrowski wouldn’t comment on the Red Sox’ level of interest in Japanese star Shohei Otani, a 22-year-old who excels at both pitching and hitting and is scheduled to be eligible to play in the major leagues after the 2017 season, the president did offer an interesting comparison.
“I can’t speak specifically for him because I haven’t seen him play enough myself,” he said. “We have reports on him. Do I think a player can be a two-way player? Yeah. It could happen. Is it very difficult? Yes, but i’m not saying there’s not a player out there that can’t do that because some of them are rare, rare guy – Babe Ruth could do it. He was pretty good. It can be done.”
|12.05.16 at 5:42 pm ET|
NATIONAL HARBOR, MD — Speaking to the Boston media at the MLB Winter Meetings, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski announced the team was picking up the 2018 contract option for manager John Farrell.
Prior to the move, Farrell’s last guaranteed year was the 2017 campaign.
“John has done a real fine job for us,” Dombrowski said. “He had a good year last year. I thought did a good job in handling the club. We were in a position where we had a good working relationship and had the respect of our players. Our players played hard for him. So we’re very happy to have done that. It puts stability with our staff going into spring training.
“Why wait until now? Just so many things happened at the end of the year. There was no rush. It didn’t have to be exercised until 10 days after the 2017 season. But as soon as the season ends you sort of split, when you get beat in the playoffs. Mike Hazen left us at that point. We had some front office things to do. We were in different positions ourselves. So we really just wanted to sit down and have a face to face talk before we did something like that, which we had a chance to do [Sunday]. We had a really nice conversation, just like always. John has a solid presence to himself, leadership capabilities, yet I also find him very open-minded when we have conversations.”
|12.05.16 at 3:02 pm ET|
The Red Sox continue to be on the outskirts of negotiations for the services of Encarnacion, still seeking to acquire a replacement for David Ortiz via a short-term deal. The Sox’ motivation for the approach is seemingly driven by a desire not to eclipse the luxury tax threshold.
But if the Red Sox’ strategy does change, it would seem there would be a very clear path.
According to a source close to Encarnacion, the 33-year-old designated the Red Sox as one of the three teams he identified heading into free agency as a preferred landing spot. Another was Toronto, who have already signed Kendrys Morales and Steve Pearce. The third club was not known, although it wasn’t the Yankees.
With Matt Holliday and Carlos Beltran each agreeing to one-year deals, with the Yankees and Astros, respectively, some of the free agents still being attached to the Red Sox for short-term solutions are Pedro Alvarez and Mike Napoli.
Ortiz reiterated his endorsement for Encarnacion over the weekend at his Celebrity Golf Classic, which the former Blue Jays first baseman/designated hitter attended.
|12.05.16 at 1:28 pm ET|
Veteran left-hander Rich Hill, who resurrected his career in September of 2015 with the Red Sox, hit it big in free agency on Monday, agreeing to a three-year, $48 million deal with the Dodgers, the team announced.
The Milton native, who converted to a starter with the independent Long Island Ducks before signing with the Red Sox on Aug. 14, 2015, went 12-5 with a 2.12 ERA between Oakland and Los Angeles last season.
The 37-year-old has played for eight teams in his career. He went 4-1 with a 1.44 ERA over parts of four seasons with the Red Sox.
He underwent a late-career renaissance in part because of an increased focus on his curveball, under the guidance of assistant Red Sox pitching coach Brian Bannister.
Hill is 38-28 with a 4.10 ERA over his 12 years in the big leagues.
|12.05.16 at 11:46 am ET|
The Red Sox have had dalliances with Pedro Alvarez over the years. Could he finally join them?
With the Red Sox in the market for an affordable DH on a one-year deal, and higher-profile performers like Carlos Beltran (Astros) and Matt Holliday (Yankees) leaving the board, someone like Alvarez could be a fit.
That would be a dream come true for the Bronx native, who actually grew up a Red Sox fan. It’s why his college coach, Vanderbilt’s Tim Corbin, worried that Alvarez would spurn him after the Red Sox selected him in the 14th round of the 2005 draft.
“He’s a New York kid, so you would’ve thought the Yankees were his team,” Corbin said in 2014. “But all along the Red Sox were his favorite team. That raised some concerns with me with where his emotions would lead him.”
According to former Red Sox scouting director Jason McLeod, the team was prepared to budge off its $850,000 offer to move closer to Alvarez’s desired $1 million, but in the end he chose school and it worked out, because the Pirates eventually made him the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 draft, signing him for $6 million.
“It came right down to that morning,” Alvaerz said in 2014. “School was very important to my family, and [signing] just didn’t feel right at the time. Something was telling us to go the school route, and we just held onto faith and hoped that everything worked out. Once I made the decision, there was no turning back.”
When the Red Sox considered ways to fill their hole at third base after the 2014 season, they canvassed the league for players whose arbitration numbers could make them trade targets. Alvarez’s name was on that list, but the Red Sox couldn’t risk acquiring a third baseman who had just committed 25 errors and was certain to move to first base or DH, positions the Red Sox had filled with Mike Napoli and David Ortiz, respectively.
They instead chose Pablo Sandoval, a decision that contributed to GM Ben Cherington losing his job and the Red Sox finishing last in 2015.
Times have changed, however. Alvarez just slugged .504 with 22 homers for the Orioles. He hit 21 homers with an .848 OPS against righties and could give the Red Sox the left-handed half of a potential DH platoon.
They’ve missed out on him twice. Maybe the third time will be the charm.
|12.05.16 at 10:54 am ET|
Talking to his former manager, there is an understanding why clubs might be willing to live without the kind of stuff Holland had prior to his Tommy John surgery at the end of the 2015 season.
“Absolutely,” said Royals manager Ned Yost from the MLB Winter Meetings Monday when asked if Holland could once again duplicate the kind of results that made him one of the best closers in baseball through 2013-14. “I don’t know if he is ever going to be what he was … and I mean stuff-wise, 97, 98 mph. But the thing about Greg Holland is I’ve never met anybody that was more of a fierce, fearless competitor than he was. And when you have that in your DNA you can get by at 92, 93 mph. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets back to being the dominant guy he was before because he has that makeup and that mentality. When he steps on that mound he’s some kind of fierce competitor.”
The Red Sox remain interested in Holland while looking for another eighth-inning option. (One MLB source called the reliever a “very popular” player among teams at the meetings.)
The idea of having more than one reliever who can close has become a popular notion on big league rosters, as was first evidenced with Yost’s bullpens in Kansas City. Along with Craig Kimbrel, the Red Sox are hoping Joe Kelly and/or Matt Barnes can join a healthy Carson Smith as pitchers the Sox can lean on in high-leverage, late-inning situations.
“I think what teams are trying to do, or what the successful teams have done, they have a seventh inning guy, an eighth inning guy and a ninth inning guy and all three of them can pitch in the ninth inning,” Yost said. “All three of them can pitch in the ninth inning. All three can close. When you have that it’s a huge advantage late in the game.”
|12.05.16 at 7:35 am ET|
According to a major league source at the Winter Meetings, the 31-year-old reliever is “a popular guy” in this free agent market. WEEI.com recently learned the Red Sox have been among the most aggressive teams pursuing Holland, although their level of interest is shared by multiple teams.
Holland remains an interesting option for the Red Sox, who are prioritizing finding an eighth-inning reliever.
The former Royals closer missed all of last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery, but showed good health while performing in a showcase for teams in early November. Holland won’t start throwing again for another few weeks after taking some time off following the workout.
The righty had been one of the most dominant closers in baseball prior to pitching with a bad elbow in 2015. From 2013-14, Holland went 93-for-98 in save opportunities, totaling a 1.32 ERA and .170 batting average against.
One potential late-inning relief option came off the table when Joaquin Benoit agreed to a one-year deal with the Phillies Sunday, according to multiple reports Former Blue Jay Brett Cecil also is off the table, inking a four-year, $30.5 million contract with the Cardinals.
As for late-inning relievers still on the market, Sergio Romo and Brad Ziegler are two who remain available.The Red Sox are not believed to be in the mix for the free agent market’s high-end closers, such as Aroldis Chapman, Mark Melancon and Kenley Jansen.
|12.04.16 at 10:32 pm ET|
Cross another potential Red Sox DH off the list.
The Yankees on Sunday agreed to a one-year, $13 million deal with veteran slugger Matt Holliday, according to multiple published reports.
Holliday, who turns 37 next month, hit .246 with 20 homers last year for the Cardinals, who did not pick up his $17 million option.
The 13-year vet is a lifetime .305 hitter with 295 home runs. With fellow veteran Carlos Beltran agreeing a day earlier to a one-year contract with the Astros, the Red Sox are now looking at a slim market for DH types.
Old friend Mike Napoli is one option, along with Pedro Alvarez, who slugged .504 with 22 homers for the Orioles last year.
|12.03.16 at 2:30 pm ET|
Cross Carlos Beltran off the list of potential Red Sox designated hitters.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, Beltran has agreed to a one-year, $16 million deal with the Astros that includes a full no-trade clause.
Beltran, who turns 40 in April, hit .295 with an .850 OPS last year. The switch hitter was considered a potential one-year stopgap at DH for the Red Sox, who may now turn their attention to former Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday.
|12.02.16 at 3:51 pm ET|
PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic — While the Red Sox’ focus these days remain on finding a replacement for David Ortiz and an eighth-inning relief pitcher, according to the former Red Sox designated hitter there should be something else on the organization’s radar.
Don’t forget about saving some money for Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr.
“They are baseball,” said Ortiz of the trio when speaking at his celebrity golf tournament Friday. “In a heartbeat, I would sit down to talk to those kids. The most important about them is that they have that work ethic as a younger player. That’s something that to me, they have unbelievable value. These kids, they come to the field and it’s straight business. Me, as a veteran player, knowing how you come from the bottom to the top, it’s something that to me is extremely important. Those are the players you he want on your ball club. Young, talented, with that mentality, that’s on another level. I know that at some point, the red sox will have to sit down with them, with Jackie, even my main who played left field [Andrew Benintendi] that has a couple of days in the big leagues, they’re going to sit down with all those kids because they are what people want. I want to come the field every day to see what they can do.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?