Papelbon clears air on Wagner
|08.23.09 at 6:38 pm ET|
But he also maintained his stance that he has no idea how well the move will work out.
“It’s not that it shakes the balance it’s just that you have that little bit of time of getting used to how we’re going to use this guy? What situations will he be best in? Who’s going to leave our bullpen? It’s a multitude of things,” Papelbon said. “It’s not just one specific thing. There’s a lot of things that go into this equation.
“Is Billy Wagner a great pitch and would he bring some more depth to our bullpen and make our bullpen better? There’s no question about it. But you have to also think about what have now and what we’ve been able to accomplish to this point in the season and how good we’ve been.”
Papelbon said he’s not about to tell general manager Theo Epstein how to do his job.
“That’s the general manager’s job is to make this team better and by acquiring him, that would make out team better,” Papelbon said. “I don’t know if he’s pitched this year. I haven’t followed him, I don’t know what he’s done this year to this point. I know nothing about him. I trying to following my own team and what we’re doing.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston