Meet Tex, Wang problems… Yankee pregame
|04.24.09 at 6:21 pm ET|
Joe Girardi admits there concern about Chien-Ming Wang.
Wang was seen Thursday by soft-tissue expert Dr. Mark Lindsay, the same doctor who has seen Alex Rodriguez.
‘We had him take a look at Chien,’ Girardi said. ‘There’s some concern of ours because the velocity has been down a little bit and that’s not totally abnormal in the month of April. Maybe his foot injury, there’s a weakness somewhere in his lower half.
‘There’s some concern that he’s not as strong as needs to be,’ Girardi said.
‘It’s what we’re seeing,” Girardi added. “A lot of times, when you have a weakness, it can build over a long period of time and you don’t notice it. But if you were to go from June, before he got hurt, to now in one step you might notice it. So, that’s why we wanted to have him evaluated by Dr. Lindsay.’
Wang is scheduled to start next on Tuesday. If he doesn’t Philip Hughes is a likely callup to replace him.
Mark Teixeira on returning to Fenway, this time as a Yankee: ‘It’s not a joke, it’s passionate fans. These people in Boston are great baseball fans. They know the game, they’re knowledgeable, they love the Red Sox, they live and die with every pitch. And when a Yankee comes to town, especially a Yankee that could’ve been a Red Sox, they’re going to boo. They’re going to be into the game.’
‘I was close (to signing) with all the teams. Every team that I dealt with in free agency had an opportunity. We gave everyone an opportunity. So I was close with everybody.’
What he expects: ‘Lots of boos. Loud, hopefully a good game and hopefully the fans get their moneys-worth tonight.’
‘This is probably the best rivalry in sports. My dad’s a Navy man so Army-Navy kind of up there for national pride. But when you talk about professional sports, I think Lakers-Celtics are up there and Red Sox-Yankees are one of the best.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest