Jones, Cox not-so chipper about umpiring
|06.21.09 at 7:14 pm ET|
Atlanta manager Bobby Cox and third baseman Chipper Jones were both ejected along with reliever Eric O’Flaherty for questioning a non-strike three call to J.D. Drew in the seventh inning of Boston’s 6-5 win over the Braves.
Drew singled in a run on the next pitch.
Afterward, Jones ripped home plate ump Bill Hohn, who ejected all three. “I don’t know why umpires have to be confrontational,” Jones said.”When he goes back and looks at the replay of the pitch, hopefully he can admit he missed the call.”
Jones stepped in to try and protect O’Flaherty, who was being relieved by Cox when he asked about the pitch to Drew.
“I know this, I hope Major League Baseball take a close look at how this game was officiated today. And it wasn’t just aimed at us. I saw a ton of Red Sox with some puzzled looks on their faces, too. We’ve got to do a little better than that,” Jones said.
Cox had this to say about the non-strike three call on Drew.
“It was a ball that was right down the middle for strike three,” Cox said. “It was obvious. He blew the call and it upsets guys when it costs you games and it costs us the ballgame.”
Cox said he understood Jones’ frustration.
“He was on the short-end of a couple of calls at home plate,” Cox said. “You get one right down the middle and you don’t get it called, it kind of irritates the heck out of you.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome