Daisuke throws at Disney
|03.30.09 at 9:28 am ET|
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — The Red Sox came up four hours or so north from Fort Myers to Champion Stadium, home of the Atlanta Braves and on the premises of Disney World. Good times.
The Sox aren’t holding back when it comes to the traveling team, with the lineup as follows: Rocco Baldelli DH, Dustin Pedroia 2B, Jason Bay LF, Kevin Youkilis 1B, Mike Lowell 3B, Nick Green SS, Chip Ambres CF, Dusty Brown C, and Che-Hsuan Lin RF. They will be going up against Braves ‘rookie’ Kenshin Kawakami, who has had a solid spring, giving up just three runs in four starts.
Besides Daisuke Matsuzaka making his first start of the spring, Lin’s presence might be the most interesting.
The 20-year-old from Chinese Taipei is widely considered one of the best defensive outfielders in the Red Sox system, and made somewhat of a mark last All-Star break when he went deep in the Futures Game at Yankee Stadium. He also played for Chinese Taipei in the World Baseball Classic, going 3 for 7 with two walks while hitting third. He also participated in the Olympics the year before.
Standing 6-feet, 200 pounds Lin signed out of Taiwan for $400,000 and played at both Single A Lowell and for the Gulf Coast Red Sox last season.
The players’ bus hasn’t arrived yet, although manager Terry Francona and pitching coach John Farrell are on the premises after coming up from their game in Clearwater and staying in the Orlando area last night. Be back with more Daisuke-palooza later.
While you’re waiting soak in a whole lot of Matsuzaka stuff courtesy Nuggetpalooza.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep