Henry: Keeping sellout streak going won’t be easy…
|02.19.09 at 10:03 am ET|
Fort Myers, Fla. – Perhaps overlooked in the 20-minute session with reporters on Wednesday was a simple and honest answer given by Red Sox principal owner John Henry on the state of one of the truly remarkable streaks in all of sports.
Dating to May 15, 2003, the Red Sox have sold out their last 469 regular season home games, the longest streak in baseball history.
But Henry acknowledged that the economy could play a significant role this year as tickets remain for several games in April and May. So naturally, the question arose, will every game be sold out again this season?
“That’s a good question,” Henry said. “It’s going to be tested this year, no doubt about it. I think we have nine or 10 games in April and May that aren’t sold out yet. So, to keep this streak alive, it will not be easy.”
Then there’s the corporate support. Red Sox President/CEO Larry Lucchino said that the organization needs to be creative to maintain that key element of revenue to the team.
“It’s affected, to some degree, the level of corporate support of the team,” Lucchino said. “We are lucky that we have a very broad and deep fan base, and that includes the business community as well. But certainly there are greater challenges in enlisting support of our corporate partners going forward.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday