Price Comments on Trade to Cleveland Organization
|07.31.09 at 4:56 pm ET|
Wilmington, DE (July 31, 2009) ‘ Bryan Price, Boston’s 45th overall selection in the 2008 Draft and current righthander for the Salem Red Sox, was packaged with Justin Masterson and Nick Hagadone in a trade for the Cleveland Indians catcher/first-baseman Victor Martinez on Thursday afternoon.
Shortly after learning about the deal, Price spoke to Red Sox radio broadcaster Evan Lepler about his initial reaction to the move.
Evan Lepler: You were on the bus with the team and then you were called off the bus to talk on the phone. What did you think when you were called off the bus and whom did you speak to on the phone?
Bryan Price: I didn’t really know what to expect or what it was about. I talked to Eppy [Salem manager Chad Epperson] and he gave me the news. Getting traded for a big leaguer is usually a good thing for a person’s career so I gotta think this is gonna be pretty good for me and I’m pretty excited about it.
EL: After you found out, you got back on the bus. What was it like to hear the combination of joking, applause, and jeers from your former teammates?
BP: They’re a good group of guys. I’ve had a really fun time with them. I’m gonna miss them all. You build bonds with them and they like to give you a hard time, but they’re really happy for you in the end.
EL: Did you think about the possibility of you being traded at all this past week?
BP: Ya know, it’s always a possibility, but it’s something you really don’t expect. But when it happens it happens, and it’s something you can be happy about.
EL: Have you thought at all about pitching against some of these guys (current Salem Red Sox players) if you end up in Kinston (Cleveland’s Advanced-A affiliate)?
BP: No (laughs), it’s just kind of setting in. I just found out 15 minutes ago. So I’m just starting to get a grasp on it all. It’ll be interesting. We play each other in a week, so we’ll find out if we get to do it or not.
EL: Have you been contacted yet by anyone in the Indians organization yet?
BP: No, not yet. I haven’t talked to anyone yet regarding details of where I’m going or anything like that. That all will get settled when it does.
EL: Is it strange that you’ve spent a year and a half in one organization and now you’re going to another?
BP: It’s a little different. I’ve always loved the Red Sox and it’s been a great organization. It’s gonna be different making that transition but baseball is baseball, and baseball is a business as far as this goes. So I’m looking forward to it. I think this will be a good experience for me.
Price began the season with Greenville and made eight starts for the Drive, compiling a 3-2 record with a 2.45 ERA, 40 strikeouts, and 10 walks. In 11 starts for Salem, Price went 1-6 with a 6.54 ERA, recording 57 strikeouts and 19 walks. The righthander spent three years at Rice University before the Red Sox drafted him with their supplemental round selection in 2008. In his pro debut in 2008, Price went 1-3 with a 3.83 ERA in 12 games (nine starts) for the Lowell Spinners, racking up 43 Ks and only 10 walks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven