Buchholz: I never requested a trade
|06.17.09 at 11:10 pm ET|
The future of Clay Buchholz has been a hot topic the past couple of days because a recent New England Cable News interview with the pitcher left some wondering if Buchholz wants out.
‘I’ve had talks with my agent the last month and a half, two months,’ Buchholz told NECN. ‘There’s nowhere to go.’
On Wednesday, however, Buchholz waited until the cameras were off before elaborating on what exactly those talks were.
‘It wasn’t anything specific about me calling [my agent] and telling him, ‘Hey, get me out of here,’” said Buchholz. ‘It was just more or less asking him, ‘Hey what’s going on? What can I do to change the situation?’ and his answer was, ‘Really nothing because there’s not really anywhere to go.’
‘My goal is to pitch in Boston,’ Buchholz added. ‘[The media] might have went a little out of context with it because I’m getting a little frustrated, but on the up and up that’s where I want to be. Fenway is the best place to pitch and the Red Sox are the best team to play for. I don’t see me being anywhere else except for Boston, so that’s where I want to be.’
The proclamation may sound like backtracking, but it came as a genuine admission from a kid who doesn’t want to get traded. After laughing at the notion that he was trying to ‘talk his way out of town,’ Buchholz said that he’s been assured he’s safe by the Boston brass.
‘If I do happen to get traded it’s going to be for the betterment of Boston,’ said Buchholz. ‘If that’s what they’ve got to do, then that’s what they’ve got to do, but I’ve been told by a couple of people that are high up in the front office that I’m here and I don’t see myself going anywhere in the future unless it’s for somebody that they really think can help the team.’
Buchholz apologized for any ruckus that the interview caused, and showed the same enthusiasm towards his eventual return to the big leagues that he did in spring training.
‘That was a little bitterness coming out of me, but I can’t be too bitter,’ said Buchholz. ‘I’m still pitching healthy and I’ll get my shot sooner or later.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates