HR Derby not for Bay
|05.31.09 at 1:30 pm ET|
Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay, who enters Sunday third in the American League in home runs with 14, said that if asked he will not participate in the State Farm Home Run Derby during All-Star Weekend. MLB had announced that Bay was leading all AL outfielders in voting, last week.
The Sox’ left fielder has participated in the event one other time, in 2005 in Detroit, ending up with zero home runs. When asked the following year to participate in his then-home ballpark in Pittsburgh, Bay declined.
“I vowed to never to do it again. Plus, if you ever have seen my BP you could see it’s not my thing,” Bay said. “I’ll never do it again because it didn’t allow me to enjoy my time at the All-Star Game. When I was done it was the best feeling in the world because it was over with. It took away from my enjoyment of the whole thing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller