MLB Draft Updates – First 10 Picks
|06.09.09 at 6:49 pm ET|
Jason McLeod, the Red Sox director of amateur scouting, popped through the Red Sox clubhouse prior to today’s game, accompanied by John Booher. (Booher, who now covers Texas and Louisiana, was the area scout who was chiefly responsible for following 2005 first-round pick Jacoby Ellsbury and 2007 top selection Nick Hagadone, who just returned to the mound this weekend following Tommy John surgery. Ellsbury and Booher briefly exchanged pleasantries in the clubhouse.) McLeod said that the Sox still have no idea who they will be taking with the 28th pick of the draft, since the Sox are in a position where they are at the mercy of the direction of 27 other clubs.
Stephen Strasburg went No. 1 overall to absolutely no one’s surprise.
The Red Sox have had a couple of kids come into Fenway Park for workouts in the last couple of days (including high school catcher Max Stassi). Manager Terry Francona said that he’s run into a couple of them, including one slightly awkward encounter in the manager’s office earlier today.
“One of the young kids saw me in my underwear today,” said Francona, who was coming out of a SwimEx machine. “I don’t imagine he’ll be signing with us. I don’t think he’s dying to be a Red Sox.”
The Tigers selected right-handed pitcher Jacob Turner with the ninth overall pick. Some mock drafts had suggested that the Sox would happily pounce on Turner if he fell due to signability concerns, but the Tigers — a team that spends aggressively in the draft — prevented that outcome from taking place. Turner is a Scott Boras client.
Of the top 10 picks this year, four were college pitchers, three were high-school pitchers, two were college position players (one catcher — Sanchez — and one outfielder — Ackley) and one was a high school outfielder (Donovan Tate).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade