|11.30.08 at 10:40 pm ET|
So we’re sitting down back in August, Tim Murphy and I, making a ‘wish list’ of contributors for our new venture. To be honest, the list wasn’t that long in my mind. Big names weren’t hard to identify, but finding big names who were going to deliver big things when it came to the written word on a consistent basis was another sort of task, entirely.
Before we could even put pen to paper to kick off the roll call, one name was thrown out.
For our purposes, the name made all the sense in the world. I made the argument that very, very, very few people could do what Curt could do, which was supply the kind of voice that was powerful enough to reverberate through the internet equally on both the local and national levels. He had already proven his ability to do so thanks to his blog, 38Pitches.com, and wasn’t about to lose the kind of passion that made his stuff — no matter the subject — a must-read.
So in the spirit of ‘you will never know unless you ask’, we asked. We weren’t alone. Our wish list wasn’t the only one with Curt placed at the forefront. National. Local. You name it. To Curt’s credit, he had built such a unique product in regards to his blog that a myriad of Web sites were standing in line hoping to invite 38 Pitches aboard.
Our hope was that Curt would see the same potential that brought us all to WEEI.com. Fortunately, he did.
This past week, in his 38 Studios office, Curt officially agreed to join our team. He will write columns and blogs every week, participate in video blogs, and schedule live, interactive in-game blogs during the season, while also appearing on the WEEI Radio Network each week, including an in-studio spot once a month.
You’ve already gotten a sample of what Curt can do over Thanksgiving thanks to his two-part series on the five-year anniversary of his courtship by the Red Sox. And this week he will be shipping along entries while on tour to support our troops in Kuwait.
As for whether or not part of Curt’s immediate blogging future will include documenting a return to the pitching mound, I can’t help you there. You’ll just have to log on every other minute to find out.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft