Henry: Keeping sellout streak going won’t be easy…
|02.19.09 at 10:03 am ET|
Fort Myers, Fla. – Perhaps overlooked in the 20-minute session with reporters on Wednesday was a simple and honest answer given by Red Sox principal owner John Henry on the state of one of the truly remarkable streaks in all of sports.
Dating to May 15, 2003, the Red Sox have sold out their last 469 regular season home games, the longest streak in baseball history.
But Henry acknowledged that the economy could play a significant role this year as tickets remain for several games in April and May. So naturally, the question arose, will every game be sold out again this season?
“That’s a good question,” Henry said. “It’s going to be tested this year, no doubt about it. I think we have nine or 10 games in April and May that aren’t sold out yet. So, to keep this streak alive, it will not be easy.”
Then there’s the corporate support. Red Sox President/CEO Larry Lucchino said that the organization needs to be creative to maintain that key element of revenue to the team.
“It’s affected, to some degree, the level of corporate support of the team,” Lucchino said. “We are lucky that we have a very broad and deep fan base, and that includes the business community as well. But certainly there are greater challenges in enlisting support of our corporate partners going forward.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated