Henry: Keeping sellout streak going won’t be easy…
|02.19.09 at 10:03 am ET|
Fort Myers, Fla. – Perhaps overlooked in the 20-minute session with reporters on Wednesday was a simple and honest answer given by Red Sox principal owner John Henry on the state of one of the truly remarkable streaks in all of sports.
Dating to May 15, 2003, the Red Sox have sold out their last 469 regular season home games, the longest streak in baseball history.
But Henry acknowledged that the economy could play a significant role this year as tickets remain for several games in April and May. So naturally, the question arose, will every game be sold out again this season?
“That’s a good question,” Henry said. “It’s going to be tested this year, no doubt about it. I think we have nine or 10 games in April and May that aren’t sold out yet. So, to keep this streak alive, it will not be easy.”
Then there’s the corporate support. Red Sox President/CEO Larry Lucchino said that the organization needs to be creative to maintain that key element of revenue to the team.
“It’s affected, to some degree, the level of corporate support of the team,” Lucchino said. “We are lucky that we have a very broad and deep fan base, and that includes the business community as well. But certainly there are greater challenges in enlisting support of our corporate partners going forward.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller