Byrd in Red Sox Sunday plans?
|08.29.09 at 7:47 pm ET|
In a move that could signal a start for the Red Sox on Sunday, righthander Paul Byrd was scratched from a scheduled start tonight for Triple-A Pawtucket. The Red Sox are short a starting pitcher after Tim Wakefield was scratched from his Tuesday start with lower back pain.
Byrd is the likely move to start Sunday’s game against Toronto. Meanwhile, the Red Sox recalled righthander reliever Marcus McBeth to provide depth to the bullpen for Saturday’s game and optioned righthander Junichi Tazawa to the Gulf Coast League Red Sox.
Jon Lester’s start was moved from Sunday to Tuesday at Tampa Bay, leaving a vacancy for the series finale against the Blue Jays.
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected