Red Sox won’t sign international amateur Payano
|08.04.09 at 8:48 pm ET|
Though the Red Sox had been widely expected (according to multiple reports) to sign Victor Payano, a left-handed pitcher out of the Dominican, for a bonus of roughly $900,000, the team decided not to sign the hurler after he failed to pass a team physical, according to multiple baseball sources. The 16-year-old, listed by his agent at 6-foot-4, 180 pounds, reportedly features a mid- to high-80s fastball, breaking ball and changeup. His frame suggests the possibility of future increases in velocity. But once the Sox determined that he was a medical risk, they decided not to sign him.
The Sox have reached agreements with other prominent players during the current international amateur signing period, which runs from July 2 through the end of August. The players whose signings have already become official include shortstop Jose Vinicio and pitchers Mario and Raul Alcantara. The team, however, is holding off on the announcement of those signings or any others until it concludes physicals and background investigations on all the players with whom it has reached agreement.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles