Off to the next round
|03.13.09 at 8:41 am ET|
MIAMI — Well, we got back in the States yesterday about 4 p.m., flying from Toronto to Miami. I’m pretty wiped out but am looking forward to the next stage of things, which will kick off with a workout Friday and then an 8 0’clock match-up with Puerto Rico Saturday night.
The one thing that has surprised me is the schedule. I thought we would be playing a lot more, but we’ve had a ton of days off. This week we played Sunday, had workouts Monday and Tuesday, played Wednesday, and then had two more off days. It’s a challenge to keep your timing sharp.
I felt my timing was off a little bit in that game on Wednesday because it’s just different in terms of game speed and going through the workouts. I’ve just taken the approach that these off days are like early spring training days, taking a lot of ground balls and stuff like that. The reminder is that my main job is to get ready for the season for the Red Sox.
As far as this team, as I said before it’s a great group of guys and we’re all pulling together to try and win games right now. But, just like when you’re reminding yourself that getting your timing down is primarily for when you’re wearing a Boston Red Sox uniform, you also will have to face the fact that while we’re trying to win games right now, once this thing is over we’re enemies.
For the next few days, however, the reality of the real season can wait. We’re enjoying ourselves and every day I can honestly say I feel honored to be wearing this ‘USA’ uniform. Now we just have to keep it going.
Will be back at you after the game Saturday night …
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington