Red Sox Extension Discussions Proceed Slowly
|12.10.08 at 6:52 am ET|
According to industry sources, the Red Sox have had preliminary discussions with corner infielder Kevin Youkilis and his agent, Joe Bick, about a long-term deal. Yet initial conversations between the team and the player suggest that, while Youkilis is receptive to the idea of staying in Boston for the long-term, a healthy financial gap must still be bridged to reach a deal. The two sides plan to continue negotiations in hopes of finding common ground. Youkilis is eligible for salary arbitration in each of the next two years, and then becomes eligible for free agency after the 2010 season.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the Sox had not discussed a contract extension with the representatives for outfielder Jason Bay. Bay, who often talked of being invigorated after moving from perpetual cellar-dwellar Pittsburgh to Boston, is due to make $7.5 million in 2009, the final season of a four-year, $18.25 million contract. If not re-signed, he would be eligible for free agency after the 2009 season.
The Sox and second baseman Dustin Pedroia agreed to a six-year, $40.5 million deal (with an option for a seventh year) last week.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles