|10.11.16 at 6:32 pm ET|
All of the focus on Xander Bogaerts’ disappearing bat this season obscured the step back he took on defense, as well.
A Gold Glove finalist in 2015, Bogaerts regressed on that side of the ball as well, this year. According to Baseball Info Solutions, he didn’t cost the team any runs defensively last year, but in 2016, he cost the team 10 runs on defense.
President of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski addressed Bogaerts’ defensive shortcomings on Tuesday.
“I think Bogey did fine at short,” he said. “I know the defensive metrics are not great. I don’t think he has the range of some of the other shortstops that are out there. With Bogey’s case, he plays well at short, but he’s also a guy you’d describe as an offensive shortstop. I don’t think he’s hurt us defensively. I think his offense more than makes up for whatever lack of range he may have compared to some of the other guys.
“You think of a guy like [Detroit’s Jose] Iglesias, who had much more range, but is nowhere near the offensive force Xander would be. So I think he did a fine job for us. He’s a good player, and we look for him to be our shortstop next year and for years to come. He’s going to have to keep working on it because he’s a big guy, and big guys like that have to continue to emphasize their quickness.”
Offensively, Bogaerts made his first All-Star team by hitting .329 with an .863 OPS in the first half, but he fell to .253 with a .718 OPS in the second, necessitating a drop to sixth in the batting order during the playoffs.
With the glove, the defensive component of his wins above replacement dropped from 0.9 last year to minus-0.1 this year.
|10.11.16 at 6:24 pm ET|
Drew Pomeranz was skipped in the rotation for his final start of the year with a forearm injury, as well as because of a career-high in innings pitched.
His elbow was also a major topic of discussion following his trade to the Red Sox from the Padres for top pitching prospect Anderson Espinoza as following the deal, Padres general manager A.J. Preller was suspended for 30 days over the deceptive practice of maintaining two separate injury databases — one for view by other clubs in potential trade discussions and then a more detailed one for the team’s use.
With Pomeranz, the Padres reportedly hid the use of anti-inflammatories to treat a sore elbow.
Speaking Tuesday at Fenway Park when discussing the state of the Red Sox rotation going into next year, president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski hinted Pomeranz may be injured.
“And I like Pomeranz as part of that rotation,” Dombrowski said. “Of course we have some medical followup with Drew. I’m anticipating that he’ll be fine for spring training but until he sees the doctor, will 100 percent we know that.”
Dombrowski was also asked about the MLB investigation into the trade, as it was learned a few weeks go the Red Sox could have rescinded the trade, but opted not to.
“I really don’t have much to say on Drew Pomeranz, because that’s a situation from the commissioner’s office and they’ve spoken on that situation and made their decision,” he said. “I feel for Drew only to the extent that it’s his health. We wanted him to be a part of this organization and we’re glad that he’s part of our organization. When they gave us that option, we’d like to have him with us. We think he’s a fine big league pitcher. He made the All-Star team. It’s a situation where I think he understands there’s a separation from what the commissioner’s office is talking about from an injury perspective and our desire to have him.
“We look forward to him being part of our rotation. We feel for him. I’m hopeful that he’ll be OK going into next year and the doctors will be the ones that advise us on that, but I think he will be.”
|10.11.16 at 5:25 pm ET|
The Red Sox bullpen will likely look a lot different next year than it did in the ALDS.
With a number of free agent relievers, the Red Sox have a number of decisions to make with certain players, including 41-year-old Koji Uehara.
If the Red Sox are interested in him returning, he likely would have to take a pay cut as he made $9 million this year, but given his age and durability issues, he may have played his last game as a member of the Red Sox and even career if he chooses to retire.
“Koji’s done an unbelievable job for this organization throughout the time period,” president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said. “And age factor, you always worry when a guy gets older. It’s just, it’s the aging process. … So Koji’s a very special guy when it comes to the aging process, what he does. It’s been amazing when he’s on the mound. I don’t know how you really interpret a guy going forward at that. I don’t have any special formula. But I will also tell you Koji’s a hard guy to evaluate when he’s younger and healthy. Because he’s a very abnormal type pitcher. I mean how many guys that are throwing 88 mph blow the ball by you on a consistent basis? So he’s a tough evaluation no matter what.
“So, the answer to that, is yes, he wants to continue pitching, is he a tough evaluation, yes.”
After closing for the Red Sox since the 2013 season, Uehara was the set-up this year with the team acquiring closer Craig Kimbrel in the offseason. It was a tough year for the 41-year-old as he posted a 3.45 ERA, his highest as a member of the Red Sox, and wasn’t healthy for a second straight season.
Uehara missed the end of July and the entire month of August with a strained pectoral muscle. He returned Sept. 7, but wasn’t able to pitch back-to-back days or more than an inning in a given game the rest of the season.
“He’s still a very effective pitcher,” manager John Farrell said. “For someone who has done such a great job of keeping himself in shape, even with the pectoral injury he went through, he came back not with the same velocity, but the bottom-line results were still consistent. He’s a great guy to have on the team, a great teammate, and an elite performer late in the game. I think there’s pitching left with Koji, but these are all situations that we’ll have further discussion on.”
|10.11.16 at 4:52 pm ET|
Now that David Ortiz’s last game has come and gone, the question now is what will he do next?
The 40-year-old will likely have plenty of options from doing a lot of sponsorship work, to media work, to being involved with the Red Sox organization in some capacity, or he could just want to spend more time with his family.
A conversation between the Red Sox and Ortiz hasn’t occurred, but president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said he would like to sit down with him and discuss possible options.
As it stands now, there are a number of former players who have remained in the organization like Pedro Martinez, Jason Varitek and Keith Faulke in player development roles.
“David Ortiz can have a job in this organization any time he wants,” Dombrowski said. “He probably can write his job title that he would like. So we’d love to have David Ortiz as part of our organization. Yes he’s going to be welcomed to do that. I also know that he has a lot of other opportunities. I’m hopeful that he’ll remain with us no matter what because I know that he’s also going to be getting opportunities and sponsorship and broadcasting and all those types of things. But yes we would love to have him.”
For more Red Sox news, visit weei.com/redsox.
|10.11.16 at 4:32 pm ET|
Both manager John Farrell and president Dave Dombrowski were non-committal when it came to the Red Sox’ plan when it comes to finding another designated hitter for 2017.
The first clarification is really whether or not the Red Sox will continue to implement a full-time designated hitter instead of somebody who bounces back and forth from the field to the DH role.
Only five American League teams had players who appeared in more than 100 games at the designated hitter spot, with Ortiz leading the way with 140 games played at DH. And of that group, Nelson Cruz, who served as a DH in 107 contests, really should be lumped in with the others who rotated between positions, such as Edwin Encarnacion and Carlos Santana.
“If that one guy hits 38 home runs and drives in 130, you’ll take that full-time DH,” Farrell said. “I think anything that you talk roster-wise, these are all discussions that are yet to be had. You really have no idea who’s available in terms of adding to your roster at this point in time of the season. I don’t know that that hitter exists right now, to be honest with you.”
The closest potential option to finding something close to Ortiz’s production will be Encarnacion, who is slated to become a free agent this offseason after hitting 42 home runs with an .886 OPS in 160 games.
If the Red Sox did want to make a run at the 33-year-old, there could be a scenario where Hanley Ramirez and Encarnacion rotate between first base and designated hitter. There is also the possibility the Sox use Ramirez as their primary DH, with Travis Shaw, Pablo Sandoval, Yoan Moncada and Sam Travis all allowing for flexibility between first base and third base.
“He might be both. I don’t really know that answer,” said Dombrowski when asked about Ramirez, who hit .364 with a 1.167 OPS in 48 plate appearances at DH this season. “I think he’s capable of doing both. Actually, to me, he did a fine job at first base. Personally, I like the availability of the option of doing both, because I think that if you have that flexibility, it probably fits with us better with the personnel that we have going forward. But we also have to have conversations with Hanley, too, before we get to that point.
“He’s shown he can play first base. I know he can also DH. He had a tremendous year. Last night when I walked around the clubhouse and shook everybody’s hand and wished them well, I made a special point to tell him how proud I was of him, how the organization was of him, how hard he worked. He deserves a lot of credit starting last wintertime with the approach and attitude he took. We look forward to big things next year for him.”
|10.11.16 at 4:24 pm ET|
It was a lost season for Pablo Sandoval.
After playing in just three games and going 0-for-6, Sandoval was lost for the season after needing shoulder surgery. This came after showing up to spring training out of shape and losing the starting third base job to Travis Shaw.
Following the surgery, Sandoval spent the majority of summer working out at JetBlue Park in Fort Myers with a goal of getting healthy enough for the ALCS, although he likely wouldn’t have been on the roster given his extended time away.
Sandoval was seen during the Tampa series late in the year where he clearly was in much better shape.
President of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski praised Sandoval during his end of the year press conference on Tuesday when discussing his status for next year.
“Well I think that in Pablo’s case, and we have a long haul until we get to the beginning of the season, the beginning of spring training, we’ve got four months ahead, so a lot of things could happen in four months,” Dombrowski said. “He should be proud of himself for how he’s handled the time since he left this club. I don’t know if you were in Tampa or not, you can see he’s appreciably got himself in better shape. He’s worked very hard for us down in Fort Myers, he’s been down there every day. He’s been a model with the young kids. Some of the people told Mike Hazen that he’s treated the younger kids better than anybody they’ve ever had down there from a Major League perspective, buying them food.
“His goal was to be ready, physically, to play in the ALCS. I don’t know that that would’ve happened, because our other people had been there all year, but from a health perspective, he’s really right there, so I think he’ll be healthy next year. There’s other guys that I’m sure say they should be the third baseman. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. But he’s been a proven big league performer. If he’s healthy and ready to go, he has a chance to be a good performer for us. I know people say, “Well . . . ” but the same thing was said about Hanley last year at the same time. Hanley worked very hard. That’s why there’s still a long haul ahead for him.”
|10.11.16 at 4:17 pm ET|
John Farrell’s most vocal critics inevitably cite his perceived deficiencies as an in-game manager when pushing for his dismissal.
Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski has a response for those people: it’s nowhere near the most important part of the job.
“I do not feel in-game strategy is the biggest thing as a manager,” Dombrowski said on Tuesday, hours after the Red Sox were swept from the American League Division Series by the Indians. “I think it’s important, but there are other things that are probably more important.
“To me, the most important thing for a manager is that their club plays up to their capabilities day-in, day-out, which means they’re communicating with their players and getting everything they can. That means their club is playing hard. In-game strategy, of course, is very important. But having been through this so much, and I’ve answered the question in the past here and I hope I’m not being too redundant, I think that’s what makes our game so interesting. A lot of people think they know more than the manager when it comes to strategy.”
Dombrowski noted that he has extensively talked strategy with Tony LaRussa, Jim Leyland, Joe Torre, and Bobby Cox, four Hall of Fame-caliber skippers.
“There’s a man on first base in a 2-2 game in the eighth inning and this is how it shapes up,” Dombrowski said. “One of them bunts, one hits-and-run, one steals and one does nothing. They all have their reasons in doing it. I think it’s most important that they are able to have a reason why they’re doing it, and so for me it’s a situation where there’s a lot of different ways to go about that. I think it’s having a pulse of your personnel and what works for you.
“John Farrell, you’re going to sit up there and you are not going to agree with the strategy all the time of anyone that is your manager. I learned that having Jim Leyland and Tony LaRussa. Tony’s already in the Hall of Fame and Jim should be. It’s just one of those things that comes with the territory.”
|10.11.16 at 2:10 pm ET|
John Farrell will be back in 2017.
Wasting little time at his post-season postmortem press conference, president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski on Tuesday announced that Farrell and his entire coaching staff will return next season.
“John Farrell will be our manager for 2017,” Dombrowski said. “He is all set and his whole staff will be invited back. . . . He has the respect of the clubhouse. We played well.”
Farrell is signed through 2017, with a team option for 2018. Dombrowski broke the news to Farrell as the two passed each other in the hall between their respective press conferences.
Farrell led the Red Sox to the playoffs for the second time in four seasons. The Red Sox went worst-to-first en route to 93 wins and their second AL East title on Farrell’s watch.
His coaches include Carl Willis (pitching), Chili Davis (hitting), Brian Butterfield (third base), Ruben Amaro (first base), Brian Bannister (assistant pitching), and Victor Rodriguez (assistant hitting).
Dombrowski added that bench coach Torey Lovullo will be allowed to interview for managerial openings, but that the team hopes to retain him.
He also said that Bannister will remain in uniform at the big-league level, but also have other responsibilities on the analytical side.
|10.11.16 at 11:05 am ET|
Former NFL coach Jerry Glanville used to leave tickets for Elvis Presley. For ex-Red Sox outfielder Daniel Nava, it was Erin Andrews. And Monday night, Joe Kelly found his guy.
Prior to Game 3 of the American League Division Series, the Red Sox reliever told the Twitter world that he was extending a personal invitation to the man who became an Internet sensation after asking a question at Sunday night’s presidential debate, Missouri resident Ken Bone.
Leaving you tickets to tonights game! https://t.co/sXcOUxdLBo
— Jk (@JosephKellyJr) October 10, 2016
After the Red Sox’ 4-3 loss, Kelly explained to WEEI.com the motivation behind the offering.
“Obviously, playing for St. Louis before, I just felt in my heart that I needed to leave an American hero tickets,” he said. “Obviously, the game didn’t end up the way we wanted to. He probably didn’t see it. All those Twitter accounts must be fake because he was using a disposal camera at the end of the night, so I doubt that he saw it. Maybe he heard it. One kid on Twitter told me that his grandma was next-door neighbors with him, so he would tell his grandma to tell him. Maybe next year or one day down the road we can meet up, hang out and share a couple of conversations.”
Would Kelly kept leaving tickets for Bone if the Red Sox moved on?
“One hundred percent,” the pitcher said. “If we won tonight, I would have had to leave them throughout the World Series.”
|10.11.16 at 3:19 am ET|
Some were brought to tears. Other just chose to reflect.
But what was evident following the Red Sox’ 4-3 loss to the Indians on Monday night was that this wasn’t your run-of-the-mill reaction to a season-ending defeat. Almost as impactful as the end of the the Sox’ season, was the realization that it was the end of David Ortiz’s career.
“I haven’t cried after a baseball game since I was in Little League probably, but tonight was different,” said the Red Sox’ starting pitcher for their Game 3 American League Division Series game, Clay Buchholz. “I’ve been around him my whole career, and knowing how much he loves the game and how much he would be around the game. If it was a possibility, he would be here. But I think his decision is made and that’s tough to swallow. What a great guy.”
Ortiz said his farewells after the game, first to his teammates in an impromptu post-game meeting, and then to a Fenway Park crowd that was still almost at capacity well after the final pitch.
The moment wasn’t lost on anyone in attendance.
“It’s was one of the coolest things,” said Red Sox pitcher Drew Pomeranz. “You think about getting traded over here and I get to be part of this, and get to watch one of the best there is. It was just really cool to see all that unfold. I did an interview at the All-Star Game and they were asking guys, ‘What has Big Papi done for baseball?’ At the time I had no idea I was coming here. Now, I have a whole different perspective, being here for the last few months.
“It’s one thing to hear people say that stuff, but it’s another thing to be a part of it. He’s great. He’s probably the greatest teammate ever, there ever was. Definitely the best one I’ve ever had. I feel honored to be part of that, to see who he is as a person and a baseball player.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill