Red Sox won’t sign international amateur Payano
|08.04.09 at 8:48 pm ET|
Though the Red Sox had been widely expected (according to multiple reports) to sign Victor Payano, a left-handed pitcher out of the Dominican, for a bonus of roughly $900,000, the team decided not to sign the hurler after he failed to pass a team physical, according to multiple baseball sources. The 16-year-old, listed by his agent at 6-foot-4, 180 pounds, reportedly features a mid- to high-80s fastball, breaking ball and changeup. His frame suggests the possibility of future increases in velocity. But once the Sox determined that he was a medical risk, they decided not to sign him.
The Sox have reached agreements with other prominent players during the current international amateur signing period, which runs from July 2 through the end of August. The players whose signings have already become official include shortstop Jose Vinicio and pitchers Mario and Raul Alcantara. The team, however, is holding off on the announcement of those signings or any others until it concludes physicals and background investigations on all the players with whom it has reached agreement.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller