Will Beckett Miss Varitek?
|08.18.09 at 7:18 pm ET|
Though Jason Varitek was originally in the Red Sox‘ starting lineup against the Blue Jays, he was scratched due to what manager Terry Francona told reporters was a stiff neck. Victor Martinez will instead catch Josh Beckett, marking the first time that the two will be paired together for a game.
This is the third time that Beckett will start with a catcher other than Varitek this year. In the prior two starts, when paired with George Kottaras, he is 0-2 with a 10.97 ERA. When paired with Varitek, Beckett is 14-2 with a 2.52 ERA. Varitek caught all of Beckett’s starts in 2008, and caught all but one of his starts in 2007. In ’07, Beckett allowed two runs in eight innings (2.25 ERA) in the only game caught by Doug Mirabelli, and had a 3.32 ERA in 29 games when paired with Varitek.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers