Full Count
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Bo Jackson saying he wishes he would have never started playing football offers ultimate what could have been

01.12.17 at 2:37 pm ET
By   |   Comments
Bo Jackson. (Shanna Lockwood/USA Today Sports)

Bo Jackson. (Shanna Lockwood/USA Today Sports)

He was so good.

If you weren’t alive, or too young, to watch Bo Jackson do what he did on the football gridirons and baseball diamonds, you missed out. The best example I can give in terms of comparing Jackson to today’s baseball player? Think Mike Trout.

Before you start screaming that this guy who finished his 694-game major league career with a career .250 batting average and .784 OPS shouldn’t be uttered in the same breath as Major League Baseball’s best all-around player, understand that we have to deal in the “what might have been’s” when it comes to Bo. And while that doesn’t do anything for the argument supporting his skills, it should be a very real conversation after what he told USA Today:

“If I knew back then what I know now,” Jackson tells USA TODAY Sports, “I would have never played football. Never. I wish I had known about all of those head injuries, but no one knew that. And the people that did know that, they wouldn’t tell anybody.”>Jackson told the publication, “I would have never played football. Never. I wish I had known about all of those head injuries, but no one knew that. And the people that did know that, they wouldn’t tell anybody.

“The game has gotten so violent, so rough. We’re so much more educated on this CTE stuff (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), there’s no way I would ever allow my kids to play football today.

“Even though I love the sport, I’d smack them in the mouth if they said they wanted to play football.

“I’d tell them, ‘Play baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, just anything but football.'”

So what would have happened if Jackson never played football? For one, we know that he would have played baseball a lot longer since it was a football injury that ended his playing days. And secondly, the holes in his game (he had a big league high 172 strikeouts in his All-Star season of 1989) would most certainly have been tightened up.

Here’s something to chew on: Jackson had 141 home runs in his 2,626 plate appearances. In the same number of trips to the plate (getting him to Aug. 2, 2015), Trout totaled 130.

His baseball numbers are so far off from Cooperstown-worthy it’s hard to even bring up the argument that he might already be in the Hall of Fame if football never entered into the equation. But, considering the transcendent type of talent Jackson was, it’s worth at least a passing thought.

Bo always knew how to get us the edge of our seat, and, with one comment, today is no different.

Would Bo Jackson be in the Baseball Hall of Fame if he didn't play football?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Here’s reminder Yoan Moncada no longer plays for Red Sox

01.12.17 at 12:10 pm ET
By   |   Comments

We don’t have video of Chris Sale pitching in a Red Sox uniform quite yet, so the reality of seeing Yoan Moncada in a White Sox uniform might be tough to take. But, it’s time to face reality: the guy who was going to start his superstar status with the Red Sox in 2017 is now taking batting practice wearing White Sox garb.

The video was taken at the White Sox’ mini-camp in Arizona. It is uncertain if Moncada is going to break spring training with the big league club, with Chicago initially wanting to keep the Red Sox’ former top prospect at second base.

Talking with reporters (including MLB.com), Moncada revealed the change of organizations was a bit of shock.

“That was unexpected. I thought I would stay with [Boston] for a long time,” said Moncada, who has been joined by his parents, Manuel Moncada and Maria Caridad in the United States. “But that’s when you realize this is a business and I have the opportunity to play with this team now, and to be great for this team.”

Red Sox manager John Farrell on Hot Stove Show: No timetable on Eduardo Rodriguez

01.11.17 at 8:31 pm ET
By   |   Comments
John Farrell

John Farrell

Red Sox manager John Farrell joined the Hot Stove Show on Wednesday night and provided a number of Red Sox updates, including who might play in the World Baseball Classic, the physical status of Eduardo Rodriguez and Steven Wright, and his thoughts on who might start on Opening Day.

Here are some highlights.

— Red Sox starters Chris Sale and David Price have already said they won’t be pitching in the WBC. The Red Sox are allowed to keep Rodriguez out of the tournament following the minor knee injury he suffered in winter ball in his native Venezuela.

— Speaking of Rodriguez, he’s getting his visa sorted out and will be in Boston shortly to have a followup exam on his knee. An MRI in Venezuela was negative. Farrell didn’t want to put a timetable on his possible return. “He’s been able to do some light exercise,” Farrell said. “There’s no reason to think spring training is going to be delayed.” That said, Farrell acknowledged that Rodriguez’s history means the team will proceed cautiously with him.

— Wright, the knuckleballer, is throwing from 90 feet as he continues his return from a shoulder injury.

— Carson Smith has started a throwing program. He’ll be in Fort Myers on Feb. 1 to continue his program. He won’t be ready for the start of the season.

— President Dave Dombrowski recently told Buster Olney that Drew Pomeranz and Wright are penciled in to the last two spots in the rotation. That doesn’t mean there won’t be competition, however, because Farrell wants that culture to continue. E-Rod remains in the mix.

— Farrell is impressed with how the trimmer Sandoval has looked this winter, but he also knows that it will be about how he looks in spring training. He’s not ready to say there will be a platoon at third base, noting that Sandoval looked better hitting right-handed last year before his injury. “He’d be the first to admit he’s got a lot of ground to make up,” Farrell said of Sandoval’s overall outlook.

— Could Andrew Benintendi bat second? “It’s a possibility, no doubt,” Farrell said. Farrell likes the idea of breaking up four righties atop the order, and acknowledged that Benintendi could be a candidate for that spot, though nothing has been decided.

— Asked if Xander Bogaerts could hit down in the order, as he did in the playoffs last year, Farrell offered a reminder that Bogaerts was a tremendous hitter for much of last season. “In the first half of the season you wanted Bogey to the plate as many times as we could,” Farrell said. Farrell added that he wouldn’t commit to any lineup positions until talking to the players involved.

— With the potential of four left-handers in the rotation, Farrell was asked about Rick Porcello starting on Opening Day. He’s not ready to make that decision, though he did praise Porcello for all he accomplished last year.

TO LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW, CLICK HERE

Read More: eduardo rodriguez, John Farrell, Pablo Sandoval, Red Sox

Pablo Sandoval shows off trim physique, as well as quick hands, in Instagram boxing video

01.11.17 at 7:52 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Pablo Sandoval isn’t messing around this winter.

The presumed Red Sox starting third baseman has been posting Instagram videos all winter illustrating his progress as he returns from shoulder surgery. Overweight last year, he has looked trim this offseason, and his latest video is another example — boxing.

Judge the southpaw’s form for yourself.

Read More: boxing, Pablo Sandoval, Red Sox,

After performing well in Puerto Rico, Rusney Castillo might be re-entering conversation with Red Sox

01.11.17 at 1:46 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Rusney Castillo (Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

Rusney Castillo (Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

There isn’t much buzz around Rusney Castillo. That’s understandable.

Considering what the outfielder has done since signing his seven-year, $72.5 million deal with the Red Sox, expectations have diminished to next to nothing. Over parts of three seasons, Castillo’s contributions to the big league club have amounted to a .262 batting average and .679 OPS with seven home runs over 99 games.

So, with that in mind, even one of Castillo’s biggest supporters, Houston bench coach Alex Cora, is tempering expectations even after the righty hitter’s performance with Cora’s team (Caguas) in the Puerto Rico Winter League.

“I’ve been on this train before and I got burned the first time,” Cora said when appearing on the Bradfo Sho podcast. “A lot of people on Twitter remind me.” (To listen to the entire podcast, click here.)

But, according to Cora, there has been a change in Castillo.

The first thing he has noticed has been a different demeanor off the field, thanks in large part to the presence of the 29-year-old’s mother and child, who have arrived from Cuba.

“One thing about him, and I’m not going to get caught in all the hype and the numbers and all of that, his Mom is here, his kid is here, and there’s something different as far as off the field stuff,” Cora said.

There is also a slightly slimmed down body, which has, according to Cora, led to better baserunning and improved fielding. (He has primarily played left field with Caguas.)

But the biggest change has been Castillo’s approach at the plate. The league’s playoffs are currently unfolding (he scored a pair of runs in Caguas’ Tuesday night win). But prior to the postseason, Castillo managed a .392 batting average and .892 OPS in 14 games.

“There are a lot of balls he drives to right-center, especially against lefties, but against righties you see the red ‘C’ in between shortstop and third base, the roll over,” Cora said. “He has problems catching up to that pitch, but he doesn’t have problems with pitches outside that he can drive to right field.”

He added, “For me, he’s too passive. He understands the strike zone. It’s more like he sees the ball and he’s going to attack instead of thinking, ‘I’m hitting, hitting, hitting and then I’m going to take.’ I said, ‘You feel discipline enough?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, I’m discipline.’ ‘So get off the plate and this is winter ball and you see guys throw 87 and guys who throw 95, 96, so don’t go by the results. So, get off the plate and be disciplined enough on the inside part of the plate to take that pitch. You might be 2-0, 3-1, then they have to go outside and that’s your strength.’ So far, so good.”

The challenge for Castillo once spring training rolls around is to get back in the good graces of the Red Sox brass, having to enter camp not on the 40-man roster. But considering how thin the Sox may be in the outfield at the Triple-A level, with Junior Lake and Brian Bogusevic around on minor-league deals, and Bryce Brentz still in the mix, there might be some semblance of an opportunity.

TO LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE BRADFO SHO PODCAST WITH ALEX CORA, CLICK HERE

Cubs reportedly set to visit White House before Obama leaves office, avoiding Trump

01.11.17 at 9:49 am ET
By   |   Comments

You may have heard Donald Trump’s name in the news today. Apparently the Cubs want no part of that (bleep)-show.

According to Mary Ann Ahern of NBC, the Cubs will be honored at the White House on Monday, before President Obama leaves office. President Trump will be inaugurated on Friday, Jan. 20.

The Ricketts family, which owns the Cubs, has an up-and-down history with Trump. Todd Ricketts, who sits on the team’s board of directors, was recently named deputy secretary of commerce for the new administration. But Trump has also clashed with the family over political donations to groups dedicated to stopping him during the election, and he threatened to spill dirt on the family in a tweet from last February.

Cubs president Theo Epstein, the Brookline native and former Red Sox general manager, is a known supporter of Democratic causes. While it is often reported that he skipped the White House visit after the Red Sox won it all in 2004 and George Bush was president, he actually just chose not to appear on stage with the team, instead sitting in the audience. He did, however, skip the team’s second visit after winning in 2007, citing family reasons.

Obama is a Chicago native who grew up rooting for the White Sox.

Read More: cubs, Obama, Ricketts family, Theo Epstein

David Ortiz invoked in Jeff Sessions attorney general confirmation hearings

01.10.17 at 2:40 pm ET
By   |   Comments
David Ortiz

David Ortiz

David Ortiz may be retired, but he hasn’t been forgotten on the floor of the U.S. Senate.

Speaking at the confirmation hearings of Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, who has been nominated for attorney general by President-elect Donald Trump, Rhode Island Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse invoked Ortiz while questioning Sessions’ history of questionable racial positions.

“We have a vibrant Dominican community, who look at Big Papi, David Ortiz, swinging his bat for the Red Sox, and wonder why you said, ‘Almost no one coming from the Dominican Republic to the United States is coming here because they have a provable skill that would benefit us,'” said Whitehouse in reference to a 2006 speech that is available on Sessions’ official website.

In response to Whitehouse, Sessions explained that he was referring to the fact that most immigration is based on family connections, rather than proof of skills that could be useful in the U.S.

“The immigration flow from almost all of our countries, frankly, is based on family connection and other visas, rather than a skill-based program, more like Canada has today,” Session said. “And that’s all I intended to be saying there. . . . Please don’t see that as a diminishment or a criticism of the people of the Dominican Republic.”

Red Sox fans would certainly question Sessions’ opinions on the issue.

Read More: David Ortiz, Jeff Sessions, Senate confirmation hearings,

Mookie Betts ranks ahead of Bryce Harper as baseball’s best right fielder in ESPN poll of evaluators

01.10.17 at 11:13 am ET
By   |   Comments
Mookie Betts

Mookie Betts

A case can be made that Mookie Betts was the best all-around player in baseball last year. He’s certainly the game’s best right fielder.

That is the conclusion of ESPN’s Buster Olney in his latest positional roundup, conducted via a poll of industry evaluators, which places Betts ahead of even former NL MVP Bryce Harper among all right fielders in baseball.

Olney cites Betts’ emergence as a WAR monster (9.6) last year, when he hit 31 homers, stole 26 bases in 30 chances, won a Gold Glove with an astounding 32 runs saved, and stepped forward as one of the best young players in the game’s history.

If that sounds like hyperbole, consider this:

From Sarah Langs of ESPN Stats & Information: Betts had 9.6 WAR in 2016 in his age-23 season. The only Red Sox player with more WAR in an age-23 season or younger was Ted Williams, who had 10.6 in 1941 in his age-22 season and 10.6 in 1942 at age 23. The only position players overall with higher WAR in age-23 or younger seasons were Williams, Trout, Harper, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Cal Ripken and Rogers Hornsby.

Those are all Hall of Famers or future ones. Betts is off to one heck of a start.

Read More: bryce harper, mookie betts, Red Sox, washington nationals

David Ortiz launches Red Sox fans into frenzy by cryptically tweeting at Boston Globe

01.09.17 at 11:31 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Red Sox fans can’t quit David Ortiz. It’s understandable.

What makes far less sense is the frenzy Ortiz whipped them into on Monday night when he tweeted a blank message at the Boston Globe.

What did he mean to say? That he’s coming out of retirement to lead the Red Sox to one more World Series title? That he has decided to outlast Tom Brady? That he wants Isaiah Thomas to be an All-Star?

Or maybe it’s just that he never got his paper today.

We may never know, because despite over 600 retweets — as well as a response from the Globe reminding him, “You can tell us anything!” — Ortiz hasn’t clarified what he meant, if it was an accident, or what. Maybe he never will.

In any event, we breathlessly await an update.

p.s. He’s definitely staying retired. Let’s stop being a bunch of idiots.

Read More: Boston Globe, David Ortiz, Red Sox,

Red Sox sign player picked immediately after Jacoby Ellsbury in first-round of 2005 MLB draft

01.08.17 at 3:20 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Former first-round pick Brian Bogusevic has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Red Sox. (Steve Mitchell/USA Today Sports)

Former first-round pick Brian Bogusevic has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Red Sox. (Steve Mitchell/USA Today Sports)

You might not be very familiar with Brian Bogusevic, one of the newest players to agree to a minor-league deal with the Red Sox. But the players taken just before and after him in the first-round of the 2005 will ring a bell.

Back in 2005, Bogusevic was a left-handed pitcher out of Tulane University who was good enough to be taken with the 24th overall pick by the Houston Astros. (He ultimately switched to outfielder in 2008).

The pick before him? The Red Sox’ selection of Jacoby Ellsbury. The two picks after? Matt Garza went to the Twins before the Red Sox made their second selection of the draft, taking pitcher Craig Hansen. The Sox would go on to take Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden to round out their four-pick first-round.

Bogusevic would ultimately get his best chance in the major leagues in 2012 when he appeared in 146 games, primarily playing in right field for the Astros. Unfortunately for the outfielder, he wasn’t able to take advantage of the opportunity, hitting just .203 with a .596 OPS.

The lefty hitter went on to sign with Cubs for 2013, playing in 47 games. Chicago would deal him to the Marlins prior to the 2014 season in exchange for Justin Ruggiano.

His last major league experience came in 2015 with the Phillies, getting in 22 games. Last season Bogusevic played for the Orix Buffaloes in Japan, hitting just .183 in 193 plate appearances.

The 32-year-old figures to offer the Red Sox some much-needed outfield depth at the Triple-A level, with Bryce Brentz, Rusney Castillo and non-roster invitee Junior Lake joining Bogusevic in currently making up the likely PawSox’ outfield.

Bogusevic will participate in major league camp. The Red Sox are expected to announce a few more minor-league agreements in the coming week, with Lake, catchers Jake DePew and Dan Butler and former first-rounder, infielder Matt Dominguez, serving as the position payers already locked up.

Latest on Twitter
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify