Papelbon clears air on Wagner
|08.23.09 at 6:38 pm ET|
But he also maintained his stance that he has no idea how well the move will work out.
“It’s not that it shakes the balance it’s just that you have that little bit of time of getting used to how we’re going to use this guy? What situations will he be best in? Who’s going to leave our bullpen? It’s a multitude of things,” Papelbon said. “It’s not just one specific thing. There’s a lot of things that go into this equation.
“Is Billy Wagner a great pitch and would he bring some more depth to our bullpen and make our bullpen better? There’s no question about it. But you have to also think about what have now and what we’ve been able to accomplish to this point in the season and how good we’ve been.”
Papelbon said he’s not about to tell general manager Theo Epstein how to do his job.
“That’s the general manager’s job is to make this team better and by acquiring him, that would make out team better,” Papelbon said. “I don’t know if he’s pitched this year. I haven’t followed him, I don’t know what he’s done this year to this point. I know nothing about him. I trying to following my own team and what we’re doing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin