|09.09.15 at 3:23 pm ET|
Dustin Pedroia is back at second base, a night after returning from the disabled list. He went 1-for-4 last night with a double.
Rusney Castillo will play left field, Mookie Betts center field and Jackie Bradley Jr. right field, as the Sox go up against Jays’ right-hander Drew Hutchison.
Ryan Hanigan will catch Red Sox starter Joe Kelly as he goes for his eighth win in a row.
For an extensive look at the matchups, click here.
Here is the complete Red Sox lineup:
Mookie Betts, CF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Travis Shaw, 1B
Pablo Sandoval, 3B
Rusney Castillo, LF
Ryan Hanigan, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., RF
Joe Kelly, RHP
|09.09.15 at 11:27 am ET|
In Wednesday’s series finale at Fenway Park, Joe Kelly will look to continue his recent dominance when he goes up against Blue Jays right-hander Drew Hutchison, who is in the midst of the best season of his young career.
Kelly (9-6, 4.84 ERA) picked up right where he left off in August on Friday night, going six innings and allowing two earned runs on five hits and three walks against the Phillies. Kelly extended his win streak to seven games with the 7-5 victory. The only other Red Sox pitchers to win seven consecutive starts since 2000 are Curt Schilling in 2004 and Josh Beckett in 2007, both in the midst of World Series-winning seasons.
“You get on a run like this and I think you feel good internally knowing that you put this hard work in, you’re getting the results and you’re graduating to the next level,” interim manager Tory Lovullo said of Kelly’s recent success. “I know that he wants to finish strong and have a good offseason and be ready for next year. He’s in a real, real locked-in spot.”
Added Lovullo: “He deserves it. He really deserves it. He had great expectations early in the year, and then he finds himself in Pawtucket. He kept his head on straight. He did what he was supposed to do, and he’s on an incredible run.”
Even with Kelly’s early struggles, his recent work leaves him two victories away from his career high for wins in a season (11). In three starts against Toronto this year, Kelly is 0-1 with a 7.64 ERA and 12 walks in 17 2/3 innings. Josh Donaldson, who scored the go-ahead run in the 10th inning of Toronto’s 5-1 victory at Fenway on Tuesday night, is 5-for-9 against Kelly in 2015.
|09.08.15 at 11:34 pm ET|
Although the team didn’t win, dropping a 5-1, extra-inning game to division-leading Toronto, Pedroia and his previously injured right hamstring came through his nine innings of action fine.
“I felt great,” Pedroia said. “I just wish we had won. We played hard, we just couldn’t find a way to score some more runs. It was great to be out there with the guys.”
The 32-year-old Pedroia, who finished the night 1-for-4 with a wall-ball double, said he feels good about the prospects of playing again on Wednesday in the final game of the three-game series. Interim manager Torey Lovullo said they would re-evaluate Pedroia’s health on Wednesday before making a lineup decision.
“Dustin checked out real good,” Lovullo said after the loss, admitting that he had to convince Pedroia to come out of the game before it finished. “I explained to him that, ‘I know you want to play tomorrow, and there’s only one chance you can play tomorrow, and that’s if you come out of this game right now.’ We have a soft template in place, but it’s all going to be contingent on how he feels tonight and tomorrow morning. But, everything was fine. He saw the ball well, nothing moved to fast for him at the plate. Made some double play turns. Made a couple of overall nice plays on defense. He ran the bases well without any limitations, and that was what we were looking for.”
Pedroia said he surprised himself a little at how comfortable he felt at the plate in his first game back, without the benefit of a rehab assignment.
“I actually felt pretty good,” Pedroia said of his three at-bats against Toronto kunckleballer R.A. Dickey and one against reliever Mark Lowe. “It was kind of tough facing the knuckleball. Especially, [Dickey] was on. But my next at-bat I saw a fastball and a slider, and I felt fine. I didn’t want to come out. But I understand what they’re doing. So I have to do what I’m told.”
|09.08.15 at 10:43 pm ET|
With the Red Sox locked in a 1-1 game against the Blue Jays in the 10th on Tuesday night, reliever Alexi Ogando imploded, allowing four runs on three hits, a walk, a wild pitch, an balk, and a sacrifice fly. When it was over, so were the Red Sox en route to a 5-1 loss that dropped them back into sole possession of last place, a game behind the Orioles, who beat the Yankees.
Toronto MVP candidate Josh Donaldson appeared to give the Jays the lead in the 10th when he led off against Ogando with a blast off the top of the left field wall, but it was ruled live and upheld on replay, with Donaldson settling for a triple.
A Jose Bautista flyout to medium center wasn’t deep enough to score Donaldson, and after an intentional walk to Edwin Encarnacion, new Blue Jays shortstop Troy Tulowitzki ripped a single to left to break the 1-1 tie.
Milford’s Chris Colabello padded the lead with an RBI single off the glove of diving Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts, Ogando balked in a run, and that was that.
“Tried to just navigate through their lineup the best that we could, give ourselves the best opportunity to get through that inning,” said interim manager Torey Lovullo. “Obviously one of the best players in the American League comes up with a leadoff triple. We’re just trying to preserve that run the best that you can. I thought we came up with a pretty good game plan and Tulowitzki beat us with a groundball through the left side of the diamond. I think we were in good position, we were in the right place. Just found a hole. You’ve got to give him some credit for executing.”
A low-scoring game in extras didn’t necessarily appear to be on the docket when this one started. The Red Sox and Jays have owned two of baseball’s hottest offenses since the start of August, and with Toronto dominating left-handed pitching, it looked like it could be a long night for starter Henry Owens, who was coming off the worst outing of his young career, a seven-run stinker against the Yankees in just 1 2/3 innings.
Owens delivered the kind of start on Tuesday that plagued him early in the season at Triple-A Pawtucket, allowing virtually nothing in the hits department (3 in 5 1/3 innings), but also walking four, hitting two batters, throwing a pair of wild pitches, and needing 95 pitches just to get through the first out of the sixth.
“I’m trying to go deeper, obviously, but my pitch count got up and I just tried to have a couple of quick innings, and fortunately went out to the sixth, gave up a hit and walk and [Jean] Machi came in there and closed the door,” Owens said.
On the plus side, Owens limited the damage against one of baseball’s top lineups. On the down side, he was erratic and also a bit lucky, particularly on a mammoth foul home run by Donaldson that was upheld on review.
On the other side, the Red Sox couldn’t do much with knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, who limited them to four hits and a run in six innings, striking out four. Dickey’s only mistake was a flat knuckler to Travis Shaw, which the rookie deposited into the visiting bullpen to tie the game at 1-1 in the second inning.
The Jays had already struck for a run in the first in a frame that could’ve gone spun completely out of control before Owens reeled it back in. He hit leadoff man Ben Revere and promptly wild-pitched him to second before inducing Donaldson to line out sharply to left. Bautista walked and the Jays pulled off a double steal with the dangerous Encarnacion at the plate. But groundouts by Encarnacion and Tulowitzki limited the damage to the lone run.
|09.08.15 at 6:04 pm ET|
Pedroia, 32, missed 16 games with the same injury from June 25 through July 16, returning for just five games before re-aggravating the hamstring. Finally, with 25 games left in the season, Pedroia is ready to play and will be in the starting lineup against the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
“[I’m] really excited to have him back in the lineup,” said interim manager Torey Lovullo. “It’s been a long road for him. He’s been champing at the bit for a few days, which is a good sign. We were holding him back. He has worked so hard behind the scenes to make this day happen. I’m just really happy for him, happy for the Boston Red Sox, happy for the opportunity that he’s going to give us to watch him play.”
Pedroia has played in 75 games this season, slashing .287/.348/.426 with nine homers and 15 doubles before hitting the disabled list.
“It’s frustrating,” said Pedroia. “It happens, you’ve got to learn from it and come back better. I feel strong. I’m not worried about getting through the game this time, I’m worried about trying to play good. The last time I felt I was trying to do something here and there to help us win, I didn’t feel strong. I don’t know if I was ready. But, you turn the page on that, learn from it, and that’s where we’re at today. I worked real hard with a lot of different people to get to this point and decided to move forward and play with these guys.”
Lovullo denied that the Red Sox pushed Pedroia back too soon in July before the re-aggravation.
“He was being a typical athlete that was put in a situation where he could go out and play,” Lovullo said. “[He was] probably not at 100 percent. And he understood the ramifications of that, but he wanted to play. He wasn’t forced to play, I want to make that perfectly clear. But we could quickly see that things weren’t right through that Anaheim series, and that’s when we had to pull back and make sure that he was doing the best thing for Dustin Pedroia at that point.”
|09.08.15 at 5:21 pm ET|
Thoughts on the 2016 Red Sox schedule, which was released on Tuesday afternoon.
- The Red Sox open in Cleveland on Monday, April 4 before heading to Toronto for a three-game set. The home opener is Monday, April 11 against the Orioles, and highlights an April heavy on division play. By the end of the month, the Red Sox will have faced every division foe at least once, and the Blue Jays twice.
- The Red Sox get the NL West in interleague play, which means trips to San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and visits from Colorado, San Francisco, and Arizona. That means three West Coast trips next season, including a killer 11-game trek through Anaheim, Seattle, and Los Angeles from July 28-Aug. 7.
- The second half of the season is shaping up to be a travel bear, with a quartet of three-city road trips. By comparison, the Red Sox only had three such trips scheduled all season this year.
- The Red Sox had best make hay through August, because they’ll be ending the season on the road. Just 10 of their final 29 games will be at Fenway, beginning Sept. 1 with a West Coast swing through Oakland and San Diego.
- They finish the season with 23 games in 24 days against division rivals, closing out the season on Oct. 2 against Toronto.
|09.08.15 at 3:50 pm ET|
After missing over a month of action, Dustin Pedroia is back.
The second baseman has been activated from the disabled list and will start at second base in the second game of a three-game set against the Blue Jays Tuesday night at Fenway Park.
He hasn’t played since July 23 when he aggravated a hamstring injury he suffered in late June.
Brock Holt shifts from second base to left field, while Mookie Betts will play center field and Jackie Bradley Jr. will play right field as the Red Sox go up against knuckleballer R.A. Dickey.
Blake Swihart will catch Red Sox starter Henry Owens.
For an extensive look at the matchups, click here.
Here is a complete look at the Red Sox lineup:
Mookie Betts, CF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Travis Shaw, 1B
Pablo Sandoval, 3B
Brock Holt, LF
Blake Swihart, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., RF
Henry Owens, LHP
|09.08.15 at 9:46 am ET|
In 2011, Sam Travis was named Illinois Player of the Year as a senior at Providence Catholic High School on the south side of Chicago. In 2012, at Indiana University, he was named Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Year. Two years later, as a junior, Travis grabbed Big Ten Conference Player of the Year.
Later this month, it’s a good bet that Travis will add Red Sox Minor League Offensive Player of the Year to his growing list of accolades. Travis’ 2015 season is in the books, and he led all Boston minor leaguers with a .307 average (150-for-489) and 78 RBIs.
“It’s obviously a great honor,” Travis said of the team-leading categories. “But I know I can be better.”
If Travis is right, Triple-A Pawtucket is in for a treat in 2016.
Over the first half of this year (66 games) with High-A Salem, Travis slashed .313/.378/.467 with five homers, four triples, 15 doubles, 40 RBIs, 35 runs scored and 10 steals. Over the second half of the year (65 games) with Double-A Portland, the 22-year-old slashed .300/.384/.436 with four homers, two triples, 17 doubles, 38 RBIs, 35 runs and nine steals.
Portland Sea Dogs manager Billy McMillon caught the second act, and to nobody’s surprise came away impressed with his first baseman.
“He’s a baseball player,” McMillon said. “He’s a throwback to players from yesteryear. He doesn’t wear batting gloves, he just steps in the batter’s box and gives us a great at-bat. He’s a guy that I haven’t really seen give away at-bats. For me, that’s one of the hallmarks of a good hitter, they minimize the number of at-bats that they give away. He’s done a really good job of competing, hitting the ball hard, and he’s just done a tremendous job for us.”
|09.08.15 at 8:59 am ET|
A look at the action in the Red Sox farm system on Monday, the final day of the regular season for all the affiliates listed below:
TRIPLE-A PAWTUCKET RED SOX (59-85): W, 10-2, vs. Buffalo (Blue Jays)
— Shortstop Marco Hernandez (Boston’s No. 23 prospect at MLB.com) went 4-for-5 with a homer, a double, four RBIs and two runs scored. Hernandez, 23, had a single in the first inning, an RBI single in the third and his fourth Triple-A home run in the sixth as as he turned on a 2-2 pitch and pulled it deep to right over the fence to extend Pawtucket’s lead to 5-1. Then, in the seventh, the lefty-batting Hernandez doubled off a lefty hurler as he sprayed one opposite field down the left-field line to drive in two more.
“He keeps improving,” Pawtucket manager Kevin Boles told the Providence Journal in regard to Hernandez. “This is our first look at him, but you can see why we had interest in him and why he’s in our uniform now. He’s got plus hand speed through the zone. You can see that he can impact the baseball.”
Acquired by Boston in December of 2014 as the player to be named later in the trade of Felix Doubront to the Cubs, Hernandez finished the season with a .305/.330/.454 slash line over 114 games played between Double-A Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket. In his 68 games with the PawSox, Hernandez slashed .271/.300/.409 and he finished with a .395 (19-for-48) surge over his final 12 games, including four multi-hit games in his final seven contests. Hernandez hit .315 in Triple-A against left-handed pitching, but clubbed all four of his homers against righties. The 6-foot Dominican hit in the two-hole of the lineup for each of the final nine games.
— RHP William Cuevas picked up the win in his final start of the season with a final line of: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO (88 pitches, 59 strikes). It was the seventh Triple-A start for Cuevas (3-2, 2.63 ERA), who pitched at least five innings and allowed two earned runs or less in all seven outings. The 24-year-old allowed just two singles and a walk through his first five innings on Monday, allowing a lone run in the sixth on a pair of doubles. Finishing the year with wins in his last three decisions, Cuevas struck out 37 batters over 41 innings with Pawtucket while walking 14. Before being promoted to the PawSox on Aug. 4, Cuevas made 19 starts with Double-A Portland and went 8-5 with a 3.40 ERA (95 1/3 IP, 84 H, 36 ER, 91 K, 41 BB) and was named an Eastern League All-Star. Cuevas also was named Portland’s Pitcher of the Year on Monday.
— RHP Matt Barnes relieved Cuevas and struck out two in his lone inning of work after allowing a single. Barnes, 25, finished the year with 17 Triple-A appearances, including five starts, as he allowed 17 earned runs over 37 2/3 innings (4.06 ERA) while striking out 41 and walking 22. Selected by Boston in the first round (19th overall) of the 2011 draft out of the University of Connecticut, the 6-foot-4 Barnes also had four stints in the majors in 2015, going 3-4 with a 6.89 ERA over 23 appearances, with 31 strikeouts in 32 innings to go with 12 walks.
|09.08.15 at 8:20 am ET|
For the middle game of a three-game series at Fenway, 23-year-old Red Sox rookie Henry Owens will take on 40-year-old Blue Jays knuckleballer R.A. Dickey.
Owens (2-2, 5.87 ERA) began this year in Pawtucket. He was called up Aug. 4 when Rick Porcello was placed on the DL, and remained in the rotation after Porcello returned. Owens has made six starts, and four of them were promising — three runs or less. However, he struggled in his most recent outing, lasting just 1 2/3 innings against the Yankees and allowing seven runs (all earned) on six hits — including two home runs — and two walks in last Wednesday’s 13-8 loss. Owens retired the first four Yankees but then allowed eight straight to reach base.
“It wasn’t his best day. We all know that,” Red Sox interim manager Torey Lovullo said. “He started off really strong and it happened pretty quick when they jumped on him.”
Owens was the victim of some rookie hazing on Sunday, as his teammates taped him to a pole in the dugout during their 6-2 victory over the Phillies.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens