Jones, Cox not-so chipper about umpiring
|06.21.09 at 7:14 pm ET|
Atlanta manager Bobby Cox and third baseman Chipper Jones were both ejected along with reliever Eric O’Flaherty for questioning a non-strike three call to J.D. Drew in the seventh inning of Boston’s 6-5 win over the Braves.
Drew singled in a run on the next pitch.
Afterward, Jones ripped home plate ump Bill Hohn, who ejected all three. “I don’t know why umpires have to be confrontational,” Jones said.”When he goes back and looks at the replay of the pitch, hopefully he can admit he missed the call.”
Jones stepped in to try and protect O’Flaherty, who was being relieved by Cox when he asked about the pitch to Drew.
“I know this, I hope Major League Baseball take a close look at how this game was officiated today. And it wasn’t just aimed at us. I saw a ton of Red Sox with some puzzled looks on their faces, too. We’ve got to do a little better than that,” Jones said.
Cox had this to say about the non-strike three call on Drew.
“It was a ball that was right down the middle for strike three,” Cox said. “It was obvious. He blew the call and it upsets guys when it costs you games and it costs us the ballgame.”
Cox said he understood Jones’ frustration.
“He was on the short-end of a couple of calls at home plate,” Cox said. “You get one right down the middle and you don’t get it called, it kind of irritates the heck out of you.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Portland mashes, Johnson headlines strong night of pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers