Off to the next round
|03.13.09 at 8:41 am ET|
MIAMI — Well, we got back in the States yesterday about 4 p.m., flying from Toronto to Miami. I’m pretty wiped out but am looking forward to the next stage of things, which will kick off with a workout Friday and then an 8 0’clock match-up with Puerto Rico Saturday night.
The one thing that has surprised me is the schedule. I thought we would be playing a lot more, but we’ve had a ton of days off. This week we played Sunday, had workouts Monday and Tuesday, played Wednesday, and then had two more off days. It’s a challenge to keep your timing sharp.
I felt my timing was off a little bit in that game on Wednesday because it’s just different in terms of game speed and going through the workouts. I’ve just taken the approach that these off days are like early spring training days, taking a lot of ground balls and stuff like that. The reminder is that my main job is to get ready for the season for the Red Sox.
As far as this team, as I said before it’s a great group of guys and we’re all pulling together to try and win games right now. But, just like when you’re reminding yourself that getting your timing down is primarily for when you’re wearing a Boston Red Sox uniform, you also will have to face the fact that while we’re trying to win games right now, once this thing is over we’re enemies.
For the next few days, however, the reality of the real season can wait. We’re enjoying ourselves and every day I can honestly say I feel honored to be wearing this ‘USA’ uniform. Now we just have to keep it going.
Will be back at you after the game Saturday night …
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win