Reports: Mark Teixeira a Yankee
|12.23.08 at 1:38 pm ET|
ESPN.com and SI.com are now reporting that the Yankees and Mark Teixeira have reached an agreement on an eight-year deal for $180 million. The Yankees reportedly had been monitoring the Teixeira negotiations from the sidelines, but swooped in on the switch-hitting first baseman after the Red Sox made an offer that was reportedly in the $170 million vicinity. The Yankees now have committed $423.5 million in contracts to Teixeira and pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett this winter.
Despite those allocations, the team’s 2009 payroll remains well below what it was in 2008. For more on the Yankees’ payroll, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Anderson Espinoza to Greenville, Logan Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals