The Yankees Still Have Money to Burn
|12.23.08 at 2:22 pm ET|
It has been a busy and expensive offseason for the New York Yankees. As they prepare to enter into a new ballpark–a move that will not only generate tens of millions of dollars in additional revenue, but that will also relieve the team of some of its revenue-sharing obligations–they clearly have money to spend, particularly since a number of players’ expensive contracts (Carl Pavano, Mike Mussina, Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, to name a few) are no longer on the payroll.
The Yankees have suggested that their 2009 payroll would not exceed the approximately $222 million (based on average annual value–an amount that led to a $26.9 million luxury tax penalty) that they spent on their 40-man roster this past season. In fact, even after dropping almost $425 million on contracts to free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira and pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, New York does not appear likely to surpass that standard.
As of now, based on reports that Teixeira will earn an annual average of $22.5 million per season over his eight-year, $180 million deal, the Yankees appear to have salary commitments of just over $190 million to 18 players (with the caveat that Kei Igawa and Andrew Brackman are not likely to be on the major-league roster) for 2009:
|M Teixeira||22||22.5||Estimated 2009|
|C M Wang||5||5|
|X Nady||5.5||5.5||Arbitration estimate|
|A Brackman||0.1||1.14||2009 estimate|
|B Bruney||1.2||1.2||Arbitration estimate|
|K Igawa||4||0||Not on 40-man roster|
(Note: all numbers are in millions)
All of that suggests that even with their three huge signings this offseason, the Yankees may *still* have available payroll with which to round out their roster than most clubs in baseball.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles