Red Sox Place Mike Lowell on 15-Day Disabled List
|06.30.09 at 3:23 pm ET|
The Boston Red Sox today placed third baseman Mike Lowell on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 28) with a right hip strain and recalled first baseman/outfielder Jeff Bailey from Triple-A Pawtucket. Bailey is wearing No. 55 and is active for tonight’s game against the Orioles.
The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Theo Epstein.
Lowell, 35, is hitting .282 (75-for-266) with 18 doubles, one triple, 10 home runs, 41 RBI and 30 runs scored in 68 games for Boston this season. The right-handed hitter has made starts in just two of the Red Sox’ last nine games and returned to Boston following Sunday’s game in Atlanta. On Monday, Lowell received an injection of Synvisc in his right hip. The third baseman underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip during the offseason.
For Bailey, 30, it is his second stint with the Major League club this season. The right-handed hitter was originally selected to the active roster on April 22 and went 13-for-69 (.188) with three doubles, one triple, three home runs, nine RBI and 10 runs scored in 23 games before being optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket on May 31. In 36 games with the PawSox this season, Bailey is batting .259 (36-for-139) with 13 RBI and seven home runs, tied for the second-most on the club. He has hit safely in each of his last nine games beginning June 20, going 12-for-34 (.353) in that time.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th