Off to the next round
|03.13.09 at 8:41 am ET|
MIAMI — Well, we got back in the States yesterday about 4 p.m., flying from Toronto to Miami. I’m pretty wiped out but am looking forward to the next stage of things, which will kick off with a workout Friday and then an 8 0’clock match-up with Puerto Rico Saturday night.
The one thing that has surprised me is the schedule. I thought we would be playing a lot more, but we’ve had a ton of days off. This week we played Sunday, had workouts Monday and Tuesday, played Wednesday, and then had two more off days. It’s a challenge to keep your timing sharp.
I felt my timing was off a little bit in that game on Wednesday because it’s just different in terms of game speed and going through the workouts. I’ve just taken the approach that these off days are like early spring training days, taking a lot of ground balls and stuff like that. The reminder is that my main job is to get ready for the season for the Red Sox.
As far as this team, as I said before it’s a great group of guys and we’re all pulling together to try and win games right now. But, just like when you’re reminding yourself that getting your timing down is primarily for when you’re wearing a Boston Red Sox uniform, you also will have to face the fact that while we’re trying to win games right now, once this thing is over we’re enemies.
For the next few days, however, the reality of the real season can wait. We’re enjoying ourselves and every day I can honestly say I feel honored to be wearing this ‘USA’ uniform. Now we just have to keep it going.
Will be back at you after the game Saturday night …
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo