Rumor Mill: Sox after Gonzalez and Bell?
|07.31.09 at 11:30 am ET|
Here’s an interesting one: the Daily News is reporting that the Sox are not only in “full pursuit” of Adrian Gonzalez, but may also be able to get Padres closer Heath Bell included in a deal for the slugger. The report says the Sox would have to include flamethrowing rookie Daniel Bard in such a package deal.
The 31-year-old Bell has 25 saves and a 2.01 ERA this year, though it’s worth noting his home field is the pitcher-friendly PETCO Park. He has 48 strikeouts in 40.1 innings in his first All-Star season.
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected