Red Sox won’t sign international amateur Payano
|08.04.09 at 8:48 pm ET|
Though the Red Sox had been widely expected (according to multiple reports) to sign Victor Payano, a left-handed pitcher out of the Dominican, for a bonus of roughly $900,000, the team decided not to sign the hurler after he failed to pass a team physical, according to multiple baseball sources. The 16-year-old, listed by his agent at 6-foot-4, 180 pounds, reportedly features a mid- to high-80s fastball, breaking ball and changeup. His frame suggests the possibility of future increases in velocity. But once the Sox determined that he was a medical risk, they decided not to sign him.
The Sox have reached agreements with other prominent players during the current international amateur signing period, which runs from July 2 through the end of August. The players whose signings have already become official include shortstop Jose Vinicio and pitchers Mario and Raul Alcantara. The team, however, is holding off on the announcement of those signings or any others until it concludes physicals and background investigations on all the players with whom it has reached agreement.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston