Will Beckett Miss Varitek?
|08.18.09 at 7:18 pm ET|
Though Jason Varitek was originally in the Red Sox‘ starting lineup against the Blue Jays, he was scratched due to what manager Terry Francona told reporters was a stiff neck. Victor Martinez will instead catch Josh Beckett, marking the first time that the two will be paired together for a game.
This is the third time that Beckett will start with a catcher other than Varitek this year. In the prior two starts, when paired with George Kottaras, he is 0-2 with a 10.97 ERA. When paired with Varitek, Beckett is 14-2 with a 2.52 ERA. Varitek caught all of Beckett’s starts in 2008, and caught all but one of his starts in 2007. In ’07, Beckett allowed two runs in eight innings (2.25 ERA) in the only game caught by Doug Mirabelli, and had a 3.32 ERA in 29 games when paired with Varitek.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem