Will Beckett Miss Varitek?
|08.18.09 at 7:18 pm ET|
Though Jason Varitek was originally in the Red Sox‘ starting lineup against the Blue Jays, he was scratched due to what manager Terry Francona told reporters was a stiff neck. Victor Martinez will instead catch Josh Beckett, marking the first time that the two will be paired together for a game.
This is the third time that Beckett will start with a catcher other than Varitek this year. In the prior two starts, when paired with George Kottaras, he is 0-2 with a 10.97 ERA. When paired with Varitek, Beckett is 14-2 with a 2.52 ERA. Varitek caught all of Beckett’s starts in 2008, and caught all but one of his starts in 2007. In ’07, Beckett allowed two runs in eight innings (2.25 ERA) in the only game caught by Doug Mirabelli, and had a 3.32 ERA in 29 games when paired with Varitek.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles