Meet Tex, Wang problems… Yankee pregame
|04.24.09 at 6:21 pm ET|
Joe Girardi admits there concern about Chien-Ming Wang.
Wang was seen Thursday by soft-tissue expert Dr. Mark Lindsay, the same doctor who has seen Alex Rodriguez.
‘We had him take a look at Chien,’ Girardi said. ‘There’s some concern of ours because the velocity has been down a little bit and that’s not totally abnormal in the month of April. Maybe his foot injury, there’s a weakness somewhere in his lower half.
‘There’s some concern that he’s not as strong as needs to be,’ Girardi said.
‘It’s what we’re seeing,” Girardi added. “A lot of times, when you have a weakness, it can build over a long period of time and you don’t notice it. But if you were to go from June, before he got hurt, to now in one step you might notice it. So, that’s why we wanted to have him evaluated by Dr. Lindsay.’
Wang is scheduled to start next on Tuesday. If he doesn’t Philip Hughes is a likely callup to replace him.
Mark Teixeira on returning to Fenway, this time as a Yankee: ‘It’s not a joke, it’s passionate fans. These people in Boston are great baseball fans. They know the game, they’re knowledgeable, they love the Red Sox, they live and die with every pitch. And when a Yankee comes to town, especially a Yankee that could’ve been a Red Sox, they’re going to boo. They’re going to be into the game.’
‘I was close (to signing) with all the teams. Every team that I dealt with in free agency had an opportunity. We gave everyone an opportunity. So I was close with everybody.’
What he expects: ‘Lots of boos. Loud, hopefully a good game and hopefully the fans get their moneys-worth tonight.’
‘This is probably the best rivalry in sports. My dad’s a Navy man so Army-Navy kind of up there for national pride. But when you talk about professional sports, I think Lakers-Celtics are up there and Red Sox-Yankees are one of the best.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Javier Guerra, Michael Chavis, Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox capture second straight league title
- Anderson Espinoza to Greenville, Logan Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals