Sources: Penny was claimed on waivers
|08.25.09 at 8:33 am ET|
According to multiple sources, pitcher Brad Penny was claimed off waivers earlier this month, and then subsequently pulled back by the Red Sox. With the 48-hour window in which a deal could be worked out by the Red Sox and the claiming team already passed, Penny, who is being skipped over for his turn in the rotation this week, can’t be dealt by the Sox.
Penny is scheduled to be available for relief duty both Wednesday and Thursday, with a simulated game planned for Friday if he isn’t used. Righty is currently 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA and has suffered losses in each of his last four outings. Since the All-Star break he is 1-5 with a 7.82 ERA.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners drop one in extras, timely hitting for Sea Dogs and Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team