Lowell: Shot went well
|06.29.09 at 3:16 pm ET|
Red Sox third baseman Mike Lowell reported that the shot of Synvisc administered to his surgically repaired right hip on Monday morning in Boston went well. The doctors discovered more fluid in the area than originally anticipated, which explained his recent discomfort.
“I guess the main thing was that they weren’t really expecting to find fluid in there, but they ended up finding a significant amount of fluid so I think that’s a good thing,” Lowell said. “They took the bad stuff out and put the good stuff in. I’m a little bruised from the injection itself but I do feel I have a lot more mobility. I think I’ll be able to tell more tomorrow when I get stretched out and stuff.
“At least for me mentally, it’s a comforting feeling, that there was fluid in there and they took it out. It explains why there was discomfort. It makes a lot more sense to me. You can bank on the fact that everything structurally is fine and your body is trying to protect itself when it’s in a vulnerable state. If there wasn’t fluid I would say, ‘What’s causing it?’ I’m happy they found it. But I think the next few days will be big.”
It is unlikely Lowell will join the team in Baltimore for the remainder of the Red Sox’ three-game series, instead staying behind to work with physical therapist Scott Waugh. The third baseman suggests that Thursday should be the deciding day as to whether he can re-enter the lineup Friday, or whether he might have to land on the 15-day disabled list. (Lowell, whose only action this weekend came when he entered Saturday’s game as a pinch-hitter, has played in just three of the Sox’ last eight games.)
“If I don’t have a big improvement in mobility and flexibility and all of that I have to believe their going to think of something DL-wise, but if I feel really good I might play Friday,” he said. “So Thursday is the day we chart what’s going on.
“I kind of felt like I had a little more space to move around with, but that’s just walking. I just have a little bit of an ache because of the needle that went in that area. I think after that wears off, probably by tomorrow morning, I’ll know, and I’ll know for sure once I stretch with Scotty.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela