Smoltz slowed by a week
|04.29.09 at 7:15 pm ET|
Right-handed pitcher John Smoltz has had his rehab course backed off by a week, Red Sox manager Terry Francona told Joe Castiglione on the Red Sox Pre-Game Radio Show. Smoltz had been scheduled to throw live batting practice on Thursday as part of his progression to pitching in rehab games. However, the Sox have decided to delay that process slightly to allow the pitcher to continue to build arm strength.
“We’ve actually been going back and forth with Smoltzie. We’ve actually slowed it down about a week,” Francona said. “I don’t want to say it was built in, but I don’t think this was unrealistic to think that was going to happen.”
Smoltz’ status, of course, has become all the more intriguing given that starter Brad Penny has had a couple of poor starts…
Francona also said that Daisuke Matsuzaka threw a 45-pitch side session prior to Wednesday’s game, and is scheduled to throw another on Saturday. … Mark Kotsay continues to work out at Fenway Park, and Francona expects that he might commence a rehab assignment on Friday.
To listen to the complete interview, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.