Wakefield: ‘I’ve gone this far, I’m not going to pull the plug now’
|09.15.09 at 5:19 pm ET|
Tim Wakefield threw a side session of just more than 40 pitches at Fenway Park on Tuesday. Asked how it went compared to the other similar endeavors following a cortisone shot, the knuckleballer simply said, “The same. I got them all out.”
Asked then how he felt compared to this point when heading into one of his previous two starts, the pitcher added, “The same. Nothing new.”
As sub-optimal as “nothing new” might be to Wakefield these days after he battles through the herniated disc pushing on a nerve in his back, it also figures to be good enough for the hurler to still be eyeing a start with the Red Sox on Sunday in Baltimore.
“I’ve gone this far, I’m not going to pull the plug now,” he said. “I’ve put too much work into it that I’m not going to shut it down. I’m leaving it in the doctors’ hands and they have to tell me when to stop. And they haven’t told me anything like that.”
Wakefield admits he is on the edge of being healthy enough to make that next start, and is of the mind that ‘ while physically able ‘ another cortisone shot probably isn’t in the cards. (“I probably could, but I don’t think it is going to help it,” he said.) As long as the strength in his left leg remains where it is now, which is approximately 60 percent of what his right leg is, he has the go-ahead to give it a whirl.
As Wakefield explains it, “The whole premise of this is strength maintains itself, which obviously it’s not very good now ‘ it’s 60 percent now compared to 100 percent in my right leg ‘ if it starts to go down then it’s time to stop.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins