Francona on Ortiz: ‘He is Coming’
|04.29.09 at 1:01 pm ET|
In his weekly interview on the Dale and Holley show, Red Sox manager Terry Francona addressed topics such as David Ortiz‘s slow start, minor injuries to J.D. Drew and Kevin Youkilis, and Jacoby Ellsbury‘s steal of home on Sunday night.
Here are some highlights (transcription provided by Jared Shafran):
Q: Does Ortiz have to reinvent himself? Are the old days gone for him?
A: I think his bat speed has been better in the last week. His balance has been a little off but he has been hitting some really good balls to left field. Those show, to me, that he is coming. He is working his way into feeling good about himself. He is working hard and we do see a lot of improvement.
(Regarding Ellsbury’s steal of home Sunday night) Q: Did you have an issue with taking that chance with 2 outs the way he did?
A: ‘No issue. We know Andy is slow to the plate but those opportunities happen once or twice a year and you either seize it or don’t. Berroa happened to be playing deep enough where it became a possibility, Andy didn’t look over, Jacoby took off and it worked. It was like the perfect storm.
Q: Was it a situation where if one thing was different then it doesn’t happen?
A: There’s a lot of ways that it could’ve been avoided. Their dugout was yelling but no one heard them. You don’t want to do it in the middle of an inning so it’s a great play when it works, its obviously an exciting play. I’m sure people will be talking about it. I’m just glad he was safe. ‘¦ You could feel the electricity in the stadium and then we followed it up with a hit. We’ll take runs any way we can.
Q: Any lineup changes for tonight’s game?
A: ‘JD’s quad got tight as the game went on so we are keeping an eye on him. Youk got hit in the exact same spot twice now so he is a little sore. There’s a possibility that both of them wont be in the lineup. If we need to play Van Every in right and Bailey at first then we will.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot