Reports: Mark Teixeira a Yankee
|12.23.08 at 1:38 pm ET|
ESPN.com and SI.com are now reporting that the Yankees and Mark Teixeira have reached an agreement on an eight-year deal for $180 million. The Yankees reportedly had been monitoring the Teixeira negotiations from the sidelines, but swooped in on the switch-hitting first baseman after the Red Sox made an offer that was reportedly in the $170 million vicinity. The Yankees now have committed $423.5 million in contracts to Teixeira and pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett this winter.
Despite those allocations, the team’s 2009 payroll remains well below what it was in 2008. For more on the Yankees’ payroll, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster