Red Sox Extension Discussions Proceed Slowly
|12.10.08 at 6:52 am ET|
According to industry sources, the Red Sox have had preliminary discussions with corner infielder Kevin Youkilis and his agent, Joe Bick, about a long-term deal. Yet initial conversations between the team and the player suggest that, while Youkilis is receptive to the idea of staying in Boston for the long-term, a healthy financial gap must still be bridged to reach a deal. The two sides plan to continue negotiations in hopes of finding common ground. Youkilis is eligible for salary arbitration in each of the next two years, and then becomes eligible for free agency after the 2010 season.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the Sox had not discussed a contract extension with the representatives for outfielder Jason Bay. Bay, who often talked of being invigorated after moving from perpetual cellar-dwellar Pittsburgh to Boston, is due to make $7.5 million in 2009, the final season of a four-year, $18.25 million contract. If not re-signed, he would be eligible for free agency after the 2009 season.
The Sox and second baseman Dustin Pedroia agreed to a six-year, $40.5 million deal (with an option for a seventh year) last week.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies