Wakefield: ‘I’ve gone this far, I’m not going to pull the plug now’
|09.15.09 at 5:19 pm ET|
Tim Wakefield threw a side session of just more than 40 pitches at Fenway Park on Tuesday. Asked how it went compared to the other similar endeavors following a cortisone shot, the knuckleballer simply said, “The same. I got them all out.”
Asked then how he felt compared to this point when heading into one of his previous two starts, the pitcher added, “The same. Nothing new.”
As sub-optimal as “nothing new” might be to Wakefield these days after he battles through the herniated disc pushing on a nerve in his back, it also figures to be good enough for the hurler to still be eyeing a start with the Red Sox on Sunday in Baltimore.
“I’ve gone this far, I’m not going to pull the plug now,” he said. “I’ve put too much work into it that I’m not going to shut it down. I’m leaving it in the doctors’ hands and they have to tell me when to stop. And they haven’t told me anything like that.”
Wakefield admits he is on the edge of being healthy enough to make that next start, and is of the mind that ‘ while physically able ‘ another cortisone shot probably isn’t in the cards. (“I probably could, but I don’t think it is going to help it,” he said.) As long as the strength in his left leg remains where it is now, which is approximately 60 percent of what his right leg is, he has the go-ahead to give it a whirl.
As Wakefield explains it, “The whole premise of this is strength maintains itself, which obviously it’s not very good now ‘ it’s 60 percent now compared to 100 percent in my right leg ‘ if it starts to go down then it’s time to stop.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.