Francona after Sox’ win over Jays
|05.31.09 at 5:59 pm ET|
‘It started with Lester. He was powerful. Shoot, the three hits were two bouncers to short and the ball to mikey Lowell that would have been a great play at third. He threw strikes, he missed bats. They fouled off a lot of pitches ,drove his pitch count up. He was good. He used all his pitches and there was power behind them.’
Improve confidence from Lester: ‘Trying to always move forward. It should. He pitched great. It’s a lot easier to walk away and field good about yourself when you have something to show for it. I understand that.’
‘We scored early and then we added on and that’s always a good way. We spread it out. It’s a good way to play. We haven’t done that very much lately but it was a very good day today.’
On first sacrifice bunt of the season for Sox: ‘It was a good bunt. Sometimes the game dictates getting a bunt down.’
‘We kept plugging away and it ended up being a really good day.’
‘The one thing I’m supposed to be is consistent and that goes against that. Again, we set out our lineup and then I think you let guys play and see how it goes. We’re getting to the point where we’re 50 games into the season and I think the numbers start meaning something. It’s not just a week or two. We need to have our on-base guys for the guys in the middle of the order. It’s important. When everybody is hitting on all cylinders, that can maybe not be noticed. But when we’re not, it becomes a little more noticeable.’
‘I’ve got to look at Detroit. We’ll see. I don’t think he cares one way or the other. I actually did like our lineup today, but again, that’s probably because we’re hitting.’
‘He hit 17 last year. It’s in him. I think when his groin was bothering him, I think it was hard for him to do that. He find ways to still be a good player. it was easier for him for a time period there to just use the whole field and not take those swings. In Today’s game, that was huge.’
‘His stuff today was ‘ that’s as good as we’ve seen. He had power behind his fastball. He had the cutter working. Curveball, changeup. That was fun to watch. It was more fun when we spread it out.’
‘I think he went through a period where it was hard for him to take those swings. He came off of that back foot and it hurt. I think that’s probably more than anything.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller