Varitek, Sox agree to foundation of a deal
|01.30.09 at 3:23 pm ET|
According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Red Sox and Jason Varitek have agreed to the foundation of a deal which will pay the catcher a guaranteed $5 million for 2009, while allowing for a $5 million team option or a $3 million player option for 2010. Boston.com is also reporting that Varitek can earn up to $2 million in incentives in ’10. The deal is unofficial until Varitek has a physical next week.
SI.com was the first to report the preliminary agreement.
Much more later, but until then I give you two of our bloggers viewpoint on the matter, Gary from Chapel Hill and Curt Schilling, presenting the pros and cons of bringing the captain back.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller