Penny confirms deal
|12.28.08 at 7:39 pm ET|
Brad Penny confirmed to WEEI.com that he has reached a preliminary agreement with the Red Sox on a one-year deal with a base salary of $5 million, which was first reported by FoxSports.com. The contract has the potential to reach a total of $8 million for the year with incentives.
“There were a lot of teams involved,” said Penny in a phone conversation, “but I wanted to go somewhere where I knew we had a great chance at winning and Boston is that place.”
Penny, who was shut down in September last season by the Dodgers with a sore shoulder after experiencing bouts of tendinitis throughout the 2008 season, will take a physical in Boston on Jan. 7, which is when the deal will become official if the examination goes off without a hitch. The 29-year-old right-hander said he will begin his throwing program next week.
Speaking of Beckett, the right-hander will begin his throwing program Monday. He had begun exercises on his throwing shoulder earlier this offseason than in years past.
The injury the hurler experienced throughout the end of the 2008 season involving his side has also subsided. Upon further examination it was determined that the ailment was centered more in the intercostal muscles (running between the ribs), and less an problem with his oblique, than previously thought. Because of the location of the intercostals, there wouldn’t have been much different the Red Sox’ medical team could have done to alleviate the pain he was incurring throughout the postseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates