|Farrell on Chamberlain hitting Bay: ‘Those things aren’t forgotten’||05.06.09 at 12:24 pm ET|
Speaking on the Dale & Holley Show, Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell insinuated that the Sox were suspicious of the motivations of Yankees starter Joba Chamberlain when he hit Jason Bay in the fifth inning of the Red Sox’ win Tuesday night.
“Typically, we let the game play out itself because I think our guys have each others backs and they are certainly going to be supportive if a situation like that were to arise,” Farrell said. “Speaking specifically about last night, he strikes out 12 guys, doesn’t seem to have too many command issues, and if there was a purpose or intent to throw up and in you can disguise it a little bit more than making it very obvious with the first pitch in the middle of the back to Jason Bay. Those things aren’t forgotten. We know there is a history there between the pitcher in New York and our guys here and not to say that he was specifically out to do that but I think history speaks for itself and we’ve got a number of games left with these guys.”
Farrell touched on some other issues during his appearance on Dale and Holley:
“Given the conditions, anytime you come away with a couple wins you don’t mind the weather at all. So far so good against New York.”
“We dodged quite a bit of rain over the last two days. Fortunatly we continuted to throw strikes and not allow too many base runners because in those conditions, some crazy things can happen when you start to put people on base.”
Q: What has Beckett’s issue been this year?
A: There’s been fastballs that have been elevated but when he’s down in the bottom of the strike zone,
Q: Is that a mechanical issue?
A: At times it can be, usually what happens is that the elbows drop a bit and the flatness comes from.
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!