Report: Angels out of Teixeira hunt
|12.21.08 at 4:50 pm ET|
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Angels have pulled their offer to free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira. If true, then there would be three or potentially four remaining suitors for the 28-year-old: the Red Sox, who despite owner John Henry’s recent declaration that he believed the Sox would “not be a factor” in the bidding, have shown no evidence that they have pulled out of the process; the Nationals; the Orioles; and, perhaps, the Yankees, about whom there have been recent reports suggesting that the team is following the proceedings from afar to decide whether or not to get involved.
Kat O’Brien of Newsday reported today that the Yankees do not want to pay more than $160 million over eight years for Teixeira, but that they were told that agent Scott Boras told the club that it would cost roughly $20-25 million more to acquire him.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome