Tito on Daisuke: Sometimes you have to butt heads
|08.24.09 at 6:11 pm ET|
Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Daisuke Matsuzaka could return to the Boston rotation as early as Sept. 8 following his 37-pitch outing for the Gulf Coast Red Sox on Monday.
“Everything was pretty good,” Francona said. “Good breaking ball, he commanded his fastball and he stayed down. (He) threw some good changeups. I thought it was generally really positive.”
(Click here to watch video of the outing, courtesy WBBH-TV Fort Myers, Fla.)
The right-hander is rehabbing and strengthening his right shoulder and he will make his next appearance for Double-A Portland on Saturday. He is expected to make at least one more appearance before a decision is made on whether to return in early September.
“The improvement on his strength numbers are phenomenal,” Francona said.
Francona said that the initial conflict over the training program for Matsuzaka is now water under the bridge and both the team and Matsuzaka are moving ahead in unison.
“He’s done a phenomental job. Getting him back at full strength, being Dice-K will be very welcome. I think we probably needed to do this. Sometimes you have to butt heads, however you get there, getting there is what’s important and we’ve done that.”
Francona will see Matsuzaka in Boston when he returns on Tuesday to meet with the team.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Big weeks for Acosta and Welch
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster