Reports: Mark Teixeira a Yankee
|12.23.08 at 1:38 pm ET|
ESPN.com and SI.com are now reporting that the Yankees and Mark Teixeira have reached an agreement on an eight-year deal for $180 million. The Yankees reportedly had been monitoring the Teixeira negotiations from the sidelines, but swooped in on the switch-hitting first baseman after the Red Sox made an offer that was reportedly in the $170 million vicinity. The Yankees now have committed $423.5 million in contracts to Teixeira and pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett this winter.
Despite those allocations, the team’s 2009 payroll remains well below what it was in 2008. For more on the Yankees’ payroll, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler