Wakefield: ‘I’ve gone this far, I’m not going to pull the plug now’
|09.15.09 at 5:19 pm ET|
Tim Wakefield threw a side session of just more than 40 pitches at Fenway Park on Tuesday. Asked how it went compared to the other similar endeavors following a cortisone shot, the knuckleballer simply said, “The same. I got them all out.”
Asked then how he felt compared to this point when heading into one of his previous two starts, the pitcher added, “The same. Nothing new.”
As sub-optimal as “nothing new” might be to Wakefield these days after he battles through the herniated disc pushing on a nerve in his back, it also figures to be good enough for the hurler to still be eyeing a start with the Red Sox on Sunday in Baltimore.
“I’ve gone this far, I’m not going to pull the plug now,” he said. “I’ve put too much work into it that I’m not going to shut it down. I’m leaving it in the doctors’ hands and they have to tell me when to stop. And they haven’t told me anything like that.”
Wakefield admits he is on the edge of being healthy enough to make that next start, and is of the mind that ‘ while physically able ‘ another cortisone shot probably isn’t in the cards. (“I probably could, but I don’t think it is going to help it,” he said.) As long as the strength in his left leg remains where it is now, which is approximately 60 percent of what his right leg is, he has the go-ahead to give it a whirl.
As Wakefield explains it, “The whole premise of this is strength maintains itself, which obviously it’s not very good now ‘ it’s 60 percent now compared to 100 percent in my right leg ‘ if it starts to go down then it’s time to stop.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017