Sources: Penny was claimed on waivers
|08.25.09 at 8:33 am ET|
According to multiple sources, pitcher Brad Penny was claimed off waivers earlier this month, and then subsequently pulled back by the Red Sox. With the 48-hour window in which a deal could be worked out by the Red Sox and the claiming team already passed, Penny, who is being skipped over for his turn in the rotation this week, can’t be dealt by the Sox.
Penny is scheduled to be available for relief duty both Wednesday and Thursday, with a simulated game planned for Friday if he isn’t used. Righty is currently 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA and has suffered losses in each of his last four outings. Since the All-Star break he is 1-5 with a 7.82 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo