|Boras sets up Varitek negotiations||11.04.08 at 4:20 pm ET|
Speaking to reporters at the General Manager’s Meetings in Dana Point, Calif., agent Scott Boras said the Jason Varitek deserved a contract comprable to Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who signed a four-year, $52.4 million deal last offseason. Boras cited the catchers’ similar age at the time of their free agency, along with the fact that the Red Sox have a 60 percent winning percentage when Varitek has started over the last five years. Boras also surmised that the Sox’ captain’s personal issues played a hand in his struggles over the 2008 season.
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wright's bounce-back start lifts Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart, Cecchini once again lead Salem
- Jalen Williams, Danny Bethea reportedly agree to terms
- Huntzinger, McCarthy earn promotions
- Bogaerts captivates audience in Triple-A debut
- Weekly Notes: Xandemonium peaks, draftees begin to sign
- Cup of Coffee: Bogaerts impresses as PawSox walk-off twice