UPDATED: Red Sox sign second-round pick Wilson, 10 other draftees
|06.22.09 at 2:04 pm ET|
Red Sox second-round draft pick Alex Wilson is set to sign today for a bonus of approximately $475,000. The right-handed pitcher, who was moved from the rotation to relief with Texas A&M this year, will begin his career with Single-A Lowell of the New York-Penn League. Wilson features a power fastball in the low- to mid-90s, which he complements with a hard curve and changeup. He was taken by the Cubs in the 10th round in 2008 (coming off of Tommy John surgery), and turned down a bonus of approximately $600,000.
The Sox have also signed fifth-round pick Seth Schwindenhammer out of Limestone High School in Illinois (which counts Jim Thome among its alumni) for $140,000.
Despite reports that the Sox had agreed to terms with 10th-round pick Brandon Jacobs — a 5-foot-10, 240-pound tank of an outfielder with significant power potential but who has a scholarship commitment to play football at Auburn — those reports were erroneous. There is no agreement between the Sox and Jacobs, though the team will follow him while he plays in a wood-bat league this summer to determine whether it is worth signing him to a bonus that would exceed his slot value significantly.
Other picks whose signings were announced:
Willie Holmes (14th round) – outfielder, Chaffey College
Mike Bugary (15th round) – right-handed pitcher, University of California-Berkeley
Tom Ebert (19th round) – right-handed pitcher, Florida International University
Jordan Flasher (22nd round) – right-handed pitcher, George Mason University
Chris Court (23rd round) – right-handed pitcher, Stephen F. Austin University
Jeremiah Bayer (30th round) – right-handed pitcher, Trinity College
Kyle Rutter (41st round) – right-handed pitcher, North Carolina State University
Jordan Sallis (47th round) – second baseman, University of Arkansas – Fort Smith
Drew Hedman (50th round) – first baseman, Pomona-Pitzer, $1,000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville