Reports: Mark Teixeira a Yankee
|12.23.08 at 1:38 pm ET|
ESPN.com and SI.com are now reporting that the Yankees and Mark Teixeira have reached an agreement on an eight-year deal for $180 million. The Yankees reportedly had been monitoring the Teixeira negotiations from the sidelines, but swooped in on the switch-hitting first baseman after the Red Sox made an offer that was reportedly in the $170 million vicinity. The Yankees now have committed $423.5 million in contracts to Teixeira and pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett this winter.
Despite those allocations, the team’s 2009 payroll remains well below what it was in 2008. For more on the Yankees’ payroll, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles