UPDATED: Red Sox sign second-round pick Wilson, 10 other draftees
|06.22.09 at 2:04 pm ET|
Red Sox second-round draft pick Alex Wilson is set to sign today for a bonus of approximately $475,000. The right-handed pitcher, who was moved from the rotation to relief with Texas A&M this year, will begin his career with Single-A Lowell of the New York-Penn League. Wilson features a power fastball in the low- to mid-90s, which he complements with a hard curve and changeup. He was taken by the Cubs in the 10th round in 2008 (coming off of Tommy John surgery), and turned down a bonus of approximately $600,000.
The Sox have also signed fifth-round pick Seth Schwindenhammer out of Limestone High School in Illinois (which counts Jim Thome among its alumni) for $140,000.
Despite reports that the Sox had agreed to terms with 10th-round pick Brandon Jacobs — a 5-foot-10, 240-pound tank of an outfielder with significant power potential but who has a scholarship commitment to play football at Auburn — those reports were erroneous. There is no agreement between the Sox and Jacobs, though the team will follow him while he plays in a wood-bat league this summer to determine whether it is worth signing him to a bonus that would exceed his slot value significantly.
Other picks whose signings were announced:
Willie Holmes (14th round) – outfielder, Chaffey College
Mike Bugary (15th round) – right-handed pitcher, University of California-Berkeley
Tom Ebert (19th round) – right-handed pitcher, Florida International University
Jordan Flasher (22nd round) – right-handed pitcher, George Mason University
Chris Court (23rd round) – right-handed pitcher, Stephen F. Austin University
Jeremiah Bayer (30th round) – right-handed pitcher, Trinity College
Kyle Rutter (41st round) – right-handed pitcher, North Carolina State University
Jordan Sallis (47th round) – second baseman, University of Arkansas – Fort Smith
Drew Hedman (50th round) – first baseman, Pomona-Pitzer, $1,000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system