Francona on Ortiz: ‘He is Coming’
|04.29.09 at 1:01 pm ET|
In his weekly interview on the Dale and Holley show, Red Sox manager Terry Francona addressed topics such as David Ortiz‘s slow start, minor injuries to J.D. Drew and Kevin Youkilis, and Jacoby Ellsbury‘s steal of home on Sunday night.
Here are some highlights (transcription provided by Jared Shafran):
Q: Does Ortiz have to reinvent himself? Are the old days gone for him?
A: I think his bat speed has been better in the last week. His balance has been a little off but he has been hitting some really good balls to left field. Those show, to me, that he is coming. He is working his way into feeling good about himself. He is working hard and we do see a lot of improvement.
(Regarding Ellsbury’s steal of home Sunday night) Q: Did you have an issue with taking that chance with 2 outs the way he did?
A: ‘No issue. We know Andy is slow to the plate but those opportunities happen once or twice a year and you either seize it or don’t. Berroa happened to be playing deep enough where it became a possibility, Andy didn’t look over, Jacoby took off and it worked. It was like the perfect storm.
Q: Was it a situation where if one thing was different then it doesn’t happen?
A: There’s a lot of ways that it could’ve been avoided. Their dugout was yelling but no one heard them. You don’t want to do it in the middle of an inning so it’s a great play when it works, its obviously an exciting play. I’m sure people will be talking about it. I’m just glad he was safe. ‘¦ You could feel the electricity in the stadium and then we followed it up with a hit. We’ll take runs any way we can.
Q: Any lineup changes for tonight’s game?
A: ‘JD’s quad got tight as the game went on so we are keeping an eye on him. Youk got hit in the exact same spot twice now so he is a little sore. There’s a possibility that both of them wont be in the lineup. If we need to play Van Every in right and Bailey at first then we will.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester