Francona: Not so fast on six-man rotation
|06.18.09 at 9:29 pm ET|
With the rains falling before Thursday afternoon, presenting the chance of a rainout and another day off for the starting rotation, Red Sox manager Terry Francona was asked about the status of six-man rotation as John Smoltz looks forward to his return next Thursday at Washington.
‘This six-man rotation is getting little bit of a life of its own,” Francona said. “We haven’t quite got there yet. Smoltz just got done yesterday. We’ll make decisions in the best interests of our team.’
Speaking of Smoltz, Francona said all signs were positive from his final Triple-A rehab start Wednesday in Pawtucket.
‘He came in today and said he physically felt really good,” Francona said. “In the bullpen, he threw two simulated innings before he went out. Then he got into the game and he had a real tough time gripping the ball. I think he almost gave up on having command of his off-speed pitches. He kept throwing it. But he knew it was just a battle but physically he felt great. We just told him to take the next seven days with John Farrell and I told him to do whatever’s in your best interest to get ready for Thursday and that’s what he’s going to do.’
And on Jed Lowrie’s wrist rehab:
‘Good. Four at-bats. Two from each side. Not the official at-bat but a phone call from him. He’ll go tomorrow and try to get six at-bats. And I think the biggest thing he’s seeing, which is why we’re doing it like this, is just rust. He feels like he hasn’t played for a while, which he hasn’t. His wrist is doing great. He just feels like he hasn’t played in two months, which is exactly what’s happened.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two