Report: Angels out of Teixeira hunt
|12.21.08 at 4:50 pm ET|
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Angels have pulled their offer to free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira. If true, then there would be three or potentially four remaining suitors for the 28-year-old: the Red Sox, who despite owner John Henry’s recent declaration that he believed the Sox would “not be a factor” in the bidding, have shown no evidence that they have pulled out of the process; the Nationals; the Orioles; and, perhaps, the Yankees, about whom there have been recent reports suggesting that the team is following the proceedings from afar to decide whether or not to get involved.
Kat O’Brien of Newsday reported today that the Yankees do not want to pay more than $160 million over eight years for Teixeira, but that they were told that agent Scott Boras told the club that it would cost roughly $20-25 million more to acquire him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando