Papelbon clears air on Wagner
|08.23.09 at 6:38 pm ET|
But he also maintained his stance that he has no idea how well the move will work out.
“It’s not that it shakes the balance it’s just that you have that little bit of time of getting used to how we’re going to use this guy? What situations will he be best in? Who’s going to leave our bullpen? It’s a multitude of things,” Papelbon said. “It’s not just one specific thing. There’s a lot of things that go into this equation.
“Is Billy Wagner a great pitch and would he bring some more depth to our bullpen and make our bullpen better? There’s no question about it. But you have to also think about what have now and what we’ve been able to accomplish to this point in the season and how good we’ve been.”
Papelbon said he’s not about to tell general manager Theo Epstein how to do his job.
“That’s the general manager’s job is to make this team better and by acquiring him, that would make out team better,” Papelbon said. “I don’t know if he’s pitched this year. I haven’t followed him, I don’t know what he’s done this year to this point. I know nothing about him. I trying to following my own team and what we’re doing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players