Papelbon clears air on Wagner
|08.23.09 at 6:38 pm ET|
But he also maintained his stance that he has no idea how well the move will work out.
“It’s not that it shakes the balance it’s just that you have that little bit of time of getting used to how we’re going to use this guy? What situations will he be best in? Who’s going to leave our bullpen? It’s a multitude of things,” Papelbon said. “It’s not just one specific thing. There’s a lot of things that go into this equation.
“Is Billy Wagner a great pitch and would he bring some more depth to our bullpen and make our bullpen better? There’s no question about it. But you have to also think about what have now and what we’ve been able to accomplish to this point in the season and how good we’ve been.”
Papelbon said he’s not about to tell general manager Theo Epstein how to do his job.
“That’s the general manager’s job is to make this team better and by acquiring him, that would make out team better,” Papelbon said. “I don’t know if he’s pitched this year. I haven’t followed him, I don’t know what he’s done this year to this point. I know nothing about him. I trying to following my own team and what we’re doing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster