Penny fires back at Girardi
|06.14.09 at 1:49 am ET|
“Why is he bringing it up a day later? Why not talk about it Thursday?” Penny said. “The game’s over with. I think he’s just frustrated. They have a good team and a good lineup. It’s not like this (season’s) over. It’s far from over.”
Regarding the pitch that hit A-Rod, Penny responded, “I don’t care what [Giardi] thinks. I didn’t hit him intentionally. I’m just pitching. We don’t go back and say they hit us intentionally. We’ve got games to worry about, not that (stuff). I don’t give a (care) what he says. He needs to worry about managing and let the league and the umpires take care of their job and he an take care of his.”
The Sox starter said, unlike the Yankees, the Red Sox haven’t filed complaints to the league when similar situations have come up involving their hitters. “And they called the commissioner’s office. Come on. Let’s play baseball. What’s over’s over. It wasn’t intentional. Let’s move forward.”
Sunday, Girardi responded one more time.
‘He’s got to do what he thinks is right and I’m OK with that,’ Girardi told reporters before hit team’s game against the Mets. ‘It’s not like I blasted Brad Penny – I just said I thought he hit Alex Rodriguez on purpose. I wasn’t 100 percent sure and only Brad Penny knows.
‘I shared a feeling that I had and didn’t mean to stir anything up. I just said what I thought.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas