Wilkerson leaves team
|03.29.09 at 2:15 pm ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona confirmed to reporters this morning that outfielder Brad Wilkerson has left the Red Sox. He doesn’t figure to be in the major league team’s plans heading into the regular season.
Wilkerson, who had signed a minor-league deal, had an opt-out option in his deal that permitted him to leave the team up until April 1. Wilkerson was hitting just .119 in 42 at-bats, striking out 18 times. The competition for the spot to fill the back-up first baseman/fifth outfielder role — one that Mark Kotsay figures to be in line for upon returning from back surgery sometime in May — now figures to be coming down to Chris Carter and Jeff Bailey. The left-handed hitting Carter is hitting .350, while Bailey, a right-handed hitter, has totaled a .357 batting average. Both are considered no better than average defenders. Carter has options left, while Bailey is on a minor-league deal, so neither would be forced to clear waivers.
If he did make the team, Wilkerson would have received $275,000 for reaching each of the following roster thresholds: 60, 90, 120, and 150 days on the active major league roster. He would have also received an additional $200,000 for reaching 300, 350, 400, 450, and 500 plate appearances. The entirety of the package could have reached as much as $2.5 million.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis blasts three home runs for Salem
- Scouting Scratch: First Look at the Portland Bullpen