Dustin Pedroia, Blog entry No. 2
|03.10.09 at 12:31 am ET|
TORONTO — So this is how the game went during Monday’s workout: Each of us taking batting practice can’t hit a ball foul or it will cost five push-ups. Then if we hit a ball we think is going out you have to call it, but if it doesn’t go out then that will cost you five push-ups.
I end up hitting a couple of line-drives that hit the top of the fence that I thought were gone. So I did my push-ups … real push-ups. Derek Jeter? Well, he didn’t really go down all the way. I’m not a trainer or anything, but those weren’t push-ups.
But Derek is a great guy, one of a bunch of great guys on this team. He’s a guy who has a good personality and I really think he enjoys coming here each day and playing. Any guy like that you can joke around with because if you love playing baseball you have to keep it relaxed and keep an upbeat atmosphere. There are a lot of guys on this team like that. That’s what makes it fun. This World Baseball Classic is a tough tournament to play in, but if you stay relaxed it slows down and you can really enjoy it.
I didn’t really know how much I would be able to joke with Derek, but our lockers are right next to each other and it’s been great. I just started kidding around and saw what happened. It’s been fun. It’s been fun playing with all of these guys. I respect these guys so much. I’m just trying to pick their brains and see what I can use to put in my game.
As for myself, I’m just going to be who I am. My teammates in Boston love me for that and I’m not going to change because I’m playing on this team or any other team. I’m hoping the guys like me and like playing with me, but we’ve all got to just keep playing because winning is what it’s all about.
Another guy who gets it is David Wright. I love ripping on him. He’s got no chance, it’s great. We’ve been playing the card game ‘Pluck’. Oh my goodness, he has to clean it up.
I’ve met David a few times since we have the same agents. He just gets it. He is one of those guys who right after one day is done he is asking what time you want to go the next day. To start out a career like he has, it’s awesome. It’s been cool getting to know him, and getting to know all these guys … even if some of them can’t do push-ups.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston