|Opting Out of the ‘Kotsay Competition’||03.04.09 at 11:10 am ET|
As discussed yesterday, there is currently a spirited open competition between Jeff Bailey, Chris Carter, Paul McAnulty and Brad Wilkerson for the role of the Red Sox’ fifth outfielder, a job that is vacant through at least the end of April as outfielder Mark Kotsay recovers from back surgery.
One additional item worth mentioning: both Bailey and Wilkerson have opt-out clauses should the Red Sox not purchase their contracts by specified dates. That being the case, here is a revised list of the contract status of all four players:
- Bailey can opt out of his contract and become a free agent if he has not been called up by July 15.
- Carter is a member of the 40-man roster, and so will remain under Red Sox control whether or not he is in the majors or in Triple-A.
- McAnulty does not have an out clause.
- Wilkerson has two outs: one on April 1, another on June 15.
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!