Full Count
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Dustin Pedroia may be shut down for season

09.09.14 at 4:17 pm ET
By   |   Comments

According to Red Sox manager John Farrell, Dustin Pedroia “could be” shut down for the season after an MRI confirmed there is increased inflammation in the second baseman’s left hand/wrist.

He’s got some soreness in the left hand, and he’s been getting treatment on it for some time now. As it has worsened some, we felt like he needs to give this a little bit of a break,” said Farrell. “I can’t say whether it’s directly related to the repair that he went through last year, but an MRI did reveal that it’s got further inflammation in the left hand, left wrist area. … It’s been a little while, and yet he’s been banged up a little bit and being able to manage it to a certain extent while still playing. As it continued to worsen a little bit, we backed him off.”

Farrell didn’t know yet if surgery would be an option, saying that Pedroia has been dealing with the issue for a while. The team, the manager said, is still working to gather more information about the extent of the injury and options for dealing with it.

“It’s had an impact, there’s no doubt,” said Farrell. “To what extent is hard to say, but he’s dealt with this for some time.”

Farrell said that Pedroia had continued to play because there was no risk of further injury, but given his worsening health, the team recognized the need to evaluate him.

“If he were to continue to play, does it put him at further risk? I don’t think that the medical staff is saying he’s at further risk. It’s just to the point where the discomfort is there, and we’re taking some time now to gather all the information and lay out the best plan going forward for him,” said Farrell. :His long-term health is the most important thing, and that will always be kept in the forefront.”

Pedroia is currently batting .278 with seven homers, scoring 72 runs , having played 134 games. He has also walked 51 times, while totaling 75 strikeouts.

Jemile Weeks is the Red Sox‘ starting lineup Tuesday, hitting eighth. Farrell said that when Brock Holt recovers from both a recent illness and a stiff neck, the team would like him to be its primary second baseman. He suggested that, for now, the team does not expect to consider Mookie Betts at second, instead preferring to continue his regular work in the outfield.

Tuesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Anthony Ranaudo vs. Chris Tillman

09.09.14 at 12:45 pm ET
By   |   Comments
Anthony Ranaudo

Anthony Ranaudo

The Red Sox will play their second game of a three-game series against the Orioles on Tuesday night. Rookie right-hander Anthony Ranaudo will oppose Chris Tillman.

On the road against the Yankees last Wednesday, Ranaudo (3-1, 4.63 ERA) lost his first major league start, which ended his three-game winning streak with the Red Sox. It still was a quality outing, as he allowed three runs over 5 1/3 innings. He also struck out one and walked just two batters.

Ranaudo did not win his fourth-ever big league start, but he said he felt confident in stuff at Yankee Stadium, despite pitching against the team he watched growing up as a kid.

“I felt really good, this is probably the most comfortable I’ve felt on the mound, the best I’ve felt about my stuff throughout the game and I felt probably it was the best I mixed my stuff,” Ranaudo said after the game

Tuesday’s start will be the fifth of Ranaudo’s career and fourth against an American League East opponent. He’s faced the Yankees twice, last time out and his first major league start — a win where he allowed two runs over six innings on Aug. 1. He also beat the Rays on Aug. 29 with six innings of three-run ball.

He has never faced the Orioles, and Tuesday’s outing will be just his second ever at Fenway Park.

Compared to his minor league season with Triple-A Pawtucket where he struck out 111 hitters in 138 innings, Ranaudo has only punched out a combined eight hitters through his first four starts with the Red Sox. Pitching to contact more at the big league level, Ranaudo has seen his batting average against jump from .223 to .264 from the PawSox to the Red Sox.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: anthony ranaudo, Chris Tillman,

Curt Schilling returning in role as analyst on ESPN starting Thursday

09.09.14 at 11:43 am ET
By   |   Comments

ESPN has announced that former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling will be returning to his role as baseball analyst on ESPN. Schilling, who has been in an eight-month battle with mouth cancer, will be on “Baseball Tonight” on ESPN2 Thursday night at 10.

Schilling — who first publicly explained his battle with cancer when appearing on the Dennis & Callahan show during the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Telethon (click here for audio/text of the interview) — has been in remission since June.

The 47-year-old Schilling (who has lost nearly 60 pounds due to the battle with the disease) is slated to be a regular contributor on the Thursday night show, according the network.

Read More: Curt Schilling,

Why you should have cared about Monday’s Red Sox game: Joe Kelly giving some clarity to 2015 rotation

09.08.14 at 10:21 pm ET
By   |   Comments

(For the final month of the regular season, “Closing Time” will be called “Why You Should Have Cared,” looking beyond the final score — at a time when losses are arguably more valuable to the Sox than wins (for draft and waiver position) — for either meaningful signs for 2015 or simple aesthetic considerations.)

Right-hander Joe Kelly submitted his third straight quality start against an AL East opponent on Monday. (Getty Images)

Right-hander Joe Kelly submitted his third straight quality start against an AL East opponent on Monday. (Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

A National League scout recently was taking stock of the Red Sox‘ inventory of young arms and their potential to round out the team’s 2015 rotation. He paused when he got to right-hander Joe Kelly. He raved about the movement of Kelly’s high-velocity two-seamer, about his ability to keep the ball off the barrel of hitter’s bats, noted the quality of the secondary stuff. The idea of having Kelly under team control for four prime years, even at the cost of John Lackey?

“I’d do it every time,” the scout said, noting that Allen Craig represented, to his mind, no more than a secondary piece.

Of course, the Sox right now are not likely seeing the best of Kelly. The pitcher has talked about how he is been playing catch-up all year, ever since landing on the disabled list due to a hamstring tear (incurred while bunting for a base hit) in the first month of the year, after getting off to a tremendous start for the Cardinals.

Nonetheless, he is getting his legs with his new team. On Monday, Kelly delivered his third straight quality start against an American League East foe, going 6 1/3 innings while allowing four runs (but just three earned) on six hits (all singles) and three walks while matching his career-high (for the second straight outing) with six strikeouts. He elicited 11 groundball outs. In his three outings against division opponents, he has a 3.79 ERA while gaining familiarity with the Blue Jays, Yankees and Orioles lineups.

On Monday, his outing wasn’t enough for a victory on a night when the Red Sox were shut out for the 14th time this year, losing to the Orioles by a 4-0 count. But Kelly continues to solidify his standing in the rotation for next year, looking like a pitcher with the stuff and experience to compete reliably, to be part of a winning team.

Read the rest of this entry »

Red Sox announce 2015 schedule

09.08.14 at 4:18 pm ET
By   |   Comments

The Red Sox will open next season on April 6 on the road against the Phillies, followed by a trip to play the Yankees in New York before the home opener against the Washington Nationals on Monday, April 13. It will mark the second straight year that the Sox are opening against a National League opponent.

Some details from the press release, with the schedule available below:

The club will open the season on the road for the fifth straight year. This year will be the club’€™s first regular season opener in Philadelphia since 1954, the last year the city had an American League franchise, the Athletics. It also marks the first time the Red Sox have ever opened a season against a National League team.

The Red Sox are scheduled to play 76 games versus their American League East rivals, 19 games each against the New York Yankees, Baltimore Orioles, Toronto Blue Jays, and Tampa Bay Rays.

The Red Sox will face the National League East Division for Interleague play. In addition to the Nationals, the Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies, and Miami Marlins will visit Fenway Park. Read the rest of this entry »

Red Sox call up Matt Barnes to pitch out of bullpen

09.08.14 at 3:51 pm ET
By   |   Comments
Right-hander Matt Barnes received his first big league call-up on Monday. (Jillian Souza/Pawtucket Red Sox.)

Right-hander Matt Barnes received his first big league call-up on Monday. (Jillian Souza/Pawtucket Red Sox.)

The Red Sox have called up right-hander Matt Barnes from Triple-A Pawtucket. Though he has spent his entire career (save for one outing as a piggyback starter) in the rotation, the 24-year-old — a first-round pick in the 2011 draft — will pitch out of the bullpen for the duration of the season.

Barnes had a rough start to the year. He was shut down due to shoulder discomfort as a non-roster invitee in his first big league spring training, and when he joined the PawSox, he went 4-7 with a 5.06 ERA, 6.9 strikeouts and 3.7 walks per nine innings prior to the All-Star break, struggling with his pitch efficiency and sometimes showing diminished life on his stuff relative to previous years. However, he turned his season around following the mid-year break.

In his most recent outing — a Triple-A International League playoff game last week — he logged seven shutout innings in which he gave up three hits (a double and two singles), walked none and punched out six. It marked the sixth time in eight outings that Barnes had pitched into the seventh inning, something he’€™d done just four times in his first 65 pro games. He threw 65 of 101 pitches (64 percent) for strikes. In nine starts since the All-Star break including the regular season and Thursday’€™s outing, Barnes now has a 2.10 ERA with 7.8 strikeouts and just 2.3 walks per nine.

“He was up and down most of the first part of the season,” said PawSox pitching coach Rich Sauveur. “What we’re trying to do is just stay compact instead of getting real long, tilting his back and trying to get his arm at a higher slot. He’s done a great job working on this in the [bullpen sessions] and then carried it over to the games.”  Read the rest of this entry »

Red Sox minor league roundup: Rusney Castillo keeps hitting as Portland’s season ends

09.08.14 at 11:12 am ET
By   |   Comments

And then there was one.

Double-A Portland was eliminated from the playoffs with a Game 5 loss to Binghamton on Sunday, thus ending a season that saw perhaps the greatest wealth of near big-league ready Sox prospects since the extraordinary Portland class of 2005. It is not hard to imagine several impact big leaguers emerging from a roster that at different points featured Mookie Betts, Blake Swihart, Henry Owens, Rusney Castillo, Deven Marrero, Brian Johnson, Eduardo Rodriguez and Sean Coyle.

But with Portland out, the Red Sox‘ minor league season is now down to Triple-A Pawtucket, which will open its best-of-five Governor’s Cup championship series on Tuesday at McCoy Stadium.

DOUBLE-A PORTLAND SEA DOGS: 8-5 LOSS VS. BINGHAMTON (METS); LOSE BEST-OF-FIVE SERIES, 3-2

(BOX)

Rusney Castillo played a full nine innings (albeit at DH) for the first time since signing with the Sox, once again showing the ability to drive the ball to the opposite field by going 2-for-5 with a double to right. He also had a strikeout. The 27-year-old, who is 6-for-19 with two walks, two strikeouts and a steal through six minor league games, will now join Triple-A Pawtucket to get more at-bats in the minors prior to his callup to the big leagues.

— Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez will join Castillo in heading from Portland to Pawtucket to continue his season. Rodriguez, 21, has thrown 126 2/3 innings this year between the regular season and playoffs, down from the 145 innings he logged in the Orioles’ system last year. After a year and a half in Double-A, Rodriguez will get his first exposure to Triple-A. He’s forged a 6-8 record and 3.55 ERA with 114 strikeouts and 39 walks in 126 2/3 innings in Double-A this year, with a 3-1 record, 1.23 ERA, 39 walks and eight strikeouts in 44 innings after joining Portland following the trade that sent him from the Orioles to the Sox.

— Right-hander Luis Diaz was shelled for seven runs (all earned) on eight hits (four doubles) in just 3 2/3 innings with two walks and two strikeouts.

Sean Coyle, who was hit on the wrist by a pitch on Saturday, proved unable to play. Coyle told the Portland Press-Herald that X-rays were negative for a fracture, but that swelling and inflammation rendered him unable to play.

Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Ace Ticket
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify